Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
mqo233 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Question screen size

I do not want to get crazy, but my eyesight is not like it use to be, so I find it hard to see the small screen on my Garmin street. So without going to extreme, I am looking for a larger viewing screen. Any ides, and it should work in the rain, heck, it would be nice to sirus radio as well, weather radar would even be better, can anyone help me. Thanks a lot,

James
mqo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
376c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqo233
I do not want to get crazy, but my eyesight is not like it use to be, so I find it hard to see the small screen on my Garmin street. So without going to extreme, I am looking for a larger viewing screen. Any ides, and it should work in the rain, heck, it would be nice to sirus radio as well, weather radar would even be better, can anyone help me. Thanks a lot,

James
The garmin 376c has one of if not the highest resolution of the small units. Larger units are difficult to mount on a MC. The 376c also has Sat Radio built in. Can be read in full sunlight also. Look at GPSCity.com for a comparo of screen sizes and resolutions.

HTH,

Rick
rjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
QualityAir
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
any others

Even if their more difficult to mount, what other large screen, weather proof units are out there besides the '76 or '78 Garmins
QualityAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqo233
I do not want to get crazy, but my eyesight is not like it use to be, so I find it hard to see the small screen on my Garmin street.
Hi James,

What is the "Garmin street"? Can you tell us which model you currently have so we can recommend something which has a bigger screen and/or better resolution?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
What bike are you mounting it on??
On my GS i use the Lowrance 600c, Has proven the best, Comes with Navteq street maps, and Tiger Topo maps built in
Waterproof and no problems with vibration etc

5" screen 480x640 resolution can't be beat
On sale here at Tiger GPS
And unlike the Garmin Street units these will do tracks both saved and imported.
Ram ball mounts direct to back and I use the Ram locking knob so I don't worry about someone doing a quick steal while I am in a restaurant or ???

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
On my GS i use the Lowrance 600c, Has proven the best, Comes with Navteq street maps, and Tiger Topo maps built in

And unlike the Garmin Street units these will do tracks both saved and imported.
Ram ball mounts direct to back and I use the Ram locking knob so I don't worry about someone doing a quick steal while I am in a restaurant or ???
Holy crap! "Maps can be updated through the internal USB port with Windows XP/ME/2000, Macintosh OS X, or Linux"

Really? the lack of Mac support is the last great obstacle which is keeping me from getting a Zumo...
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf

That 600c is a terrific unit. Fantastic screen and the user interface was (for me at least) much easier to use than the Zumo. I wish it was a tad lighter though.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Lowrance 600c Off-road?

I looked at the Lowrance spec sheet. Looks to be a wonderful unit at a nice price!

1) Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about preloaded topos maps at that site though????
2) Didn't see any reference to a battery so I assume it's external power only.
3) I would worry about the durability of the mechanical micro hard drive off-road.

MCNut
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
I looked at the Lowrance spec sheet. Looks to be a wonderful unit at a nice price!

1) Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about preloaded topos maps at that site though????
3) I would worry about the durability of the mechanical micro hard drive off-road.

MCNut
Part of my What to Get dilemma has been that I sorta want a hand-held size battery unit for hiking and stuff, but can't really see using that small of a screen on a bike*. But this Lowrance could solve that problem for me. It is cheap enough that I could get the Lowrance for the bike and a separate hand-held for hiking/urban exploration.

*a bike with some "character", a tiny little windscreen and a rider with 45 year old eyes that is.
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut

MCNut
1. Topographic contour lines are available when the "OFF ROAD" (Topographical & Inland lakes) map data sets are selected. To turn them on, you must press the MENU key, then press MENU 2 and select the CATEGORIES DRAWN button, and check the "Elevation" option.
2. Yes ext power only
3. It is a ruggedized drive but ? Have not had a problem yet with the 600, the earlier 500c's had problems on a few units, Not that many reports on the 600c, It is always a worry, at least for the first year you have a warranty.
Great GPS

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
In the car the screen will typically sit 20 - 24 inches from yor eyes

On the bike it will sit 12 - 15 inches away.

Small screens are not the big problem they might appear to be.
I am very short sighted and wear bifocals and have no problems reading my GPSmap 60Cx

BurnieM screwed with this post 12-20-2007 at 05:02 AM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:51 AM   #12
QualityAir
Gnarly Adventurer

As anybody considered the GSMAP 5008, It looks like it will take SD cards, is waterproof, battery back-up, and XM nexrad and radio.
Do any of you experts see any down sides to converting this to road work?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #13
QualityAir
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.tigergps.com/garmingpsmap5008.html
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #14
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityAir
As anybody considered the GSMAP 5008, It looks like it will take SD cards, is waterproof, battery back-up, and XM nexrad and radio.
Do any of you experts see any down sides to converting this to road work?
You mean other than the fact that it's $2500?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
QualityAir
Gnarly Adventurer

As far as it's selling price, I'm more concerned of it's ability to provide me with the needed info in a easily seen format. Thru hard work and a little luck I've been able to not worry so much these days about money, and of course when it comes to Our farkles, all are justifiable. "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it "