User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #7516
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
New X in the house

Well, we weren't exactly out looking for another bike, but I did sort of tell a few people that I know to keep me in mind if they came across a clean G650-X, so when Owen at BMW Motorcycles of Riverside called to tell me that they had taken in an '09 X-Country that he thought we might be interested in I wasn't all that excited. But then he told me that it only had 62 miles on the clock.......................

so I casually mentioned it to my wife, and before you know it we're driving to Riverside to let her take it for a test drive.............

and the next thing you know she is standing with her check book out asking about a tank bag or tailbag that would fit, and telling me to get on the stick and sell a bike or two to make room in the garage for her new X-Country.

Oh yeah- thanks to all of the posters and X-Country gurus working this thread. I spent countless hours reading through 500+ pages of posts confirming that this is the bike we want, and will doubtlessly spend as much time researching the thread and linked pages in prepping the bike and getting it set up "just so". I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions.

Mark

4Rider screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:35 PM Reason: Adding post-script
4Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #7517
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rider View Post
.....and the next thing you know she is standing with her check book out asking about a tank bag or tailbag that would fit, and telling me to get on the stick and sell a bike or two to make room in the garage for her new X-Country.
Awesome!!! Tell her we said Congratulations! Will we see you on both on the road soon? :)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #7518
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Awesome!!! Tell her we said Congratulations! Will we see you on both on the road soon? :)
Gene-

Well, we've been following your progress and figure we gotta wait until you are well out of range of those Tacos de Cabezas. We've been trying to work out when you will be in Chile or Argentina..........that or we'll have to bring a lot of Pink Pepto. When are you crossing the Darien Gap?

Mark
Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #7519
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Another bit of advice required. There is a post on the Aus fleamarket for some Xchallenge bits. I am looking at the staintune exhaust and the touratech rack. Would these bits fit my xcountry?
Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #7520
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
Another bit of advice required. There is a post on the Aus fleamarket for some Xchallenge bits. I am looking at the staintune exhaust and the touratech rack. Would these bits fit my xcountry?
Thanks
The rack WILL NOT fit. Been there, tried that, failed.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #7521
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
The rack WILL NOT fit. Been there, tried that, failed.
Thanks for that, I did suspect that it would be a problem. The staintune website only shows a G650X and when I rang them today, they only checked it on the XChallenge. Maybe I might just buy a leovince can and be done with it. Will check some posts on the exhaust thread or any info gratefully received.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #7522
kirbybikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
The Staintunes do fit a X-Country, I fitted one to my wife's bike last year. Had to get rid of the thigh roaster.
kirbybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #7523
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Just as a fyi...

My X-Country is for sale...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872255
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #7524
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rider View Post
Oh yeah- thanks to all of the posters and X-Country gurus working this thread. I spent countless hours reading through 500+ pages of posts confirming that this is the bike we want, and will doubtlessly spend as much time researching the thread and linked pages in prepping the bike and getting it set up "just so". I'll try not to ask too many dumb questions.

Mark
Wow Mark I haven't even read all 500 pages that is an EFFORT!

Welcome to the club! ...and tell your wife she should feel welcome to get her own "handle" and ask anything she wants to know about, there are a lot of good resources here!

Our little thread had a woman rider who recently decided to trade her XCo to the more touring ready 650GS... and today she is with her husband in a group of 6 riding in Peru where they just left Machu Picchu on their way to Argentina ...they left Seattle 11 weeks ago! Wow! (AdvDonnh.com)

So you never know what may be in your future once your wife rides an XCountry!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #7525
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Also Mark, if you read it all then you know how important a good battery is!

Don't skimp on it and hope to make an old one last "just a bit longer" or replace it with a cheap one, or you will be stranded someday. Its just finicky!

That and if you ever ride off road you must replace the weakest link which is getting a bendy steel gear shift lever (or risk snapping off the shift shaft coming out of the engine)!

Those are my 2 biggest words of wisdom for ya!

-matt

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #7526
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

Don't skimp on it and hope to make an old one last "just a bit longer" or replace it with a cheap one, or you will be stranded someday. Its just finicky!

That and if you ever ride off road you must replace the weakest link which is getting a bendy steel gear shift lever (or risk snapping off the shift shaft coming out of the engine)!

-matt
I agree with Matt on the battery because I've experienced it more than once.

DO NOT EXPECT the bike to crank slowly a month or so before the battery says "Goodbye." EXPECT the battery to fail suddenly and without warning.

My advice is to get an Odyssey and replace it every three years, which is at the bottom end of the service life of an Odyssey. In my experience, any battery plan for a 650X that does not involve a calendar is a mistake and includes walking/pushing/calling a friend.

(I also found that using a Battery Tender with my 650X caused my clock and trip odometers to reset. Anyone else have that happen? Fortunately, an Odyssey doesn't actually require a trickle charger.)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #7527
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 322
Wow,

It's so good to find and X-Counrty thread!

I too will have to look through this topic but in the meantime:

I've ridden mine for nearly 50,000 kms around spain in all road and trail,conditions, complete with camping gear to last me a month and more on the road:

More soon

Regs

Simon
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #7528
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Wow! Cool! More new blood! Welcome Simon!

I have total respect for your seat time on the XCountry - it is way more than my own by FAR!

Now we are all gonna want to see more pics of everything you have added to your bike!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #7529
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:

-matt
Matt-

Thanks for the advice. As the bike had been sitting for several years, we've pretty much gone through everything checking for any "issues". There were several recalls against it, including the battery recall. The fuel pump was also bad and replaced. As Geoffster suggested, the battery will be on a scheduled replacement program.

The bike will definitely be used off-pavement/off-road. She is actually happier in the dirt than on pavement, but her other "ride" isn't plated hence the X-Co

Her other bike

On our first long ride with the X-Co Susie didn't see me turn into a parking area until she had ridden past, and instead of doing a Uey and coming back on the street, she crossed the shoulder and cut across some open land back to join up. First dirt didn't take too long.

We are actually in the planning stages with some other ADV inmates for an August trip on the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route, so we have some work to do to prep the X-Co. I've traded messages with Bas (Prutser) of Hyper-Pro regarding an upgraded rear shock and fork springs. We plan on returning the suspension to full-height, and Other items on the priority list include:

-Bendy shift lever
-Hand-guards (looking for recommendations, will check your site for info!)
-Rear pannier rack (may fabricate on myself)
-Bash-plate
-Supplemental fuel
-Seat Concepts seat rework
-Folding mirrors
-Tail Tidy
-Wind-screen
-Tire change. Possibly a Heidenau rear and TKC front (any suggestions?)

I've made a lot of notes from posts in this thread regarding the mods others have done, and have and will be checking your mod list/webpage for more info to work from. Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I see no need to re-invent the wheel, and if there are proven solutions out there I intend to use them.

I currently use a set of Walter Colebatch's Magadan Panniers on my GS-A and will be ordering another set for the X-Co (Adventure-Spec in England is the supplier, and very good folks to do business with).

Any recommendations for a good fitting tank-bag?

Susie's gone from 62 miles on the clock to over 600 in the last week and a half, so its time for the 600 mile check/service this week.

Thanks again to all who have added thoughtful/helpful/instructive posts to this thread!

Mark
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #7530
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:

Our little thread had a woman rider who recently decided to trade her XCo to the more touring ready 650GS... and today she is with her husband in a group of 6 riding in Peru where they just left Machu Picchu on their way to Argentina ...they left Seattle 11 weeks ago! Wow! (AdvDonnh.com)

So you never know what may be in your future once your wife rides an XCountry!
Matt-

You are more on-point than you realize. A RTW couple, Gene and Neda, spent some time with us in November while passing through So Cal. You can find their thread, Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding..." posted by Gene (Lightcycle) here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813572

During their stay both Gene and Neda spent a day working with Susie on her "street skills" (both are former Canadian Motorcycle Safety Instructors, and good ones at that!) Neda suggested to Susie that we come down to meet them to ride for a while in South America, maybe in Chile or Argentina. Well, that idea took root and if we can work things out, the X-Co will be crated and shipped south later in the year.

Mark