Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #751
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 91
BMW changed the rear subframe from aluminum to steal to lower the cost of the bike. They could have easily reinforced the aluminum. There are a lot of bikes with no problems with an aluminum subframe.

HeadinSouth screwed with this post 01-30-2009 at 07:05 PM
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #752
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
My guess is that BMW pictured this bike as a day tripper rather than the light adventure bike many of us are turning it into.

As to if BMW changed the subframe from Al to steel due to this or that reason, none of us can know. Anybody who makes a claim to have inside information as to why BMW made this or that change ought to back it up with saying how he knows what he claims to know.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #753
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
Kicksave,
Congrats on the new XCountry! It's amazing how much fun the lighter machines are. So many folks are stuck on that bigger-is-better thing. . . . Then, they get on the little bikes, especially in the twisties or dirt, and this huge grin takes over.
I hope the stuff-seat cures the passenger footpeg issue for you. I enjoy reaching the passenger peg with my size 6 heel during the dreaded highway runs.
For stef25:
The Dakar model has been a proven world-travel machine.
The G650Cross Country would need even more extra gas for remote travel. For deep mud, the high-fender modification would probably help, too. The 21-inch front wheel on the Dakar might handle larger rock obstacles a little better, but the front wheel of a X-Challenge could probably be fitted to the X-Country.
The Dakar is about 60 or so pounds heavier than the X-Country, so there are always compromises.
BTW, Touratech went with an aftermarket STEEL rear subframe to beef up the packing ability of the X-Challenge.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?SKU=049-0560&-session=touratech0E29919032d11B104SSk28EA848
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #754
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hn0tt0
Well, if you get a pre-2009 model, the subframe may be an issue. The reason that BMW moved to a steel subframe in '09, replacing the aluminum one in '07 and '08, is that a lot of the aluminum subframes were breaking under hard off-road use when there was a considerable amount of luggage packed on the bike.
I've only heard of one case and can easiely imagine a couple of others. I'm by no means calling you out but "lots"?

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #755
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
By all specs, the x-country is better off road than the f650gs (incl. dakar) and g650gs.
Lighter, better suspension, etc.

For long-distance travel, with light off-roading, the other bikes are probably better; more comfy, bigger tanks, heated grips, etc.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #756
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
I'm thinking of downsizing back to a 650 (from my 750 V2 Africa Twin), and the X-Country is on my list (used as I don't want the current lowered one). Can't test one at the moment as the dealer on the island doesn't have any of them in, so it'll have to wait until I'm off-island next.

Primarily it'll be road use (hence XC not XCh), but I would like to do the occasional mild off-road. The other criteria is journeying - I'm possibly going to be doing the ADV Euro meet in Slovenia this June, which would involve an 1100-mile road trip each way to get to the meet, and then gravel roads and tracks once there (through NE Italy, Slovenia and northern Croatia).

What would it be like sat at, say, a constant 75mph on the highway? Economy, vibes etc? I'd probably get the Muckpee extra tank, if available, to extend the range a bit.

I did two 2,000+ mile trips in 2006 on a 1988 Honda NX650 Dominator, and had no problems riding a single that distance, at those speeds, on multi-lane highways, so the basic concept is fine - just down to the individual issues that might be raised on an XC. Mind you, the Renazco seat might've helped on those trips

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #757
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,130
Ben, I have ridden my XCo to Cologne from Stuttgart and to Garmish from Stuttgart.

I don't really notice the vibes at all and only at speeds north of 80mph does the wind start to cause me to hold on.

My hips do start to ache after about an hour but that is from having to squeeze my legs together to prevent the sail effect.

Swing by Stuttgart and I'll let you take out the XCo on the autobahn.

BTW, I dropped the price $1,000

Chris
Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #758
Spook 013
f.k.a. j0hn0tt0

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropedrag
I've only heard of one case and can easiely imagine a couple of others. I'm by no means calling you out but "lots"?
I'm just quoting someone else that worked in a BMW service dept. somewhere in EU, I believe. He said that quite a few were coming in under warranty for broken subframes.
Spook 013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #759
rallybug
Local Yokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix
Ben, I have ridden my XCo to Cologne from Stuttgart and to Garmish from Stuttgart.

I don't really notice the vibes at all and only at speeds north of 80mph does the wind start to cause me to hold on.

My hips do start to ache after about an hour but that is from having to squeeze my legs together to prevent the sail effect.

Swing by Stuttgart and I'll let you take out the XCo on the autobahn.

BTW, I dropped the price $1,000

Chris
Got to sell the AT first before I can think about buying the next bike

My Ride Reports
Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #760
slide
A nation in despair

I've done several 500 mile days on my X-C quite easily. I'd think nothing of stacking one after another if I ever wished to move that far day after day. In fact, IMO, 500 miles is pretty easy.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #761
rallybug
Local Yokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
I've done several 500 mile days on my X-C quite easily. I'd think nothing of stacking one after another if I ever wished to move that far day after day. In fact, IMO, 500 miles is pretty easy.
I think that the most I did in one day on the NX was around 400 highway miles, so your 500 sounds good

My Ride Reports
Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #762
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
I think that the most I did in one day on the NX was around 400 highway miles, so your 500 sounds good
Many folks including my wife seem amazed that I'm so casual about 500 mile days which include some dirt, but I'm not. The bike is comfortable as long as you keep it at or under 75 mph. Above that and the wind wears me out fast.

Anyway, I prefer the two lane sorts of roads to freeways where the 75 mph speed is a theory more than something I'd wish to do anyway.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #763
stef25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
The bike is comfortable as long as you keep it at or under 75 mph. Above that and the wind wears me out fast.
would a decent windscreen make a difference?
stef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #764
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Question New Bike Pics

Well, I was going to post some new bike pics thinking it was as easy as just clicking on the attachment paper clip icon, and clicking on the pics like I do with emaill But I guess it's not that simple . If anyone's got the hot tip on attaching pics, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Embarrassingly yours,
Kicksave.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #765
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef25
would a decent windscreen make a difference?
Sure...like this one from www.ceebaileys.com for example...

Or this one, from Wunderlich...

The folks at www.parabellum.com claim their G650 Xco windshield increases fuel economy to 81 mpg , YMMV.

Cheers, M.
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote