Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #6601
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Charcoal canister came off first thing. Tool tube is in place. K and n filter is on. Just got the new handguards and spoilers in the mail yesterday they aren't installed yet. Hopefully tomorrow .

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
GSALite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #6602
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
update on my weird blinking dashboard-
was at my parents house (where the bike is temporarily)
bike started up just fine (except it would only start if i held the clutch lever), didnt stall, ran fine, took it for a quick spin.
no dashboard whatsoever, no turn signal. since muddyrabbit had basically the same issue i hope its the battery. but for a bike with dead battery it ran pretty well.
gonna try to get it to the dealer for inspection and hopefully the batt will be warrantied since its covered for 2 years.
then hopefully i will bring her home so i can do a little commuting with it when i dont feel up to pedaling to work.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #6603
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
...side tank missing because the mounting brackets had a crack in them. Next time I have a whole new plan for the mounting.
Fine looking ride. Is/was your side tank an XTank? Can I ask how the brackets cracked? I'm wondering if I should protect mine a little maybe with a rack.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #6604
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
Check out my recent pics in this thread. The side tank was an Acerbis I attached with home made ally brackets. They had a few stress fractures from folding them when I fitted and the abuse of a long journey made them worse. The cracks weren't that bad but I decided not to tempt fate and just leave the tank off for now. I'll get something better for next time and i have ideas already.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #6605
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
If you want to transform your Xco front to an Xch, I'm selling all the stuff you may need: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793396
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #6606
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Here are a few pics of my current mods. I debated over the yellow vs. white spoilers for a while, before I even saw jtw000's yellow mods. I picked the white because I didn't feel I had enough yellow accents, so then I saw his and liked it a lot. I like the white, but the yellow really pops. I like the white for some more bright visibility from the front.

The tool tube is mounted where the cannister was. It is set up to carry a fuel bottle or tool kit.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #6607
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSALite View Post
The tool tube is mounted where the cannister was. It is set up to carry a fuel bottle or tool kit.
]
Do you have any closer picture of the tool tube mounting?

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #6608
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Here are some more at different angles. The trick was to make sure it is out to the side far enough that the tube does not hit the chain guard. Took me a couple different tries, and made up some new four letter words, but now it is good. No rubbing, but it is close.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #6609
Flachlandtiroler
sincere amateur

Oddometer: 216
jtw000, your bike looks great! Is that the factory yellow? Could you tell us the color code, please?
Flachlandtiroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #6610
jtw000
Survivor

No, I'm afraid not. I'm in Bangkok and found a budget store in a mall with half a dozen tins in a sales bin in the corner and thought, "ooo... that one." I can't read anything on the tin other than "Acrylic" and that's fine on plastic so I went for it.
GSAlite, I can't put my tube there for obvious reasons, ie it fouls the rear luggage frame. Nice job though, it's a neat place.
You've got different hand guards, mine are standard BMW but they have metal backings which have saved her from damage when some arsehole kicked her over in London and left her lying in the road. I'm not sure about your spotlight. I love the way you're thinking outside the box in only having one and mounting it in an unusual place but it doesn't seem quite right.
From personal experience though I know how tricky is it to find a spot because all the tolerances are so tight.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #6611
GSALite
Studly Adventurer

Yeah everyplace I put it was a compromise and this place is the least of all evils. I actually like the stock headlight as is, it seems OK for how I ride at night. With the HID on the bars I can aim it wherever I want. Nothing is permanent and I have only had the bike for a couple weeks. My 12GS has seen many changes over the six years I have had it. Now I can keep that mostly street oriented and use the XC for my dirt riding. It is a fun bike.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #6612
jtw000
Survivor

Yes they are. I almost wonder how a big, fat company like BMW managed to produce something like this. It's a great, fun little machine that just loves to misbehave (or is that just me?)
I actually think the headlight is a very cheeky of BMW. It's dangerous and throws no light, it's bad enough on the XC but they fitted it to the HP2 as well. You definitely need some kind of auxiliary light but as you say, it's a compromise and where do you put them? The ideal would be tucked in below the headlight but you're going to need some custom brackets.
I didn't realise you'd only had yours a few weeks. Stick with her, you'll grow to love it. I bought mine on a whim when my F800gs was stolen and I needed a bike to get to work on. I never meant to keep it, now, I wouldn't want anything else, she's the perfect little all-rounder.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #6613
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
manhattan today...

uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #6614
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Aux Tank Update - - help request

I've spent the last few weeks getting an ACERBIS 1.3g aux tank integrated into my HB pannier mount. I'll post the details soon but today was the big day to see if it worked and....... it sucks NOT.

Here is a pic of the plumbing

I thought running the purple tube that goes down into the aux tank to the air intake vent would "suck" the fuel out of the aux tank. It doesn't. Maybe I didn't wait long enough? Am I just doing it wrong? The bike runs great with this arrangement just no fuel seems to flow from the aux tank..

Suggestions??? Thanks
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #6615
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
I've spent the last few weeks getting an ACERBIS 1.3g aux tank integrated into my HB pannier mount. I'll post the details soon but today was the big day to see if it worked and....... it sucks NOT.

Here is a pic of the plumbing

I thought running the purple tube that goes down into the aux tank to the air intake vent would "suck" the fuel out of the aux tank. It doesn't. Maybe I didn't wait long enough? Am I just doing it wrong? The bike runs great with this arrangement just no fuel seems to flow from the aux tank..

Suggestions??? Thanks
You are doing it a bit wrong, yes. :)
That purple fuel line should reach uninterrupted to the inside bottom of that aux tank, one way or another. Either by somehow installing an external fuel line feed/tap to the bottom, or by somehow extending the fuel line also from the inside of that aux tank gas cap. In any event, you need to find a way to have that purple fuel line reach to the inside bottom of that aux tank, without any air gaps in between for the suction to work.