Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #1276
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,330
I know know it ain't got a bed but...

I still call it a truck. I did remove the back seat and run it as a flat bed 24/7.

Jacked it up with some Old Man Emu heavy duty springs.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #1277
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
new (to me) truck

my new project/bike hauler. F-250 Diesel with dual tanks and liftgate.

cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #1278
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Nice, utilitarian truck. As trucks should be!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #1279
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,079
that does look useful. Nice
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #1280
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

yes, it's very utilitarian... is there a forum for discussing diesel truck repair/issues on advrider, just curious.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #1281
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 385
My 49 CJ2A
Found growing in the weeds - took a bit of work.
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #1282
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
^^So freakin' cool.^^
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #1283
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr
My 49 CJ2A
Nice work.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #1284
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer
yes, it's very utilitarian... is there a forum for discussing diesel truck repair/issues on advrider, just curious.

Dont think their is BUT what ya need to know pm me if ya like.

IM a diesel tech by trade and spent a few years working on the old IDI Ford diesels like ya have there. Is yours a 6.9L or a 7.3L?

Oh and i used to own a VERY well tuned and modded 7.3 IDI with the factory turbo. Truck went like stink (it would out run my first bike a 650cc vstar witch was slow for a bike but still impressive for a 7000lbs truck to beat it). BUT it also was not very reliable after the modifications LOL. But hey that truck would still see 21mpg driven nicely.

Heres some pics of my old BEAST ( i miss that truck ).

would ya believe i bought that thing as a beat up farm truck LOL Little elbo grease and ALOT of work and about $3000 go a long way LOL
TinyBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #1285
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

very nice truck you had. I just picked up my truck. it used to be someone's work truck (lift gate and a vice, etc...), maybe a farm truck. the engine/tranny is great on it, and the frame doesn't have any rust, the bed does, etc.. only has 122,000 miles on it. it's a 6.9l without turbo.

however, someone converted it to veggie and got rid of the mechanical fuel pump, switchover for the dual tank, and installed electric fuel pumps and coolant heated fuel line and tank heater for the veggie tank. they also ran some bad diesel/bio diesel and the rear tank has red/brown varnish/slime in it and both of the electric fuel pumps are ruined, etc...

anyway, I ordered a new rear tank (it was cheaper than trying to clean the exising tank) and new fuel pump. at this point I just want to get it running on diesel with one of the tanks and then eventually rip out the veggie conversion stuff, since it's kind of hokey/amateurish and convert it back to normal. I'm also tempted to add a turbo kit (banks, or ATS?) at some time in the future to get even better mileage, especially at elevation.

at this time, I'm just trying to figure out what the standard fuel delivery system should look like and whether the fuel pumps that came on it are adequate (they are some generic fuel pump from napa), or whether I should go back to the manual pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear
Dont think their is BUT what ya need to know pm me if ya like.

IM a diesel tech by trade and spent a few years working on the old IDI Ford diesels like ya have there. Is yours a 6.9L or a 7.3L?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #1286
JasonH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
While we're on old Fords, here's one I sold a few years ago to a guy in New Zealand. He bought it based on my pictures and had it shipped over.
85 F350 with the 6.9L and a C6. I added a Hypermax turbo kit and a Gear Vendor. Originally owned by Jerry Owens of Owens Sausage. He bought it to haul his hot air balloon. Had dual sunroofs (that leaked like screen doors). Looked like new in and out.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #1287
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
The manuel pump worked well enuff even with the modifications i made but if its got electric pumps on it now and they they work they will deliver just fine.

I dont have any experiance with vegie converstions but if ya live in a colder climate Veggie coversions are problematic due to gelling of the fuel (even coolant heated).

Sounds like youron the rigth track but i would recomend you stay away from the turbo kit. It will net ya better power and a bit better fuel milage BUT 6.9L had issues with head gasket failurs due to a weaker head bolt. They do make much nicer stronger STUDS for the 6.9L and that would handel the boost just fine if ya really want to go all out. The 6.9L is imho a better engine than the 7.3 as they are more robust and not suseptable to cavitation of the cylinder walls like the 7.3 are.

Also for trouble starting check your glow plugs. ITs easy to do. take your test light put the clamp on the POSITVE terminal of the battery. And then Disconnect the harness plug for the Glow plug (8 of em) and touch the test light to the glow plug end. If it lights up the glow plug is good.

Also if its got air in the system (AKA if it has starved for fuel). your gona need to pull off the fuel filter and fill it with GOOD diesel and put it back on. You may need to give it a LITTLE either to get it going and bleed out the air in the fuel system.

It may be a good plan to put a bit of fuel conditioner and 1/2 a liter of automatic trans fluid in your first tank of fuel as well if the trucks been sitting for a bit. Veggie and Bio Diesels are hard on the seals of a old mechanic injection pump. The 50/50 mix of Atf and conditioner is a old trick to help seal up the pump a bit and it will run MUCH better if or untill the seals dry out again.
TinyBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #1288
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
This is a Leyland Buffalo,the biggest on road British truck of the '50's.Very few came to New Zealand,and I think I might know this one.My father worked as a mechanic for a haulage company,and their Buffalo was his favorite truck...it was used to haul the biggest loads,not fast,but it could pull them.A sad state for one of the mightiest trucks on the road in that era.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #1289
SKT
Born II Ride

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr

My 49 CJ2A

Good looking Willys!!

Do you have any before pics?

'02 HD Deuce

'07 HD Springer Classic
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #1290
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Where is that? I know someone on Steel Soldiers would love to rescue and restore that old PowerWagon.
It's just off 68 in Merceer County ,Ky. next to the Kentucky River. IF you know someone who wants to look at it P.M. me.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: