Oddometer: 133
Here are most brake manufacturers

http://www.guiamotera.com/consumibles/frenos.php
jezuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #7352
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,514
Some of the XChallenge guys use the cheapest organic pads because the HH sintered ones will wear out the rotors more quickly when in sand, dirt and grime. I use the HH sintered EBC pads myself.

Read posts near here for more: LINKY

After 6 weeks off I rode to work today as we are not in the deep freeze like the rest of the N-NE US is. My XCountry Felt like a dear old friend... I missed the feeling. I don't like riding home in the dark with icy roads on 2 lane roads with just enough traffic that I can't use my hi beams. It's always fun blasting past 4 cars after a slow turn on the back roads!

I recently bought a Garmin Montana 650 so I'll be installing the "rugged" cradle for it soon, which includes battery connections. It is quite the GPS - big bright screen and does both routes and tracks with a lot of customizable features... so if you've been waiting for one, now might be the time to buy. Like always I kept track of my learnings on my website (I must be crazy): LINKY

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #7353
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Yeah. I just fit a pair of EBC HH on the rear. The previous units were stock Brembo pieces that I noticed were also sintered. I think my front pads are due for changing too and I've ordered EBC for that caliper too.

I'vd read a lot of material concerning the effect of sintered pads on rotors. Many factors apparently affect this. Rotor material (stainless or non-stainless) as well as riding style and location.

Regarding sand riding, I've seen various theories. Some people say the softer pads can actually cause more rotor wear in sand than the harder pads. The thought is that you are exerting more clamping pressure on the soft pads to achieve needed bite on the rotor and the sand trapped in between is abraded more severely on the rotor surface. Who knows. Hell.

I decided to stick with what came on the bike - sintered (metallic) pads.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #7354
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like the Husqvarna (BMW) Terra / Srada is becoming all the rage nowadays. If there is a successor to our X series, this it it.

I think they should do well and a big part of that is the price points, $6999.00.

I remember when I first (accidentally) saw a BMW X. I was at the dealer in Daytona. They had both a XChallenge and a XCountry. I remember looking with interest at both of them and sitting on them. The salesman said, "BMW is trying to offer something to appeal to kids buying jap bikes etc." When I looked at the $10,000+ price tag, I said "You think that's gonna appeal to a kid looking at a DR650?"

I forgot about the bikes until a couple of years later. I sold my beloved 1970 triumph 650 and I wanted another narrow, nimble and lightweight bike for curvy roads. If it would run on dirt, all the better.

I accidently stopped by a BMW dealer in Atlanta and the rest is history.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #7355
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Question XCountry Off Road Performance / Wheel Size

I have a couple questions about the X-Country and its performance off-road. I like its light weight, power and seat height. Iíve been thinking about trying to find one (Iím in Canada which makes it more difficult) but I donít want my riding to be limited by my bike choice. The reasons Iím thinking X-Country instead of X-Challenge are the seat height, subframe and availability.

By way of background, I have little motorcycling experience but years of mountain biking under my belt. Riding I would like to do over the next few years includes the backcountry discovery routes, CDR, Moab (e.g. White Rim perimeter trail) and Baja. Iím 5í10Ē, weigh 140 lbs and expect to travel lightly with no more than 50-60 lbs of total additional weight on the bike. I will be riding at reasonably conservative speeds off-road (I'm no Colebatch ) but want to be able to handle rocks, sand, mud and on occasion moderately technical terrain.

Given appropriate tires, how suitable is the X-Country for the riding Iíve listed? Will the stock suspension be ok at moderate speeds? How big of an issue/limitation is the wheel size? Any other issues I should be aware of?

Also, how difficult is it to change the wheel size to 21/18? Is it simply a matter of buying the wheels and putting them on or does it require changes to the shock, forks, brakes, etc.?

Iíve searched the forums but havenít really found specific answers. Iím hoping those of you with experience with the bike can help me out.

Evan
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #7356
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,543
Evan, based on what you've said, there are other bikes that would seem to be a better fit. Sounds to me like a standard dual sport bike will have the right wheels and suspension, be plenty able to carry the light load, and perform well on the types of non-paved routes you mention. Plus, if this is your first bike, a used dual sport will absorb the laydowns and crashes with little damage. Lots of guys with dual sports figger on dumping the bike at least once on every ride! Dump a XCountry and it's gonna cost you some money.

I wouldn't be too concerned about ride height. To ride the CDR or Moab, you want a bike with good suspension travel. All you need is a bike light enough that when you come to a stop you can hold the bike with one toe stretched out to touch the ground. The rest of the time ride height is not a factor.

The real appeal to me of the XCountry is that it's a chameleon. You can use it as a daily commuter with good mpg's, or ride the slab at 80mph, or load it up with camping gear and take it on a multi-day tour. It also does fine on gravel roads especially with a lighter rider.

Have you looked at the "Shortypants" thread? At 5'10" you don't really qualify, but there's good info there about dual sports and ride height.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #7357
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 147
I've only been riding for 18 months. I've owned my XCountry for 15 months, it is my first and only bike and I couldn't be happier. I took a bunch of off-road riding courses and rode 80% of the WABDR on it last summer -- continued on up through Clinton BC then back on dirt through Gang Ranch, over Heckman Pass and down the 18% grade dirt into Bella Coola, then ferry to Port Hardy and 500 mile length of Vancouver Island on dirt roads. Stunningly great routes on a fantastic bike.
I've dropped it a half dozen times mostly on dirt but twice on pavement -- scuffed my handguards a bit otherwise zero damage. I have motech engine bars (beefy but pain in the backside you have to remove them to get at the battery etc.) Do get the Touratech bendable folding shift lever and rear brake lever.
All this said, Drone's approach is smart too!
You're in for great times!
Yukon Ho! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #7358
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Evan, based on what you've said, there are other bikes that would seem to be a better fit. Sounds to me like a standard dual sport bike will have the right wheels and suspension, be plenty able to carry the light load, and perform well on the types of non-paved routes you mention.

The real appeal to me of the XCountry is that it's a chameleon. You can use it as a daily commuter with good mpg's, or ride the slab at 80mph...
I know I should get a DR650 and ride it. But I really like the X bikes and am somewhat indifferent toward the DR. I'm planning on riding mostly pavement to Utah this fall. It's a long way from BC and I think the XCountry would do it better than most dual sports. So what I'm trying to understand is just how much off-road capability I would be giving up. Unfortunately, that seems to be highly subjective and difficult to nail down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
I've only been riding for 18 months. I've owned my XCountry for 15 months, it is my first and only bike and I couldn't be happier. I took a bunch of off-road riding courses and rode 80% of the WABDR on it last summer -- continued on up through Clinton BC then back on dirt through Gang Ranch, over Heckman Pass and down the 18% grade dirt into Bella Coola, then ferry to Port Hardy and 500 mile length of Vancouver Island on dirt roads. Stunningly great routes on a fantastic bike.
I've dropped it a half dozen times mostly on dirt but twice on pavement -- scuffed my handguards a bit otherwise zero damage. I have motech engine bars (beefy but pain in the backside you have to remove them to get at the battery etc.) Do get the Touratech bendable folding shift lever and rear brake lever.
Great information. Did you do that on the stock tires or something more aggressive? If you have any details of the Vancouver Island route you took, I'd be glad for a PM with those.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #7359
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivore63 View Post
I know I should get a DR650 and ride it. But I really like the X bikes and am somewhat indifferent toward the DR. I'm planning on riding mostly pavement to Utah this fall. It's a long way from BC and I think the XCountry would do it better than most dual sports. So what I'm trying to understand is just how much off-road capability I would be giving up. Unfortunately, that seems to be highly subjective and difficult to nail down.
If you're not already aware of this, there are some on this forum who when they say "off-road" they mean "on an unpaved road". In other words, they equate dirt and gravel roads as being "off road." Others say "off-road" and they mean single-track trails or jeep routes. You just have to kind of read into their posts to figure out which is which.

By adding in that you want a bike that will take you down the slab to your far away starting point, well then yes, now you are getting what makes the XCountry special. A dual sporter can be not much fun doing miles and miles of slab, while the XCountry is very capable out there duking it out with the 18-wheelers.

The 21-inch front wheel you mentioned improves stability in the dirt and gravel, but the 19-inch front wheel makes the XCountry more responsive and fun on pavement. I don't think you should worry about getting a 21-inch wheel. It's not that big a deal doing the kind of riding you're talking about.

Getting back to your question of what you're giving up, I'd say it was suspension travel. The XCountry has 9.4/8.3 front/back inches of travel; the XChallenge has 10.6" front and rear. The DR has 10.2". But since you're a relatively low weight rider, I wouldn't sweat it. Buy the bike and ride it. If you don't like it, sell it and buy something else!

It kinda sounds like you'd have a lot in common with Yukon Ho. You two might take this conversation over into PM's. Maybe even plan a meet since you're separated by just a ferryboat ride.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #7360
mcftw
hxc n33b

Oddometer: 454
A little story for you guys.

I've had my Xch for a while now, and my father always raved about the 650X series but wasn't really interested in them. Fast forward 4 years and I finally convinced him to get a Country. He's had it for almost 4 months now and it's been center stage in his garage the whole time, I'm not sure he's even touched the Monster or the 1200RT since he got it!

Now whenever anyone brings it up he just laughs and says, "it's just plain fun!"
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #7361
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,514
Evan,

+1 on what Drone said. First decision is what size and weight you want and if a "light-ish" 650 sounds like the size you want (vs. a 450 dirt oriented or a 900 street oriented), then I think it's a good fit.

Coming from a dirt bike perspective I wanted a capable offroad bike and yet comfortable on long paved stretches. I love this bike. I was going 80 mph on Hwy 1 in Baja for a couple of days in a 40 mph crosswind at times, totally comfortable... Then made a right turn and did 4WD roads with baby heads on them and dry rocky creek beds, then back onto the highway. It does it all and do NOT underestimate the awesome fuel injection system BMW has perfected. I've had it at sea level and 12,000 feet and never even thought about it, No dicking around it just runs perfect.

So I consider the XCo to be "off-road" worthy on double tracks and 4WD roads, only really limited by ground clearance, but I actually like the 17/19 combo and the big fat wide front tire. I've done a few single tracks but usually they are too tight and too rocky. The suspension is sadly lacking, especially the rear... but just slow down and don't think you are on a 450 dirt bike. I had to lower my expectations in this regard, over time (DAMHIK). Beefing up the rear shock has been a multi-year quest to me, still not done... I want to do be able to do small water bar jumps and also little rain ruts I cross, without bottoming.

Bottom line to me it sounds perfect for what you want. I've done a lot around Moab, the Rockies and even Baja. You can check out the Pics and Ride Reports at the bottom of my MODS PAGE to get an idea of the terrain I have had mine on no problem. Specifically, the White Rim Trail is TOTALLY doable but some rides in Moab have small sandstone steps or ledges so it of course can't go everywhere a real dirt bike can and you do have to plan ahead a little bit. I don't thrash my XCo and haven't laid it over, I'm older and been there done that on dirt bikes, plus it's too expensive to fix this one. It definitely is not as durable as some others so consider your riding style. But being a mountain biker I think you will catch on very quickly, it's all about reading terrain and you will adapt to the machine.

Tires are a huge choice of course. I'll give you my prefs cuz you will ask eventually!
I started out just getting the best off-road setup I could find, followed Geoffster's advice and love the Dunlop D606 rear and Conti TKC80 front. Haven't really tried others for off road but like this setup.
But the D606 will wear quickly on long pavement runs so next I just tried the "wears like iron" Mefo Explorer and they are amazing at how long the rear lasts. I don't ride in mud so they actually work surprisingly great off road as well. Others like the very similar Heidenau. I think I might prefer the TKC on the front actually since it doesn't wear out that fast like the rear.

The XCountry well she is a sweet siren alright! I totally understand the addiction! Do it!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 11:01 AM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #7362
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

The previous post by Drone has a lot of truth in it.

The XCountry was designed as a DUAL SPORT bike. It's not a dirt bike and was not intended as such. A lot of energy is devoted by some folks (with interesting posts on this thread) to convert the XCo into something it was never intended to be.

The XCo covers a lot of bases. It will tear-up a curvy paved road. Very sporty, especially with the correct dual-purpose tires. It can also be an amazingly capable long-distance and high-speed tourer, especially with the 17T front sprocket.

In mostly stock trim, the XCo is also very capable on many non-paved situations. If you want to do dirt roads or single track trails, it does quite well. If you wanna do Moab desert, very rocky surfaces with jumps and the like, you'll want more of a dirt bike which the XCo is not. Oh, you can probably make-do with the XCo in those situations but you'll need to slow down and be careful.

The 19 inch wheel is the way to go for a dual sport bike. It works just fine on the kind of dirt situations most people will encounter and it is better than a 21 on the paved road. Installing a 21 on an XCo would present fender clearance and travel interference problems.

One variable with the XCo that is easy to change is the tires. If you want to focus on the rougher side of off-road or dirt, a knobby like the TKC80 will offer better performance. If you are going to use the bike as a sporty street/touring bike, a pair of dual purpose tires such as the Michelin Anakees will provide more diversity of capability.

At 5-10, 140, you are a good size for the little bike and the standard suspension set-up will work better for you than other, heavier riders. At 200, I got much better suspension at an economical price by increasing the rear spring strength.

Who can advize someone on the proper bike for their purpose? Hard to do. Im thinking you are more interested in dirt and technical off-road running in which case more of a dirt bike may suit your needs better. If true, you'd be better off getting a more genuine dirt bike than getting an XCo and trying to convert it to something it was never intended to be.

The DR650 may be a consderation directed a little more to dirt riding. It has a height adjuster on the rear suspension linkage. It won't stay up with an XCo on the road, though.

leafman60 screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 04:57 AM
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #7363
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Tires are a huge choice of course. I'll give you my prefs cuz you will ask eventually!
I started out just getting the best off-road setup I could find, followed Geoffster's advice and love the Dunlop D606 rear and Conti TKC80 front. Haven't really tried others for off road but like this setup.
But the D606 will wear quickly on long pavement runs so next I just tried the "wears like iron" Mefo Explorer and they are amazing at how long the rear lasts. I don't ride in mud so they actually work surprisingly great off road as well. Others like the very similar Heidenau. I think I might prefer the TKC on the front actually since it doesn't wear out that fast like the rear.

The XCountry well she is a sweet siren alright! I totally understand the addiction! Do it!
First off, know that when I'm looking for answers, I consult with Drone and Snooker. Both will chat with you on the phone, giving the kind of personalized attention that's hard to provide online. Great guys both!

On tires, Snooker knows more than most how much I've experimented. Right now I have Heidenaus fore and aft. Unqualified endorsement for the front in a dry environment! It has served me for more than 15,000 miles and is finally beginning to cup.

I'm still in a quandary about the rear. I've run both standard and oversized Heidenaus, and while they wear like iron (up to 10,000 miles), the hard compound is uninspiring when cornering. The D606 is MUCH better both on pavement and off, but only lasts ~5,000 miles.

About the bike ... While some may not appreciate the comparison, it's like an iPad. Nearly everyone who has an iPad finds himself/herself using his/her desktop and laptop less and less. I still write and do spreadsheets at a desk, but email, surf, and game on the couch. I still do long distance pavement rides on my R1200RT, but for nearly everything else, I ride my X-Country. As long as I'm comfortable riding off-pavement, if you reduced me to one bike, it would be my X-Country.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #7364
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivore63 View Post
It will do what you want it to just fine, with the appropriate tires...

Great in the twisties....

Good for travelling.......

Good on the gravel.....

Good on light off road........

And they wheelie ok.............

Luckily, there is a really good one for sale in Ontario!!!!
Read my sig line............
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #7365
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Great Information!

Thanks for the great, detailed responses. That is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for and increases my comfort level with moving forward on a XCountry. I know that every bike is a compromise in some way but it sounds like the XCountry might be be a good, workable compromise for me.

In the relatively short time I've been on ADV, I've been impressed with the time and interest that the more experienced inmates put into providing help and information to others--Snooker, Leafman60, Geoffster and others....

Snooker...I have previously been on your mods page and will likely be spending more time there. Great resource!

RobbieO...That's a nice looking bike you have for sale and if you lived on the best coast, I'd talk to you about it. Unfortunately, it's a long ride from your place to mine, particularly in January.