User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #61
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumbs down No-on else?

I forgot one thing: Yetserday I rode 1686 km here in Italy, and I did not meet a single bike dyring the whole day. It is true that it was below 10C all the day, but still. Depressing!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #62
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,911
Of the places I've been in my life, Florence (the English version of the name) is my favorite town in the world. I could sit in front of the Duomo watching people go by for the rest of my life and be content. Maybe roam up to the Piti Palace, the Uffizi and down the Academia once in a while to contemplate the great works of art that can be found around there as well. Thanks for reminding me of that. Now just how do you expect me to get any work done since you transported me back there?
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #63
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Thumb Nice also from this angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
Of the places I've been in my life, Florence (the English version of the name) is my favorite town in the world. I could sit in front of the Duomo watching people go by for the rest of my life and be content.

In this picture I parked the bike next to a small side-walk trattoria; absolutely no parking, so a Jaguar with diplomatic plates and my bike were the only one .

I think it can be nice in summer, to sit here in the shade, while the Duomo towers over everything. Have a proper lunch, rounding it off with some Gorgonzola and a glass of powerful red wine to keep it company. Then a sigar.

[TaSK]
Old 01-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #64
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
I think it can be nice in summer, to sit here in the shade, while the Duomo towers over everything. Have a proper lunch, rounding it off with some Gorgonzola and a glass of powerful red wine to keep it company. Then a sigar.
Stop that, I have work to do:)

OK, now that you mention it I'll tell you a few of my favorite places in Florence. You've mentioned a few. Namely the Uffizi, the Piti Palace the Medici palace (Piazza della Signoria where the David copy stands today) and the Ponte Vechio. The art in the Uffizi and the Piti Palace has to be seen to be believed. I'm guessing that it is the largest collection of Renaissance art in Italy featuring the works of Michelangelo, de Vinci and Botticelli.

Next time you are there (it’s only a half a day to get there for you) just behind the Duomo is a small church called Santa Croce filled with frescos by Giotto. When you walk through the doors on your right is the tomb of Michelangelo. He asked to be buried there so that he could watch the angels fly over the Duomo or something like that. Next on your right is the tomb of Machiavelli. Across to your left is the tomb of Galileo (of Pizza fame of course). The original statue of the David is located at the Academia about six block from the Duomo in the direction away from the river Arno if I remember correctly. The original Baptistery doors (done by Pisano) from the Duomo are also on display there.

Just around the corner from the Duomo is the best Trattoria in all of Italy in my opinion. I forget the name of it but there was a leather store near the Duomo called "David2". If it’s still there, the owner pointed us to it. He is a relative of the Trattoria owner.

I could spend weeks in that town and never run out of things to see and do. Hell, I could spend the rest of my life wandering around Italy and never run out of things to see and do.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #65
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 680
Beautiful ride reports! And the food—especially what looks like good, crusty handmade bread—makes them even better.

You mentioned that you get to ride Tuscany for a living. I'm curious, because I too want to ride for a living, and am looking for ideas. If you don't mind, what is it that you do for a living?

"They've got roads there that make Deal's Gap look like a runway." —Buelligan1203 on Japan
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #66
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Thumb Not here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrdad
You mentioned that you get to ride Tuscany for a living. I'm curious, because I too want to ride for a living, and am looking for ideas.
I'm afraid that a moderator will nuke my thread and dump into Vendors or JoMama - Id' like to keep this thread here as a place where fellow riders can fetch ideas of what to do during their vacation in Toscana. So, I'll refrain from telling you here.

Instead I'll PM you.

[TaSK]

(while you wait you can click on the link in my signature)
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #67
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
I'm afraid that a moderator will nuke my thread and dump into Vendors or JoMama - Id' like to keep this thread here as a place where fellow riders can fetch ideas of what to do during their vacation in Toscana. So, I'll refrain from telling you here.

Instead I'll PM you.

[TaSK]

(while you wait you can click on the link in my signature)
Ah-ha! Thanks for the clarification. I've got it, now. And keep up the excellent ride-n'-eat reports!

"They've got roads there that make Deal's Gap look like a runway." —Buelligan1203 on Japan
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #68
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,507
TaSK,

Thanks for your posts and perhaps as you've intended to be the cultural and touristic ambassador for Tuscany - let me say in my case your posts and pictures have had a very strong persuasion in my leanings toward travel to the Tuscan region of Italy!!!!!!

If indeed I do travel to Tuscany, it will undoubtably be a journey on two wheels!

Okay, now a question:

Please explicate this elixir to an ignoramus such as me:

quote/: This leaves to Tuscan contenders - I need to go there to get an impression. Let us start with Brunello; I have included a picture of a Brunello I found in my cellar. My God, I am looking forward to taste that one! /endquote . . . .

Please, I'd like a description of this (rare?) treat(Brunello) as I am soon to be 47 and it is yet to cross my lips! I need to know and perhaps, need not be deprived.

Thanks!

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #69
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Talking Brunello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat
Please, I'd like a description of this (rare?) treat(Brunello) as I am soon to be 47 and it is yet to cross my lips! I need to know and perhaps, need not be deprived.
Thanks!
Wikipedia is your friend! A short but accurate and to-the-point introduction can be found here. My drinking experience is that one of the few things that seems to work here in Italy is the wine-classification system. The name Brunello di Montalcino can only be used if the wine has been made in Montalcino, according to the rules for the wine, AND the wine itself pass a set of tests conducted by officials from the Goverment before it is botteled. Every single bottle should have a paper-strip glued to the neck, or over the cork, certifying it has been tested.

Thus, even there are variations within the Brunello as the producers strive to excel, if they want to call their wine Brunello, there are strict limits to what they can do. For example: No other grapes than sangiovese are allowed, and thus the variations you can obtain is limited. The bottom line is that there is no reason to buy in the upper half of the price range. Normally I stay in the lower third, and I am very happy.

The Brunello is a very powerful wine. It will completely overpower small things like chicken or pasta with vegetables. This is a wine for game and other heavy-weight dishes. For my birthday dinner next week I will serve Bistecca Fiorentina (info here). Remember that the Brunello should be opened at least one hour before serving, and that many bottles have residue (or whatever you call the things that are sinking to the bottom of the bottle) so keep it upright for som ours before serving.

The picture at the top was taken in Chianti, just south of Siena a few kilometers noth of Montalcino. These fields have been farmed for (more than) 2.000 years and therefore there are no edges left. These are the rolling hills of Chianti! The bottom picture shows part of a Bistecca Fiorentina, a few salsicce, and a bottle of Chianti Classico. Note the paper label just visible on the top of the bottle.

Oh well - this thread is supposed to be about riding, not eating. But I got carried away, sorry. Tomorrow is Sunday and I'll make a proper ride report for you. Maybe I'll ride down and take a look at the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (info here).

[TaSK]
Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #70
Red Roadster
Roaming Redneck

Oddometer: 260
Hello TaSK,

I'm really enjoying your photos. I went to Italy in December of 2006. We went to Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, Orvieto, San Gimignano, Chianciano Terme, Montepulciano, Siena, Florence, Assissi, and back to Rome.

We went to a few of the places you have posted here. Please do show the inmates the photos of the cellars in Montepulciano.

I'm off to Germany and Hungary this summer with the daughter.

At the risk of the mods, I'll see you for an extended stay in the summer of 2010!!

Ride safe,
Steve
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #71
gothamAlp
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
benissimo, TAG-liatelli! you brightened my very cold sunday morning on the other side of the world. i spent my 20th birthday with a beautiful girl in firenze, and that was was too long ago. i need to get back, and you have inspired me.

grazie mille, and continued buon viaggio
gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #72
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
Toscana. Been there twice on my GS. Beyond beautiful. I hope to return in the spring.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #73
motorrider
Ride as much as you can!

Oddometer: 81
Hello Tagesk,

Great report. Tuscany is very beautiful.
Look were I was in September.

motorrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #74
ladygodiva
Gnocca

Oddometer: 13,418
hey there neighbor

Basta, basta, basta! You're killing me!

It's a beautiful day here and there is nothing I would prefer to riding up to Tuscany through the hills and stopping for a good bottle of red wine, some ribollita, pecorino e miele, whatever ......

Keep it coming, keep it coming

"Life's too short to drink bad wine" Lessing

"The civilized people have lost the aptitude of stillness, and must take lessons in silence from the wild." Isak Dinesen aka Karen Blixen

"He who makes a beast of himself get's rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
ladygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #75
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,507
Thumb Culture Thread!

Yes, this is it - the place i go for a dose of culture!

Food, wine, cafe(coffee), architecture, religious structures, countryside, cities and well - um - roads too! Thanks for reminding us what's out there in that fabulous culture that is Tuscany or Toscana (hope I spelled that right).

I, for one, am just drooling to visit there, but the timing isn't quite right as the exchange rate makes me rethink my intention . . . . . .

Congrats on the distance ride!!!!!! Looks like you put in some serious seat time on the saddle.

Thank you for this RR TaSK ! ! ! ! !

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote