Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #7366
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivore63 View Post
RobbieO...That's a nice looking bike you have for sale and if you lived on the best coast, I'd talk to you about it. Unfortunately, it's a long ride from your place to mine, particularly in January.
Shipping is cheap.....or do a fly and ride in April!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #7367
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
The XCountry was designed as a DUAL SPORT bike.
That's what I thought until I did the LA Barstow to Vegas ride put on by the SoCal AMA "Dual Sport" guys (a HUGE group) and 98.73% of them ride orange 450-ish flickers with full knobbies and a plate slapped on - point is I'm now equating Dual Sport with barely legal plated dirt bikes, and true Adventure bikes being bigger bikes typically since the focus is on long touring roads both on and off road. So I'd say our little XCountry is between a Dual Sport and an Adventure bike. Point is, terminology varies depending on the crowd.

Quote:
It's not a dirt bike and was not intended as such. A lot of energy is devoted by some folks (with interesting posts on this thread) to convert the XCo into something it was never intended to be.
I have no idea what you are talking about or WHO you might be referring to? Yeah the street slanted guys get sick of all the shock discussions and I understand that very well.

Quote:
In mostly stock trim, the XCo is also very capable on many non-paved situations. If you want to do dirt roads or single track trails, it does quite well. If you wanna do Moab desert, very rocky surfaces with jumps and the like, you'll want more of a dirt bike which the XCo is not. Oh, you can probably make-do with the XCo in those situations but you'll need to slow down and be careful.
There's another broad term... "single track". Being in Colorado these mean narrow trails with rocks on the sides a lot and in the trail as well, then throw in a little elevation change and the XCo is very soon NOT capable. If you are in 3rd gear or higher it is not a Colorado singletrack... A high clearance bike is a must and ours is very heavy and marginal on MOST single track trails around here. Now somewhere like Kansas maybe sure if there are no tight trees or rocks. Ask me about the hidden rock that took out my gear shift lever on a flat single track with grasses hiding the rocks on every little 1st gear corner. Having said that I've done a few of the flatter ST's and well you just have to be careful but the chances of damage are high, just not enough clearance. I tend to avoid them so no it's not a dirt bike.

Quote:
At 5-10, 140, you are a good size for the little bike and the standard suspension set-up will work better for you than other, heavier riders. At 200, I got much better suspension at an economical price by increasing the rear spring strength.
True Dat. With your size, even IF you bottom your shock, the simple spring swap that Leafman (and Drone) and others have done is a cheap 80% fix. I live by 80% fixes in most of my life. But for me there is no reason I have to live with a shock that bottoms on the smallest of 12" rain ruts and water bars yet I still have not found a great solution. I'm revisiting this right now.

Quote:
Who can advize someone on the proper bike for their purpose? Hard to do. Im thinking you are more interested in dirt and technical off-road running in which case more of a dirt bike may suit your needs better. If true, you'd be better off getting a more genuine dirt bike than getting an XCo and trying to convert it to something it was never intended to be.
True but sounds like you want to tour highways also and man this bike is SO much better for that than any dirt bike. Some of that is the 21" pizza cutter vs. the heavy wide 19" fat mama in the front IMHO. Just limit the difficulty of your offroad expectations.

Quote:
The DR650 may be a consderation directed a little more to dirt riding. It has a height adjuster on the rear suspension linkage. It won't stay up with an XCo on the road, though.
The XCo stock shock also has height adjuster, but Leafman you know that so perhaps you are saying the DR has a much broader range or something.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #7368
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
First off, know that when I'm looking for answers, I consult with Drone and Snooker.
That is a bunch of BS man!

You got it backwards! Drone and Geoffster... were the main ones I consulted when I first got this bike. I'm leaving out others who have been more active since then (tbarstow comes to mind)... but when I was asking questions that is who helped me the most. It was Drone's thread with pics (and I was new to Adv anyhow) that inspired me to put so much energy into capturing all my own mods and learnings.

Quote:
On tires, ... Heidenaus fore ... has served me for more than 15,000 miles and is finally beginning to cup.
Man you ride a lot more than me! I only have about 17k on the bike in 3 years and I can't blame all of that on your year round season in SoCal... Because fronts do last so long I think I'm going back to the TKC and have a little better off road cornering - as that is my most vulnerable spot where I want the most traction.

Quote:
I'm still in a quandary about the rear. I've run both standard and oversized Heidenaus, and while they wear like iron (up to 10,000 miles), the hard compound is uninspiring when cornering.
10k on a rear? That thing must be pretty squared off by then?

Quote:
The D606 is MUCH better both on pavement and off, but only lasts ~5,000 miles.
At 2000 road miles mainly, my D606 was closer to a TKC rear when new, sure it has some tread but SHEESH!~...

I'm seeing a trend here... I know you ride on the street a lot %-age wise so either you run your tires until there is very little tread left, or my Thanksgiving dinner pig fest is still a problem!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #7369
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
If you reduced me to one bike, it would be my X-Country.

Ok this is why we LOVE the new joiners to our thread, cuz we get to remind ourselves why we love OUR bike. Like every bike thread on ADV we all think we have the perfect bike! But in our case...

WE DO !

My street v-twin and my XR400 just sit and wait for my return. Well sorry but keep waiting!

So... it's time to gloat and feel good about this wonderful little bike platform that truly can do it all. Right Colebatch ??

Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #7370
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Robbie in my mind you have always been THE Wheelie King of XCountry's ! Sorry you are moving on man..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post

Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #7371
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

I bought mine used from a dealer 1000 miles away. Thought about a fly and ride but by the time I added up flights, motels, time off work I decided to have it shipped (I think $550 at the time). I used Federal Motorcycle over the others because they have an AMA discount which basically covered my membership cost - and AMA helps protect our sport plus the monthly magazine is decent (ok it not Canada but US policy influences activity in other countries too if you know what I mean). I think you have to call to get an accurate quote.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #7372
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I bought mine used from a dealer 1000 miles away. Thought about a fly and ride but by the time I added up flights, motels, time off work I decided to have it shipped (I think $550 at the time). I used Federal Motorcycle over the others because they have an AMA discount which basically covered my membership cost - and AMA helps protect our sport plus the monthly magazine is decent (ok it not Canada but US policy influences activity in other countries too if you know what I mean). I think you have to call to get an accurate quote.
There is a low mileage one for sale on the Boise Craigslist 2009 2500 miles which is a steal. http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3508479565.html
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #7373
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'B View Post
There is a low mileage one for sale on the Boise Craigslist 2009 2500 miles which is a steal. http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3508479565.html
The yellow ones are for girls......
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #7374
catneck
Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
That's a great deal. A couple hundred dollars at your neighborhood body shop will transform it into any color you like.
catneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #7375
catneck
Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 334
Anybody convert 1 of these into a snow bike? Usually see KTMs, but would love the EFI.
catneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #7376
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
10k on a rear? That thing must be pretty squared off by then?
Yes, it's quite a problem in corners. But square is okay on the freeway and pretty okay off-pavement. Think straight line stability and big footprint. :-)

Quote:
At 2000 road miles mainly, my D606 was closer to a TKC rear when new, sure it has some tread but SHEESH!~...
My typical 606 mileage is ~4k. I replace early rather than late.

Quote:
I'm seeing a trend here... I know you ride on the street a lot %-age wise so either you run your tires until there is very little tread left, or my Thanksgiving dinner pig fest is still a problem!
I weight 190-200 with full gear. And I keep the bike light, too.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #7377
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
As a transplanted U.S. native, I feel ill every time I look at CL in the U.S. There is no economic justification for the difference in pricing between Canada and the U.S. An identical bike with comparable mileage is currently for sale in Squamish, just north of Vancouver. The asking price is $7,200.

I went to my local BMW/Husqvarna dealer here to look at the TR650 after reading about what a great value it is at $7,000. My local dealer has it for $8,000 + $800 freight and prep. And that's before the 12% HST. Out the door price for a new TR650 is $10,000.

There are advantages to living in Canada but they certainly aren't financial.

Sorry....rant over.
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #7378
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by catneck View Post
That's a great deal. A couple hundred dollars at your neighborhood body shop will transform it into any color you like.
or a $7 can of truckbed liner from Wally World.

That's a fair price, I think the ABS is worth it too. And of course you've read about the difference between the 07 and 09s by now. Unless you are super short, for off road purposes I'd prefer the 07 with ABS.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #7379
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
That's what I thought until I did the LA Barstow to Vegas ride put on by the SoCal AMA "Dual Sport" guys (a HUGE group) and 98.73% of them ride orange 450-ish flickers with full knobbies and a plate slapped on - point is I'm now equating Dual Sport with barely legal plated dirt bikes, and true Adventure bikes being bigger bikes typically since the focus is on long touring roads both on and off road. So I'd say our little XCountry is between a Dual Sport and an Adventure bike. Point is, terminology varies depending on the crowd.

I have no idea what you are talking about or WHO you might be referring to? Yeah the street slanted guys get sick of all the shock discussions and I understand that very well.

There's another broad term... "single track". Being in Colorado these mean narrow trails with rocks on the sides a lot and in the trail as well, then throw in a little elevation change and the XCo is very soon NOT capable. If you are in 3rd gear or higher it is not a Colorado singletrack... A high clearance bike is a must and ours is very heavy and marginal on MOST single track trails around here. Now somewhere like Kansas maybe sure if there are no tight trees or rocks. Ask me about the hidden rock that took out my gear shift lever on a flat single track with grasses hiding the rocks on every little 1st gear corner. Having said that I've done a few of the flatter ST's and well you just have to be careful but the chances of damage are high, just not enough clearance. I tend to avoid them so no it's not a dirt bike.

True Dat. With your size, even IF you bottom your shock, the simple spring swap that Leafman (and Drone) and others have done is a cheap 80% fix. I live by 80% fixes in most of my life. But for me there is no reason I have to live with a shock that bottoms on the smallest of 12" rain ruts and water bars yet I still have not found a great solution. I'm revisiting this right now.

True but sounds like you want to tour highways also and man this bike is SO much better for that than any dirt bike. Some of that is the 21" pizza cutter vs. the heavy wide 19" fat mama in the front IMHO. Just limit the difficulty of your offroad expectations.

The XCo stock shock also has height adjuster, but Leafman you know that so perhaps you are saying the DR has a much broader range or something.

My bringing up a DR was to mention it as a 650 possibility that I consider to be a bit more dirt oriented than the XCo. If the seat height is a concern on the DR, it can easily be lowered by shifting a bolt in the shock linkage (much easier to adjust than the XCo.) The DR wont run with an XCo on the highway, though.

By the way, Im 6-2, 205 and my XCo is jacked up with just the correct seat height for me. I cannot quite flatfoot it (part of that is the Corbin seat).

To reiterate, the XCo has a wide range of capability - on-road and off-road.

There are limitations with the XCo for sure. The terribly small fuel tank, the horrible seat, the lack of a tach,
the challenge to adopt good wind protection, the challenge to attach luggage are just a few. Ive spent a lot of energy and money on fixing those things.

I would not like the XCo in stock form.

Going back, I'd probably opt for a BMW 650 single GS model instead of the XCo for my purposes. Most of the limitations I just mentioned are a non-issue on the GS series.

Anyway, I gots what I gots and I like it.

leafman60 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:39 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #7380
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker;20 581255
or a $7 can of truckbed liner from Wally World.

That's a fair price, I think the ABS is worth it too. And of course you've read about the difference between the 07 and 09s by now. Unless you are super short, for off road purposes I'd prefer the 07 with ABS.
Yes but at that price you could get a new shock and a set of marzocchi sliders and still be ahead! I bought mine of off Boise craigslist 2009 abs under 2000 miles for 5 grand a year and a half ago. The only reason this bike did not catch on is the price new. It contained a lot of high quality thought and eng. Now that they are totally dissmissed you can pick up one for a steal . It is a bike that takes some investment to bring it into its own. But admit it this thing runs like a little raped ape!!!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote