Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #7456
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I got the same aux tank as djb_rh. As you can see on the photo the hose is vulnerable that's why I only want to add this plastic part. I think It might right bolt on the "Tail fin" plastic of the Xcountry.

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #7457
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezuar View Post
Part # 3 is not really so.
But if you put the fuel tank back you can not put both the part # 3 with clamps.
Agreed. Don't buy part #3.
The part that holds the rear of the little plastic part is not shown in the parts fiche as far as I can tell. It is a little S shaped metal part that normally holds the plastic shroud out from the frame about 2".. but you will probably have to make a custom one to fit anyhow for your situation.

I think daniel in Brazil just fashioned a similar part based on some pics I sent him (long gone from my email but maybe he still has them to send to you).

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:53 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #7458
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Any of The Faithful here tried a Power Commander on the X series?
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #7459
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Any of The Faithful here tried a Power Commander on the X series?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654767
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #7460
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Okay, just installed the HB center stand. It would be simple, but whatever crash bars I have interfered with the brackets. Some creative cutting of the crash bar ends made both play nice, but then I notice another problem. The left side of the center stand (the part that would be on the ground if the bike were ON the stand...but I mean when the stand is retracted) is JUST touching the bottom of the swing arm. I presume this is because I have an XCo stand and an XChallenge rear shock, which pushes the swing arm bottom position further down.

Anyone else seen this? If so, what did you do to fix it? I think adding some metal to the stop on the centerstand so that it's spaced down just a *touch* more is probably all I need to do, but that'll involve some sort of welding and then coating again. Any other thoughts on this?

Having it on the center stand for the first time tells me I REALLY want this stand, too. My goodness, so much easier to work on things.

--Donnie
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7461
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Excuse me. I didnt ask the correct question. Yes, thanks, Ive seen the PC thread and Ive been posting on it.

My question should have been: Has anyone who has been using a Booster Plug converted to a Power Commander and how does it compare?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #7462
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post

Having it on the center stand for the first time tells me I REALLY want this stand, too. My goodness, so much easier to work on things.

--Donnie
Why lug a centerstand around with you on the bike, especially when you can damage it from riding or having an unplanned stop excursion?

I know somebody out there used to make a garage centerstand that uses the factory service stand parts that are bolted to you bike. Ask Geoffster, I believe he still has one.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #7463
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Why lug a centerstand around with you on the bike, especially when you can damage it from riding or having an unplanned stop excursion?

I know somebody out there used to make a garage centerstand that uses the factory service stand parts that are bolted to you bike. Ask Geoffster, I believe he still has one.
I have one. I don't like it. It's pretty annoying to try to use, and I also just wouldn't always have it with me every time I want the bike on a center stand.

On a related note, does the XChallenge have a different (longer) kickstand? I assume it sits higher than the XCo, but now that I've raised mine as far as it goes, it seems to lean an awful long way on the stand. I can't decide if it's worth fixing or not. Especially since I may still respring and revalve my stock shock and put it back.

--Donnie
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #7464
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, just installed the HB center stand. It would be simple, but whatever crash bars I have interfered with the brackets. Some creative cutting of the crash bar ends made both play nice, but then I notice another problem. The left side of the center stand (the part that would be on the ground if the bike were ON the stand...but I mean when the stand is retracted) is JUST touching the bottom of the swing arm. I presume this is because I have an XCo stand and an XChallenge rear shock, which pushes the swing arm bottom position further down.

Anyone else seen this? If so, what did you do to fix it? I think adding some metal to the stop on the centerstand so that it's spaced down just a *touch* more is probably all I need to do, but that'll involve some sort of welding and then coating again. Any other thoughts on this?

--Donnie

Hey man. I think I talked about this way back in a thread. Glad you figured out how to modify the engine guard to allow the stand.

Regarding your swingarm touch- as I recall, mine was close when the swingarm is fully extended but didnt touch. I'll take a look and refresh my memory as to what I did, if anything.

For me the centerstand is a must-have and the H-B works well. Tucks up nice out of the way too.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #7465
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
On a related note, does the XChallenge have a different (longer) kickstand? I assume it sits higher than the XCo, but now that I've raised mine as far as it goes, it seems to lean an awful long way on the stand. I can't decide if it's worth fixing or not. Especially since I may still respring and revalve my stock shock and put it back.
Looks like they do, as the parts fiches list 2 different part numbers. The XCountry fiche also says "304mm".
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #7466
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
I have one. I don't like it. It's pretty annoying to try to use, and I also just wouldn't always have it with me every time I want the bike on a center stand.

--Donnie
NoCarolina? Yeah git yer redneck on!

Hole saw? Ala Plumber Mike...

Or hockey pucks? Ala 682202...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #7467
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Agreed. Don't buy part #3.
The part that holds the rear of the little plastic part is not shown in the parts fiche as far as I can tell. It is a little S shaped metal part that normally holds the plastic shroud out from the frame about 2".. but you will probably have to make a custom one to fit anyhow for your situation...
My dealer can order this plastic part . He actually could only find It on his datalog once I gave him his part number. Otherwise It wouldn't show up! Very helpfull dealer as usual!
Maybe because this part was not sold here in France with the bike.
Now , I need the part number or a picture of the little S shaped metal part that hold this plastic mask. Could someone take some time shooting a picture of It or know how to find the part number?
Thanks mes amis

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011

lewiss66 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:49 PM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #7468
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I think the spacer route on the current kickstand is the way to go instead of the XChall one. Shouldn't be a big deal to modify the TT platform I added to the bottom of the stand already.

I think to "fix" the center stand rub issue I'm going to machine an L shaped piece of delrin such that the bottom of the L is the right thickness to fit between the right mounting bracket's "stop" area and the piece of the stand that hits it and space it down just enough. Then I'll drill through the top of the L and through the right bracket and tap the hole and screw the delrin to the bracket. Then if I do lower the bike back I can just remove that piece (and put the screw back to keep it from rusting, I guess).

leafman, I was tempted to cut the entire crash bar bracket off and weld them to the HB brackets. Still might. If I do that I'll probably powdercoat those crashbars and brackets in the snazzy yellow. That's probably dumb since the bottom is going to get scraped up (these already have bare metal from the last CO trip). Should probably just do bedliner on them in black.

On the fender flap, I realized I don't have concerns there. My fender sits on the HB pannier crossbar. Can't see it moving much. If bouncing up off of it is a problem I can just use black zipties around the turn signals and down to the cross bar and it can't move.

I got the wiring done for the third brake light. Man, that thing is awesome. Need to get some pics of that and post them, especially with a bike on there.

Trying to think of a good way to fab a plate that will interlock on the Givi mounting plate instead of a Givi box for those times when I want a *bag* up there rather than a case. Fitting a bag under the bicycle that will hold more stuff than a box would be nice in some situations, but it needs to be a wider mounting surface. I wish Givi made a nice platform made to interlock onto their mount, but it doesn't seem they do. Will have to get creative here. I don't *think* it's trivial to cannibalize a Givi box because of the way their buttons work to unlock, but I'll have to look at it some.

--Donnie
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #7469
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I looked at my H-B centerstand today. It is not near the swingarm. In fact, the centerstand legs look wide enough to miss the swingarm even if the centerstand swung up slightly higher than the swingarm. It already tucks up pretty good. The left foot would probably barely touch the swing arm if it was 3/8 inch closer to the right foot.

I'm trying to remember. Didn't H-B have 2 different centerstands for the X bikes? Seems like they had one for the XChallenge that was different from the XCountry. Different part numbers.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #7470
danielks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Pissed

Hi there all GX'ers!!!

there is! a BRazillian X Co!!!!

- leo vince exhaust;
- exhaust wrap to minimize the heat on the legs;

- touratech alu pan, cutted to fit the SW Motech Crash bars
- BMW hand guards

inside:

- booster plug
- KN air filter
ps: for street use, I removed the air box cover ....and use the most free exhaust end cap.... a great difference from OEM!!!!!

Now for French Leafman!

Man, just buy this part: G Xco 2008 - 10 no.: 46 62 7 708 857 COVERING, REAR RIGHT
You will need some bolts too... you can get it on a BMW dealer. one to hold the adaptive bar on the rear frame, other to hold the fairing on the bar.

I used a free treaded hole near the gas filler cap. Just cut a alu 2mm x 18mm flat bar in a sufficinte lenght to hold it away from the rear frame.
In case of use some add gas tank, you will need to measure the GAP, and adjust the lenght of the bar.

If I can help you more, please, write me!
danielks is offline   Reply With Quote