Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #6706
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Ok guys, I think we have another looming problem with the steering head bearings on these bikes.

Mine has definitely notched out after 15-16k miles. I happened to come across something about this on a 650GS thread. The GS apparently uses the same part and they are experiencing the same issues.

One theory is that the vibration characteristics of the 650 single is causing a wear pattern on the bearings. Mine is notched in the position where the wheel is straight forward. That would be where the bearing spends most of its time. Maybe those long-distance, high speed runs have taken their toll.

The aftermarket part is SKF 320/28 XQ and it is about the same price as the BMW part at retail.

They are about $50 each and two are needed.

These sort of things keep coming up.
If my catalog is correct it is the same bearing for most BMW steering stems. $34 each. All Balls brand bearings. Part Number 41-6249 at any Tucker Rocky dealer, the All Balls PN is 22-1024.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #6707
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Any idea who makes the All Balls ?

I've learned to always go top-of-the-line on bearings. Id be curious to see the etchings on the All Balls pieces.

The SKF part that I looked up was from Motion Industries.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #6708
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Put a dose of Water Wetter in your radiator to help the cooling capability.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10
This or Engine Ice, I have been meaning to do this.

Colebatch I like the cooling mods!

But wondering if either of you guys run one of these wetting agents? Do you think it helps? Which one? How much should you drain out first and how? thanks!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #6709
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

The dose of Water Wetter (WW) isnt big. The liquid capacity of the G series is not much, only about 1.3 L, and when you calculate the amount of WW to add, it is small, a couple of ounces or something. Don't drain anything. Just add that to the overflow container and it will eventually be sucked back in to the radiator.

My vintage Jaguar friends use it to help cool those V12's.

leafman60 screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 05:36 AM
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #6710
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Any idea who makes the All Balls ?

I've learned to always go top-of-the-line on bearings. Id be curious to see the etchings on the All Balls pieces.

The SKF part that I looked up was from Motion Industries.
Ya know, I'm not sure on that. I think the wheel bearings I have in a drawer are All Balls though.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #6711
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

KML bearings after I opened the All Balls box.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #6712
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
Thumbs up for all-balls. All my bearings were replaced with them and I've seen over 20k miles since without so much as a wobble. I don't think it's an issue. At the end of the day these are bikes with long forks which take a fair bit of abuse, I would expect to wear the bearings.
I know America is gagging for the Yamaha singles but i think the issue is more complicated. I don't think Yamaha can produce them to the quantities required to open up into such a large market without switching factories and they're not willing to gamble on doing that. The Tenere and MT03 are (were) assembled in France and have major quality issues. I looked at one for my trip and did the trick of buying a dealer a cup of coffee. I even found one who owned an MT03. Both bikes will rot to the point of being virtually unusable on the fore-court of a UK dealership. The Tenere also has a balance issue. I met a lot of riders on them and they all had one thing in common, every experienced rider had managed to drop it in low speed maneuvers. I think they carry too much weight up top. I also met a tour group that used them, they said they had to retire them at 20k miles or else they were known to start having engine problems. So... I went BMW and actually saved myself some money.
I also think they're under-powered but I rode a mates which he had prepped and it pulled like a train so there are ways to sort that out... he dropped it twice and was seriously injured. He had done 40k on an F800gs and not dropped it once.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #6713
tenfive0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Whoís mentally ill and would what to move to ride that pile of crap? Sounds like its good for us they didnít bring them to America.

Please donít profile or stereo type, not all Americans want a 6,000 square foot house, 40ímotor coach, 4 motorcycles and an 8Ē johnson. Iím happy with my 12Ē and the wifeís single Dís. Big bore weapons itís still our right to have as many as prefered. As for the military I donít want the biggest I want the best. If you want the biggest military I suggest moving the China .
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #6714
jtw000
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfive0 View Post
Whoís mentally ill and would what to move to ride that pile of crap? Sounds like its good for us they didnít bring them to America.

Please donít profile or stereo type, not all Americans want a 6,000 square foot house, 40ímotor coach, 4 motorcycles and an 8Ē johnson. Iím happy with my 12Ē and the wifeís single Dís. Big bore weapons itís still our right to have as many as prefered. As for the military I donít want the biggest I want the best. If you want the biggest military I suggest moving the China .

Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #6715
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I have a 15 Johnson. Planning to change the water pump in it soon and put it back on my fishing boat.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #6716
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
KML bearings after I opened the All Balls box.

Thanks for that, muddyrabbit.

From the KML website :

Since our establishment in Hong Kong in 1980, we have been one of the leading companies to export China made bearings to markets all over the world.

I am not assuming all chinese bearings are inferior but I have experinced bad luck with them. For this steering head application, I'm gonna stick with a name brand like SKF or Fafnir/Timken.

I wonder what BMW is using.

leafman60 screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 05:34 AM
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #6717
jtw000
Survivor

Quote:
Thanks for that, muddyrabbit.

From the KML website :

Since our establishment in Hong Kong in 1980, we have been one of the leading companies to export China made bearings to markets all over the world.

I am not assuming all chinese bearings are inferior but I have experinced bad luck with them. For this steering head application, I'm gonna stick with a name brand like SKF or Fafnir/Timken.

I wonder what BMW is using.

Whatever's cheap. These are great bikes but there are corners that have been cut.

One thing that I would love to know is how reliability and durability compare from the Rotax powered, Aprilia assembled 07 and the completely Chinese built yellow one. From what I can see there seems no real difference which is great to hear. On the one hand, I hate the lowered suspension on the yellow model but i love the steel rear subframe and would love one on mine. I don't like the colours though which is a bizarre thing coming from a guy who just painted his yellow.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #6718
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

You are a complete tool for using that blue text. Even if you do have a 15" johnson.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #6719
jtw000
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
You are a complete tool for using that blue text. Even if you do have a 15" johnson.

15 inches is a pretty complete tool... (ahhh, you edited your post)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #6720
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

If i remember i will poke around today to see if I have access to another bearing brand and forgot.