Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #7966
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
motard version?

This is a general public service announcement:

Service your gas cap locks. Unexpected freezing of the mechanism is not fun Second X bike I have owned to have this happen to........a stuck gas lock is no fun when you need petrol and break a key off.......
yes the x-moto is red but i thought we were talking about the x-country exclusively.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #7967
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo6bar View Post
My girlfriend and I are heading to northern NM and CO in less than 4 weeks, and I still need to uprate the rear shocks to handle 2-up and solo with loaded panniers riding. I tried contacting Cogent Dynamics over the phone and through email and haven't had a response (4 days), so now I'm resorting to plan B: spring with higher rate.

The only two sources seem to be Hyperpro and John at Motopro. Are there other companies I'm overlooking? I want to order the spring and have a local shop change the spring out.

While browsing Moto Pro's web site, they mention BMW shocks are only good for a few thousand miles before performance degrades significantly. Is that really true? I would say the suspension on my X Country is OK. It rides fine most of the time, but when I hit big depressions and sharper bumps, it feels harsh and/or bottoms out. At this point, I'm not sure if I need aftermarket suspension or rebuilt stock suspension with more springrate??? A higher springrate would help with bottoming, and perhaps a refresh would help with harshness.

Cheers, Jurgen
Wilbers.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #7968
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Eibach springs. Lots available in different sizes / rates. I know they fit the Hyperpro shock body. Not sure about fit on the stock shock but if you can measure the spring ID and length you should be able to cross reference. You could also call Racetech. You'll probably still need the stock spring info.

Also look at the Yacugar shocks from Ted Porter. Same as Hyperpro but I found the pricing a bit better. May not have time to get anything before your trip though.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #7969
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post

My pleasure. It wasn't an easy fix but it served the purpose really well in this position.
Wow, that quite a radical position. OK, it's a daft question but what happens if you crash on the right side?

Regs

Simon
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #7970
jtw000
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Wow, that quite a radical position. OK, it's a daft question but what happens if you crash on the right side?

Regs

Simon
Then you count yourself lucky. The tank can withstand a truck's full weight driving over it and the bracket shifts weight to the major load-bearing structures. In other words, the setup adds crash protection, not causes problems. Everything I did was utterly, totally, completely logical. It may look radical because I think outside the box but I would never do something impractical.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #7971
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
The X-Co's on the COBDR

Well, we just got back from Colorado and a trip on the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route. My wife and sons went, and none other than the legendary Snooker met us along the way, rode with us for a while and made sure we actually found Wyoming. A couple of photos of the X-Co's (this actually is the "...let's see your XCOUNTRY" thread after all)

I've started a ride report if you are interested, and you can find it here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912711

Interesting trip. Lots of weather. A couple of days it rained continuously except when it was freezing rain, hail or snow. August snow. That's the dry season in Colorado.

Susie on her '09 X-Co

Mike's X-C, and yeah, I know its not an X-Co, but it is still an X-Bike

His and hers X-Co's

Do these Magadan bags make my X-Co look fat?

More his n' hers

Glad the Magadan bags are waterproof

Lots of stream and pond crossings

Snooker finds us

4 X's and a K

Another Snooker shot. Giant Loop bags on back

Made it to Wyoming. Is Susie the first woman to complete the COBDR as Matt suggests?

End of the trip. Special thanks to Matt Snook. When he found us we were pretty beat from the weather and riding conditions. He made sure we continued in the right direction and found Wyoming.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #7972
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
Then you count yourself lucky. The tank can withstand a truck's full weight driving over it and the bracket shifts weight to the major load-bearing structures. In other words, the setup adds crash protection, not causes problems. Everything I did was utterly, totally, completely logical. It may look radical because I think outside the box but I would never do something impractical.
Well I said it was a daft question!

You're right about the protection, I broke my ankle in a fall a few weeks go - other side! - and would have been glad of some extra protection. As it was my H & B pannier racks took a lot of the impact, which was so severe it flipped the bike right over onto its other side and spun it round to face the other direction!

Regs

Simon
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #7973
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Centrestand

Which is the best centrestand?

Hepco & Becker or SW Motech?

Anyone have pics on their XCo, down and folded up, please

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #7974
jtw000
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Well I said it was a daft question!

You're right about the protection, I broke my ankle in a fall a few weeks go - other side! - and would have been glad of some extra protection. As it was my H & B pannier racks took a lot of the impact, which was so severe it flipped the bike right over onto its other side and spun it round to face the other direction!

Regs

Simon
It worked perfectly except it just didn't quite feel right, as stupid as that sounds. At first I bolted it to the front of the bash plate, that made perfect sense but I think it was just rubbing under hard braking as I found a trace of dirt on the top. Otherwise that was probably spot on.
I have a more radical plan for next time. I'm aiming to replace both of the rad cowls with metal supports that work as protection and use a normal enduro plastic cover. With the covers off, it should take a tank either side for when I really need to push the range.
I've been following your pictures, you really find some spectacular trails. Cambodia is pretty flat, even the mountains aren't really amazing but your shots really show off your bike... even though it's yellow.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #7975
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
Which is the best centrestand?

Hepco & Becker or SW Motech?

Anyone have pics on their XCo, down and folded up, please
Anybody?????

Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #7976
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Cool2 Throwin down some cash

Hi all, I'm thinking I want to get myself an Xcountry. It checks most of the boxes for what I want and need... FI 650 Thumper, Not a KLR or DR, dig the look, Good MPG, not too heavy (for me), Solid engine, Should fit me well at 6ft. 185lbs. 33in inseam. This would be my first BMW. I've had a couple Triumphs, Aprilia, Suzuki, Yamahas and they've all been trouble free aside from my innate human nature for screwing things up sometimes. Should I expect the same from the "X"?

I've found a bone stock xcountry in my area with 7500 miles, looks super clean, and allegedly, always dealer serviced. What should I expect to pay for a bike like this? The guy is asking 5700, which seems WAY too high. I'd never pay that much for it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: The bike I was lusting over has been sold, but I'd still like to know what a good price for one of these.

Strapping Lad screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 05:27 PM
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #7977
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
So I ordered the X-Country kickstand today from MAXBMW for my 1" lower X-Challenge. It needs to come from Germany, so it will be a couple weeks. But I will post up results here and the X-Challenge thread.

On another note - Inmate McGarrett is my neighbor and has a 1.5" lowered X-Challenge. He had about 1.5" removed from his stock kickstand with good results. But he did say it was still a bit too upright when he was fully loaded for his TransLab trip. But he was far more loaded than I ever anticipate being, so I'm thinking the X-Country kickstand is going to work well.
Double posting from the X-Ch thread:

The kickstand arrived today and I got it on. Pretty straightforward - the springs are probably the hardest part and they're not too bad. I'll post some pics when I get around to it. But the short story is it is perfect for my 1" lower bike. It essentially looks like it is back to the stock lean angle.

The kickstand does stick out a bit more in the up position because it has a sharper angle, but it looks like it won't be an issue.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #7978
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Lad View Post
Hi all, I'm thinking I want to get myself an Xcountry. It checks most of the boxes for what I want and need... FI 650 Thumper, Not a KLR or DR, dig the look, Good MPG, not too heavy (for me), Solid engine, Should fit me well at 6ft. 185lbs. 33in inseam. This would be my first BMW. I've had a couple Triumphs, Aprilia, Suzuki, Yamahas and they've all been trouble free aside from my innate human nature for screwing things up sometimes. Should I expect the same from the "X"?

I've found a bone stock xcountry in my area with 7500 miles, looks super clean, and allegedly, always dealer serviced. What should I expect to pay for a bike like this? The guy is asking 5700, which seems WAY too high. I'd never pay that much for it.

EDIT: The bike I was lusting over has been sold, but I'd still like to know what a good price for one of these.
Seems like most go for 4700 to 5700, so not really out of the park with that.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #7979
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Lad View Post

PM Sent on pricing, I would say that was high if it didn't have good accesories that YOU care about...

They are tall bikes, the 07 should fit you well, 09 is shorter, but still fits well. I am 6'1" and if it were mine (its wifes bike) I would put some bar risers on and be done.

As with every vehicle it has its known issues, there is lot of information in various X threads. But overall seems very reliable

Matt
2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #7980
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
Anybody?????
None of you run a Centrestand on your XCountry ??