Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #6571
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Putting a switch and relocating mine this weekend...not cool running without a dash!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #6572
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I'm glad that HID is working for you. I notice that you have the "older" big ballast that does not have the external ignitor. My experience is with the thin ballast and external ignitor. Maybe that has something to do with the problem.
I run HID, thin ballasts, internal igniters, mounted on the left and right "wings" of britannia composites lynx fairing, ~3" from instrument cluster, no problems whatsoever after five months. I do use an override switch to avoid starting HID's during bike starting (and stalling and restarting.)
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #6573
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Yukon, if you have thin ballasts, then you should have ignitor(s) on the wire going to the bulb.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #6574
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
Yeah, if you got digital ballasts with internal ignitors, that's something new. You got a brand name or a link? Or a pic?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #6575
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 139
Ignitors?

Ian at Britannia Composites sent me these ballasts with the Lynx fairing. They do have built-in ignitors.
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/produ...-ballasts.html
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #6576
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
Well y poor little bike had a rough year last year so i've begun the process of getting some of the dirt off. The upper airbox panels were very rough and I didn't like the colours so I did a back alley cleanup with acrylic rattle-cans. Now she looks tidier and different... She's got her mojo back.... almost.

She's ready now for a minor rewiring including a new ignition system (attempted theft killed the old barrel) and a switch to kill the lights (legal requirement around SE Asia) and an oil change (8000 miles overland and the oil still looks like new, I love this bike so much).
The parts were shot over in acrylic primer then the sides had three coats of gloss acrylic yellow and the upper panel had two of matt black and 2 more of matt laquer. I'm toying with the idea of flatting out the side panels but they do look so nice as they are. They're curing in the sun now, they're probably fine but leaving them until the morning before they get handled at all
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #6577
Hat
n00b

Oddometer: 7
That looks properly nice, you've done a good job there.
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #6578
jtw000
Survivor

Thanks, Hat. It's a good start. I have some flat laquer and I'm thinking of blowing the yellow panels over with it. They look good but they just don't look very rugged. She needs a little splash of yellow in some other places too but I'm not over-working her. We have a big next week, we're riding from Bangkok to Phnom Penh so she's only going to get dirty again.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #6579
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
Ian at Britannia Composites sent me these ballasts with the Lynx fairing. They do have built-in ignitors.
http://www.futurevisionhid.com/produ...-ballasts.html

Aha !!! That is something new, indeed ! Read the ad. "Integrated power controllers reduce electrical magnetic interference...."

Those darn ignitors were the problem I bet!

I'm think I'm gonna order a one of these and try it.

Thanks.

These forum sites are great.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #6580
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Aha !!! That is something new, indeed ! Read the ad. "Integrated power controllers reduce electrical magnetic interference...."

Those darn ignitors were the problem I bet!

I'm think I'm gonna order a one of these and try it.

Thanks.

These forum sites are great.
Well, that is something new, though they are a compromise at 19.5mm thick compared to 13mm for the mass market digital ballasts like what you find on eBay and 23mm for the traditional non-digital ballast.

I'm kinda amazed that there's enough room for it on top of the air intake.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #6581
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
I had "almost" enough room for mine. I had to clearance the holes a touch just to make sure there was not too much flexing of the plastic. It is tight, but fits. I did not get a measurement on mine, but it looks like an inch and half maybe. I have another one kicking around I will measure it sometime.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
GSALite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #6582
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

My balasts are 1 3/8 inches.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #6583
jtw000
Survivor

I have twin HIDs in my headlights, that's why I switched to Buell headlights, the standard bowl doesn't accomodate HID very well. So initially I used a digital ballast set which worked beautifully but two days before I was due to leave, one of them burnt out for some reason. I never had this problem with the older type which i much prefer. Having the external ignitor makes them more awkward in my opinion. So I had to buy a set at very short notice. So I got a set from Ebay close enough that I was able to collect them. They were smaller, about half the width of full size ballasts and roughly the same thickness but no external ignitor. I hoped they would be an ideal compromise until I plugged them in. One was ok, the other one arced and the outer casing lit up like a christmas tree. So it seemed to work and I didn't have a lot of choice so I insulated everything with tape and it I used the questionable one as full beam. It got me as far as Hungary and then it died and blew the fuse to my tail light. So there are weird and wonderful things out there but in my opinion, let someone else try them out first. I'm trying to find a pair of the old style units because I know they work more reliably in the longer term. It seemed well made and was anodised blue. Worth a try i guess and one is still working perfectly after a lot of shaking about.
As for space, I had no issues. They fit nicely under the airbox casing.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #6584
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

I have a set of the Hella HIDs I used on my bike. Two lights, two balasts and all the wiring in original box not used. If you are interested I would ship it for $200.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #6585
jtw000
Survivor

Are you talking to me? If so I appreciate the offer but I'm currently in the part of the world where they're made and I can pick them up new for around $50. I had mine stripped down again today and there is a substantial gap on top of the airbox, plenty big enough to for the ballasts so good stuff. When I get settled I'm going to rebuild the lights with a new set of old style ballasts and will look to mount mine there. Personally, I have found that 4300 ones work best. Does anyone have a different opinion on that?