Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 260 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #2746
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I like real trucks.

I don't know if they came this way from the factory, but I'd love to own a truck with a transmission like this:

And this is how a man drives a truck:

I specifically sought out a F-150 with a V8, stick shift, and stick for the transfer case just to have something reminiscent of what real trucks used to be. Can't stand slush-boxes or trucks that people dump too much time and money into that have effeminate transmissions in 'em.
The rear stick is the actual transmission. The other is an overdrive box. I'd imagine he's only got a 3-speed SM420 in there. It would make more sense to swap in something like a NV4500 or Clark 5-speed.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #2747
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
The rear stick is the actual transmission. The other is an overdrive box. I'd imagine he's only got a 3-speed SM420 in there. It would make more sense to swap in something like a NV4500 or Clark 5-speed.
There is only a minor change in RPM after those gear switches. I realize these things redlines at just a couple thousand RPM, but switching that often to get to 30mph seems like overkill - unless you have a trailer full of horses or a house behind you.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #2748
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,144
Quote:

He also needs to adjust his alternator belts.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #2749
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
There is only a minor change in RPM after those gear switches. I realize these things redlines at just a couple thousand RPM, but switching that often to get to 30mph seems like overkill - unless you have a trailer full of horses or a house behind you.
Whoops ,made a mistake, the SM420 is a 4-speed transmission.

If the transmission he's got in there is a SM420 or SM465, his first gear is 7.01:1 (6.55:1) with 2nd 3.6:1 and 3rd 1.7:1 with 1:1 at 4th. With 1st that low you're basically left with 3 speeds. I agree that it is silly to run an OD like that when he could have a modern 5-speed. OD boxes are usually found in big trucks like big rigs. Although I think they now use a electronic solenoid so there is a small switch on the shifter and not twin sticks.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #2750
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Not all that "cool", but it is my new shiny thing:

Power from the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder is "adequate" I suppose. I guess I need to manage my expectations and RPMs as it sure doesn't have the torque of the 2.5 liter six in my car - you have to run the RPMs up to get any real power from it, and even then it isn't much.

That's okay (although I may have someone look at it to make sure it is okay) as I didn't buy it to race around in, just as a daily driver.

At least the 4WD seems to work.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #2751
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
He probably doesn't need the aux. trans for normal driving. For that light of a truck he could get away with the main and then shift up the aux. when he is in top gear.

Also, either he purposely has the engine tuned rich or he needs someone to retune his rack - it does no good to be putting out all that unburnt diesel, it doesn't make power, it just pollutes. Beyond that, I am wondering it it really has a turbo as the caption said; the old DDs usually only came with just the supercharger - it was rare to also add on a turbo, although you could if you wanted (we had a 6V92 or was it an 8v92, with twin turbos in a 25 foot MSB in the USCG and that thing was a real powerhouse from what I heard).
Old 12-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #2752
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,773
1995 Cummins with 230,000 miles and Jayco camper, since removed and sold. Hauls my DR650 and camping/moving stuff now. With a topper only.

Before this truck, I had a new 1970 Dodge with 383 engine that would pull a mountain off its base. And the first truck for me was a 1955 Ford with big slicks on the back, a T-bird overbored engine with electric overdrive (switch on the dashboard for shifting up or down). It cost me almost zero, since a customer left the truck with us after the engine blew and I rebuilt a T-bird engine for it. Look liked this one except for the paint job:

1970 Dodge with the right color paint:

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 07:06 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #2753
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,085

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #2754
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,597
Nice! Frame in good shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Not all that "cool", but it is my new shiny thing:

Power from the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder is "adequate" I suppose. I guess I need to manage my expectations and RPMs as it sure doesn't have the torque of the 2.5 liter six in my car - you have to run the RPMs up to get any real power from it, and even then it isn't much.

That's okay (although I may have someone look at it to make sure it is okay) as I didn't buy it to race around in, just as a daily driver.

At least the 4WD seems to work.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #2755
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #2756
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
Nice! Frame in good shape?
As far as I can tell.

The engine had some head work done on it. New radiator too.

But as I was coming home last night the "check engine" light came on.

I think I am going to have to work out some of the kinks.

Probably take the canopy off pretty soon - don't need it and I want to haul stuff in the bed.

The main thing is that it is completely stock (except for the brush guard which I will probably take off). This way I can know that some kid didn't go out and beat it to death on a trail, and jack up the suspension all wrong, and so on.

The suspension does feel loose, but that is not surprising after 220+k miles. For now I will leave it mostly stock. The idea is to use it as a daily driver and something to haul bikes to the trails in and so on. I just need it to do okay in the snow (it will probably snow here tonight) and muddy/dirt/gravel/potholed roads, and be reliable. I am not going wheeling or crawling with it - I just can't get out of my road without a 4WD when it snows and my other truck (1+ ton Dodge 3500 with 12' bed) is too big to be a convenient daily driver (besides, I need to work on it too).

I just need to get some loading ramps and some studded tires and I will should be set for this winter. I noticed it had some tie downs in the bed at each corner - I will probably get a couple of these though:

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #2757
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 101
Does this qualify?

My daily transport since 1999!

And NO electronics, which is why the Pikeys are always wanting to to steal it to sell in Africa!

R80 G/S (81)
R100 GSPD (92)
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #2758
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I don't know if they came this way from the factory, but...

They didn't.

However, I did see a few Detroit / twin stick conversions just like that in GM duallys back in the late '70s / early '80s around some of the big-time Quarter Horse shows.

Back at that time, there was no diesel in a light duty truck that could pull a big horse trailer, so everyone used the 454 gas engine in thier GM trucks...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #2759
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright2007 View Post
Does this qualify?

My daily transport since 1999!

And NO electronics, which is why the Pikeys are always wanting to to steal it to sell in Africa!

What's a Pikey?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #2760
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
What's a Pikey?
Lowlife Travelers .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308