User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
OBDR Route 3 ... sort of

A group of family and friends, 6 of us in all, made plans to do the WABDR this summer. But, since fire decimated half of that route, we were forced to change our plans. Instead we decided to do Route 3 of the OBDR, and maybe head over to the bottom of Route 5 if we had any more juice left. Then we heard that the tail end of route 3, around California, might also have fire issues. So, we decided to start from a set of Route 3 tracks that we had found, make some of our own modifications (and explore spurs along the way), cut out the California part, and make it a loop.

We set out on a Sunday, from my Dad's house, and returned the following Saturday. A full week of spectacular riding and camping out. The weather was perfect, mosquitoes were practically non-existent, and the scenery was amazing. Wow, Oregon is beautiful! Here are maps of our route, each day, captured from our GPS tracks:

Day 1: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5NzYzOQ==#
Day 2: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5ODE5Mw==
Day 3: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5ODE5NA==
Day 4: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5ODE5Ng==
Day 5: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5ODE5Nw==
Day 6: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5ODE5OA==
Day 7: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTA5ODE5OQ==

[pics and such to follow]

Boho Moto screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 07:43 PM
Boho Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
SailCycler
n00b

Oddometer: 1
orbdr sic

awesome....what a route..can you publish more?

SailCycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 518

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Bike loaded in the truck, little did I know that the truck wasn't going to make it to Central Oregon ...

Boho Moto screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 10:59 AM Reason: Pic not showing up
Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Crossing Mount Hood

Enroute to Central Oregon, while climbing Mount Hood, I saw smoke coming out the back of the truck. I immediately pulled over to see that I had a pretty good trail of fluid behind me. On top of that, and though my temp gauge read normal, my radiator overflow tank was boiling (later determined to be a non-issue, simply related to shutting off a hot engine).

The fluid felt viscous, like oil, but thinner. I suspected ATF, but it didn't smell particularly "sweet" to me. And, the ATF level seemed normal. Later I would find out that you can't read ATF level while the engine is off. This being my first and only automatic that I've ever owned, I was ignorant to the proper check procedure. Anyway, the fluid appeared to be coming from the junction between the tranny and the engine. A by-standard spent a good deal of time looking at it with me, and even offered to help. But, what could he do really? I told him to go on ahead with his travels. I would try and limp back down to Sandy, or maybe someplace a bit closer. If that failed, my Father, who lives in Central Oregon was on his way to meet me.

I limped back down to Welches, OR, where I found an auto shop that was open! The owner/mechanic told me that he had good news and bad news. The bad news was that my torque converter seal had blown. The good news was that he thought that I could save my trip and limp along to Central OR. He sold me a funnel and 2 quarts of ATF and I headed out again. I made it about 15 miles before I was completely out of fluid and the truck would not move forward or back. I had it towed back to the shop, now closed, and abandoned it with a note while I went on my way to continue my trip. We put my bike in the back of my Dad's truck, and off we went, about 4 or 5 hours behind schedule now.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

OK, more pics and such

So, I didn't really keep a blow-by-blow ride log. So, instead of telling the whole narrative of the ride, I am just going to post a bunch of pics with captions. You'll get the idea.

First nights camp. We kept the booze under wraps while riding, but when at camp, ... , well you know, what happens in camp stays ... [until this post].

Boho Moto screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 05:01 PM
Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,664
Log out, clear the cookie cache and log back in.. Your thread is fine and I"m able to reply.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

error

Thanks GB, for the follow-up. I just sent you a pm. The issue isn't whether or not I can create a new reply, it is that I cannot fix #7 (no edit button). And vinnard's message is no longer visable. I think that the two posts have been fused somehow? It may be that I had an open xml tag in my message that I forgot to close? If you look at the thread you will see that your message is #9, but there is no #8. I can see the missing message in page source.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Back On Track

I was having technical difficulties with this thread so I haven't added content for a bit. Sorry vinnard, while the admin was fixing one of my posts your comment was lost as well. Anyway, back on track...

The bikes gathered at my Dad's house the day we set out.

My Dad's bike, nicknamed "The Gray Whale". Someone jokingly added the bundle of wood.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #10
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

The Warthog

My bike got a new name too, "The Warthog". And, the Warthog motto is, "it ain't pretty it gets the job done."

Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

2nd Night

Camp aftermath, second night. A family member drove in to where we camped, via truck, and brought us food and beer. No Mountain House on night 2. Well, OK, we had Mountain House anyway. But we supplemented it with sausages and such.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

The Gray Whale is Injurred

So, the Gray Whale takes a nap on day 2. I double back to find it down, in a field, about 30 feet off of the road, still running, rider sill under it. The following is broken on the bike: bent shift lever, rear view mirror broken off, turn signal broken off, other turn signal damaged, windscreen broken, and multiple other bits of plastic broken or deformed. But the rider is fine. The story is, though no one else saw it, that he got off his line and out of control and went through a clump of trees. The trees yanked his hands off of the bars. When he went to grab back on, he grabbed a handful of throttle.

Here are a couple pics of the damage:

My brother (not the rider) holding up the broken mirror.

Busted turn signal.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Old 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Roughing it:

And, more roughing it:
Old 09-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Boho Moto OP
Adventurer

Delinquency detected

OK, I seem to have fallen asleep at the handlebars and never completed this thread. I will wrap up by posting a video with some of the remaining clips and images that I have. This video will probably get killed at some point, since it has music in it. But for now ...

http://youtu.be/kMOlKJ3yVQ8