Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #841
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,336
Yeah, i had some rust on my chain when i got it. They didn't really lube it up very much at the factory. But I've been giving it a spray now and then and it has done fine. Pretty much rust free.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #842
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,132
I have a KTM chain- orange with rust from whatever Herman spreads on the road.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #843
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
The air shocks aren't too popular with the x-ch boys. I'd suggest you check with them before proceeding. Even if possible, I think it'd be undesirable.
The air shock is actually very nice in some situations, ie; needing to add to compensate for a touring load. The downside on the XCh for most people is the seat height when there is plus 100# of pressure. In a racing situation, the shock would keep building pressure from heat/compression. The other reason BMW probably specced it was w/o a spring, the weight is reduced and they had a very specific weight target in mind for the XCh vs their old Dakar. That and the fact that the R&D had already been done with it for the HP2. I have never been so dissatisfied with the shock as to want to spend nearly $1000 to replace it. However, I would like to spend the $ to have an XMoto alongside the Xchallenge....
Bert
GNATSASS Great Basin Dualsport/Adventure Bike Tours
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #844
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
My 03 DR 650 is still on the stock chain and sprockets at 15,500 miles.average chain care,lubed every 600 miles at least and kept adjusted properly but ridden in the dirt a fair amount which is hard on chains. It looks to go another 4 or 5,000 with luck so it seems like a BMWs chain should go that far also with some care.
Your DR has #525 chain which is same pitch, but much wider/stronger. It also comes with a steel rear sprocket, I believe, which would drastically increase life too. In, my case with an XChallenge, I had just over 8,000 miles when my rear sprocket was used up. The bike has a Regina Oring chain and according to specs on Regina's site, the pin to pin spec was still within tolerance for their chain. Therefore, I only replaced the stock aluminum sprocket with another stock one and used the oe countershaft sprocket and chain. The next go around will require replacing all 3 parts. Currently, I have put another 2,000 miles on the bike and all three parts are wearing well.
GNATSASS Great Basin Dualsport/Adventure Bike Tours
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #845
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 2,919
Got my seat all done. Added close to 3" to the height, and got rid of the main "dip" in it. Also flattened it out and made a minor cradle for rear-end comfort. So far feels so good. Not too bad to me for under 100$ and about 5-6 hours.

Time to ride

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #846
six50rider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I saw this thread on the German f650.de for a Wunderlich screen. What do you guys think of the look, I'm still undecided.

http://www.f650.de/forum/thread.php?...564#post116773

http://www.f650.de/forum/attachment....achmentid=1820
six50rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #847
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
added padding

Andrew, did you use the same cover material? Any fit difficulties?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #848
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by six50rider
I saw this thread on the German f650.de for a Wunderlich screen. What do you guys think of the look, I'm still undecided.

http://www.f650.de/forum/thread.php?...564#post116773

http://www.f650.de/forum/attachment....achmentid=1820
Doesn't do anything for me but maybe in person it looks better. Height looks about right though. There is a different screen on the Wunderlich USA website that I'm going to try as soon as they get it in stock.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #849
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 2,919
Kicksave,
It was a bit of a stretch, but the stock cover went on there rather nicely. To me and my brother (who assisted in smoothing things) it's extremely obvious that it's been modified, but to anyone else we showed, they thought it looked stock. If the weathers nicer tomorrow I'll try taking it for a bit of a spin. I got the inspiration for this from www.diymotorcycleseat.com Nice thing is that I have enough foam left to do my DRZ Seat. That should be much easier. Less curves :)

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #850
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Does anyone know if the Acerbis Rally PRO handguards will fit on the 09 X/C?

Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #851
ahill
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and new to motorcycling. First: thanks for all of the great tips and photos - I have learned so much and have really become keen to have some adventures on a bike. Second: I would love a little advice.

I am ready to buy a xcountry... well, almost ready. This bike is fantastic and I love the looks. But, I keep checking out the new f650gs twin. I can't get quite as excited about that bike, but it just seems like a much better deal. By the time you add a windscreen and a larger fuel tank to the xcountry the prices are pretty close (at least here is Canada). They both seem like pretty versatile bikes allowing for mostly road and a little off road travel which is what I want. Confused.

Does anyone with an xcountry with they had bought (or is thinking of trading in for) the new f650gs twin? Or is it all love all the time?

Thanks for your comments!
ahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #852
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahill

Does anyone with an xcountry with they had bought (or is thinking of trading in for) the new f650gs twin? Or is it all love all the time?

One of my buddies has an F650GS (twin) and he drops his bike more often than I drop mine. His weighs a lot more ...

All I know is I can ride like a demon both on-pavement and off. I love my yellow bike.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #853
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
One of my buddies has an F650GS (twin) and he drops his bike more often than I drop mine. His weighs a lot more ...

All I know is I can ride like a demon both on-pavement and off. I love my yellow bike.
I had the choice of either, and I chose the X-Co. Really the 650 twin isn't made for dirt at all. The X-Co is more nimble an fun, on and off road.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #854
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and new to motorcycling. First: thanks for all of the great tips and photos - I have learned so much and have really become keen to have some adventures on a bike. Second: I would love a little advice.

I am ready to buy a xcountry... well, almost ready. This bike is fantastic and I love the looks. But, I keep checking out the new f650gs twin. I can't get quite as excited about that bike, but it just seems like a much better deal. By the time you add a windscreen and a larger fuel tank to the xcountry the prices are pretty close (at least here is Canada). They both seem like pretty versatile bikes allowing for mostly road and a little off road travel which is what I want. Confused.

considered both options thoroughly before I chose my X-Country, I've had it since November 1st and I've put about 2,000 miles on it despite being away from it for work trips a big chunk of that time... at no point have I thought that I have made a mistake and chose the wrong bike...

that being said I think it is all about what you want, I wanted the simpler, lighter, more comfortable (to me and my butt), bike... I do know some people that have had remorse and most of them talk about things like "range" and "not enough capacity for luggage", and "not enough electrical power for heated gloves and vest and etc etc" and etc...

I really think that for most it boils down to a few things (not discussing price and or comfort because those are a given and everyone's wallet size and butt size are different) - if you want want a fun urban assault bike that has plenty of get-up and go, does interstate speeds easily, and will also let you blast around in the gravel and dirt, the X bikes are great... If you are more interested in wind protection, electric accessories, more comfortable 2 up capability, and to carry half your house along with you everywhere, get a F650GS (or one of the other even bigger GSs)...

If things like windscreen are jumping out at you now I'd guess you should go with the F650, certainly there are lots of windscreen options for the G bikes, but don't ignore your instincts, if you think the F650 looks like a better value, it probably would be to you... my 2 cents...
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #855
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:

Hi there,

I just put a deposit down on a new x/c. I researched bikes for 5 months before I finally decided on what to buy. I really wanted the 800GS, but couldn't afford it or justify the extra $4000, since I'll only be doing one big trip (3-4 days) a year. The majority of the time I'll be riding back roads, fire roads and going back and forth to work. I looked at the 650GS too, but it was definitely more of a road bike, and bigger, plus the x/c has more "character". It's just a cool looking bike, and there are hardly any around here.

I just love the little Bimmer, can't wait to pick it up in April, once all the damn snow goes. I'm already starting to pick up some soft luggage and other farkles for it.

I also looked at the new KLR 650, Versys, used DAKAR's, Tigers.

It really all boils down to what kind of riding will you be doing, and what makes ya happy.

Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote