Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #7396
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Snooker, maybe this will tide you over until I get those other pics you requested...it's from before the retrofit, but you get the idea:

That's a 29er MTB in size XL, so it does look kind of huge in that pic, but in real life it's only "annoyingly large."

You really don't know it's back there. But if you forget and see your shadow you think some strange creature is humping your bike!

More pics to come...

--Donnie
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #7397
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay, here's more detail:

As you can see above, the pannier rack is now part of the "structure" that is the tail rack. The only "additional" attachment that it adds is down at the footpegs, but even that will help some. But it's really the fact that the new yellow arm in the middle there now reaches MUCH further forward. The previous rack was ONLY attached at those two rearmost side bolts, yet went nearly 3x that far further back.

These two should give you even more detail. Oh, and on this right side now even the fuel tank is part of the structure since it not only attaches on those same two side bolts, but also with two bolts on the bottom of the subframe (where the charcoal canister was).

Oh, and all of these pics I've posted recently can be clicked to go to Flickr for a higher res version. And here's a bonus old shot of the G650X on the back of my RV on a Versahauler rack, with a bicycle rack behind that (and yes, I did put the MTB on that for a trip...worked great).

--Donnie
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #7398
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Wow. Man, you have done a number on that thing.

Ive thought about making a bicycle carrier for one of my big bikes but not the XCo. How about a 22-foot kayak. Been mulling on that too.

Boy, you've done it to the XCo. The big tank and all. Watch out for that stock gas cap leaking. There's info on it way back in the thread. My expensive-ass TT cap has been working fine.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #7399
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
Hi Guys, just bought a 08 xcountry. No abs. The guy I bought it off had not ridden it for 12 months. Only done 8700 klms. Condition is not too bad, considering it has just been sitting in his shed. First thing will be oil and filter change and general check over. Tyres (tourances) look a bit hard, but will wait a while before changing. Comes with windscreen, bashplate, tankbag and tailbag with rack. Bought it to ride on day rides where I think my F650 (800) would not be as much fun. My wife can have a ride when she wants too (maybe)! Going by some of the posts, I might ride it more than the 800! Anything else I should be looking at maintenance wise considering it has been sitting around? Looking at making up racks to carry a couple of rotopax fuel containers. I was thinking a 3.8 litre container each side. Throwover panniers maybe over the top if required for a trip. Seem feasible, or too much for the subframe? Where can I get a service manual, or it is it pretty straightford? Thanks for any info.
Check to see that you haven't lost an air filter to mice.

Buy the service manual CD from BMW. The exhaust location makes using throw over panniers quite the exercise, but it can be done.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #7400
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Wow. Man, you have done a number on that thing.

Ive thought about making a bicycle carrier for one of my big bikes but not the XCo. How about a 22-foot kayak. Been mulling on that too.

Boy, you've done it to the XCo. The big tank and all. Watch out for that stock gas cap leaking. There's info on it way back in the thread. My expensive-ass TT cap has been working fine.
Got a link to the expensive cap? I remember seeing something about it, but I'm not finding it easy now. *sigh* That's the problem with these mega-threads and searching for things like "gas cap." Too many matches.

--Donnie
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #7401
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Got a link to the expensive cap? I remember seeing something about it, but I'm not finding it easy now. *sigh* That's the problem with these mega-threads and searching for things like "gas cap." Too many matches.

--Donnie
Go to Touratech's website. I had 2 of them and had nothing but problems. Gas caps should work better than screen doors on submarines.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #7402
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Okay, here we go. Still a few more electrical farkles to add, but the heavy lifting is done.

--Donnie
Damn! OK, that's officially the nicest mod job I've seen since I posted up my own! Jezuar (with the low fender) and that guy from Scandinavia (forgot his name) also had some really cool total bike makeovers, but this one really really gives me a stiffy.

Fantastic!! Whoo-oo-oo!

About that fuse panel, I used the Eastern Beaver "3-Fuse Solution" which fits nicely on top of the fuel tank and under the seat. Here's a pic--

Hey, would somebody post up an "attaboy" in my thread to bring it back from the archives? LINK
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #7403
kirbybikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Done and Done.

Hey, would somebody post up an "attaboy" in my thread to bring it back from the archives? LINK[/QUOTE]
kirbybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #7404
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Touratech gas cap

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...G650Xchallenge

Remember, even with the TT cap, I had to replace the rubber seal with a slightly thicker one that I cut from some Viton purchased from a local rubber supply.

My aux tank is a little higher than yours and the siphon pressure would cause the TT to weep also. I've had the TT with the thick gasket for months now and no problem.

The TT cap is all metal and should last a long time. I also like not having to fiddle with a key. Just be careful riding with other shady characters on X bikes without one of these desirable additions !
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #7405
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

So what happens when both are filled and the factory cap "leaks"? I assume spill? Or just no siphon from the aux tank?

And I was just having a brain fart on what "TT" meant in your earlier post. Found and ordered. I'm not a fan of the locking cap anyway.

Got any more info on that rubber you got? I don't think I have a local rubber supply place. Ever throw some calipers on it for thickness?

--Donnie
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #7406
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Okay, here's more detail:

--Donnie
Wow what a sight with that bicycle on, I've never seen that! So in the pic above, you are using the 2 tapped holes in the subframe and not using longer bolts with nuts? I ask because on the 07 the subframe is aluminum and those holes are suspect and some people beef them up (right muddyrabbit?) . The 09 being steel perhaps is fine for holding over time, and being able to add and remove the bolts several times.

BTW to the other question Squizzy... about loading the subframe on the 08, is it aluminum like the 07 or steel like the 09? You have to be careful if it aluminum (SCARY LINKY)

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #7407
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
Instead of fuses get a PDM. It has eight circuits, 5A-15A each. Instead of blowing a fuse, it opens the circuit until you solve the issue -- no fuses! I put mine under the seat. Love it! Hate fuses!
http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
Aerostich sells them too, so does RocketMoto (dot com.)
Interesting! Never knew this existed either! If I keep this bike another X years maybe I'll upgrade my messy wiring setup!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #7408
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So what happens when both are filled and the factory cap "leaks"? I assume spill? Or just no siphon from the aux tank?

And I was just having a brain fart on what "TT" meant in your earlier post. Found and ordered. I'm not a fan of the locking cap anyway.

Got any more info on that rubber you got? I don't think I have a local rubber supply place. Ever throw some calipers on it for thickness?

--Donnie
What will happen if the cap leaks is that gas will continue to weep out and run down the side of the stock tank. Worse case, it will pool on the floor. Really worse case, the flame from the natural gas water heater located in your garage will ignite the evaporating gasoline vapors and blow up your building.

You should be able to get a small piece of Viton from maybe an auto parts or something. If youre in Chapel Hill, I bet there's a supply house that sells rubber.
Thickness? It is just a smidgen thicker than what comes on the Toura Tech. I dont remember the measured size. Neoprene works also but it is not as impervious to ethanol as is Viton. You dont want it too thick or the cam lock wont work properly.

Try the TT as it comes. If it doesnt weep, dont fret about the rubber.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #7409
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Wow what a sight with that bicycle on, I've never seen that! So in the pic above, you are using the 2 tapped holes in the subframe and not using longer bolts with nuts? I ask because on the 07 the subframe is aluminum and those holes are suspect and some people beef them up (right muddyrabbit?) . The 09 being steel perhaps is fine for holding over time, and being able to add and remove the bolts several times.

BTW to the other question Squizzy... about loading the subframe on the 08, is it aluminum like the 07 or steel like the 09? You have to be careful if it aluminum (SCARY LINKY)
I think only the 09's were steel, but I could be wrong.

Funny, or dumb, story: When I got the bike I ordered a TT rack kit and some bad-ass hard bags. When the kit showed up, there was a subframe in there. I was like "what the?" Then I read the instructions and it told me my subframe was aluminum and I had to switch it or I'd break my bike. But the one they ship doesn't have footpegs. And apparently the instructions weren't updated for the 09. And I didn't think to stick a magnet to my subframe, I just trusted what I read.

But I didn't like the idea of losing the rear footpegs. So I sent the entire mess back. Only to later discover I didn't have to, I could have just not used the TT subframe after all.

But in the end I think it worked out even better, as I didn't need the bad-ass-ness of the bags they sell and ended up having a LOT less in what I have now, and I like it better anyway. I just felt stupid for not knowing what I had and trusted aftermarket documentation to tell me.

Anyway, to answer the question, yes, I'm using the tapped holes. They're beefy and the tapping is all the way through. So outside of the potential for them backing out, I don't think nuts on the backside would help. And on the backing out issue, I'm just going to be diligent about checking them anyway. Also, some of the pictured hardware is getting swapped for stainless, even though I know it's a little softer. I still think what I have is so much stronger all the way around that I'd rather have the rust-worthiness.

But yeah, if this was an aluminum subframe I don't think I'd be doing all this. I would have probably gone with the TT subframe and added footpegs. :)

Thanks, leafman, for the gas cap info. I used to race cars, so I've got catchpans and the ability to park it somewhere that it won't ass-plode on me. So I'll wait to put fuel in the aux can until I have the TT cap and I'll try it.

What should I expect? I assume I'll want to fill the factory tank as much as possible, cap, and then fill the aux tank. Then as I ride will the aux tank end up "over-filling" the factory tank until such time as the aux tank runs out and I burn the fuel out of the factory tank down enough that it's no longer over-full?

That is to say you really need to make sure you've run it enough to be near empty so you don't have a spill just trying to "top it off"? Or basically never just "top off" the factory tank if you're not sure, just top off the aux tank only?

--Donnie
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #7410
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, leafman, for the gas cap info. I used to race cars, so I've got catchpans and the ability to park it somewhere that it won't ass-plode on me. So I'll wait to put fuel in the aux can until I have the TT cap and I'll try it.

What should I expect? I assume I'll want to fill the factory tank as much as possible, cap, and then fill the aux tank. Then as I ride will the aux tank end up "over-filling" the factory tank until such time as the aux tank runs out and I burn the fuel out of the factory tank down enough that it's no longer over-full?

That is to say you really need to make sure you've run it enough to be near empty so you don't have a spill just trying to "top it off"? Or basically never just "top off" the factory tank if you're not sure, just top off the aux tank only?

--Donnie

Lol. Yeah, you got it about right. Dont remove the factory cap unless you're sure the tank is low or you'll have a gas gusher.

You first fill the factory tank as full as possible (easier on sidestand than center), then you install the factory tank cap, then you fill the aux tank. After a little running, the vacuum and siphon force will begin dumping fuel into the stock tank. Even though you have a little trapped air in the stock tank, it seems to top off from the aux tank.

Just keep track of your mileage or watch for your stock low-fuel light to come on. Then you'll know when is good to fill the stock tank.

Go back and read my earlier post about the tip-over valve. If you encounter problems with the aux tank feeding, remove the guts from the tip-over valve (you can always replace it). With the aux tank set-up, the tip-over valve is basically non-functional anyway. I had a little trouble every now and then with the feed and removing the tip-over guts seemed to solve the problem.

Be sure that your aux tank is vented. I see you have the pricey little air
bleed cap ( I used a tire valve cap) so you should be okay.

One thing that I dont think I saw on your bike that I find very handy is a centerstand. I used the Hepco-Becker and there's one currently offered on ebay. I adjusted mine so it swings way up and does not create bad clearance issues. I problem is that the stock engine guards will not allow installation of a centerstand unless you modify the guards. That's what I did. You must cut away the guard mounts to accommodate the centerstand.

With the centerstand and the guards, I didnt need the hard-part banger tabs. The stand and the guard mounts do the same thing. You won't have enough space for them anyway with the stand and the guards.