User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:52 AM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Considering Triumph with Cozy sidecar trade

I'm considering trading My 06 Miata to a Miata forum member for his 2010 Triumph Bonneville with Cozy sidecar. I've wanted a Ural but the reliability issues have me scared. The seller says this steers easily and can be one handed at speed if needed. Also the bike brakes are enough for the setup. What else should I be asking the seller? Does this seem like a good trade? I like the Bonneville enough that if I didn't like the car I'd just ride the bike as is. Does not having an Earles fork present a drawback?

The reason I'm interested in a sidecar is so my wife, son and I could ride together. Also I'd feel more secure on a sidecar rig than a two wheeler in the winter. Not looking to ride in deep snow but on roads that are mostly clear but could have some ice on them. Is a sidecar safer in such a condition than a bike or am I fooling myself?
Attached Images

Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #2
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
No you arent fooling yourself, 3 wheels is more stable than 2, but ice is ice, and it is easy to have the rear tire push out if you catch some of it.

My friend here has a cozy on his 06 triumph. Nice rig, really classy look to it, however the cozy sidecar is TINY! I mean, its tight for an average adult female. I dont think I could even ride in it comfortably.

Just something to consider. I would also relocate that steering damper. I think you usually want it higher up if possible, like near the trees, so that it is not interrupting lower leg movement, etc.

As to if its worth it, it all depends on how much your car is worth i spose. If you are thinking of taking wife and son at the same time or anything like that though, I would look for a roomier car. My old velorex was roomier than the cozy!
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #3
Matt Gent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Can't help with your questions, but that is a nice looking rig. Love the color selection too.
Matt Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #4
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
As someone with a Cozy sidecar on my airhead, I would agree that the sidecar is cramped (16" wide seat) and my wife says the ride is pretty harsh. The stock frame is on the light side but that looks like the one in your photo was modified and lowered so I suspect they may have addressed the light duty frame and harsh suspension issues. I tried a lighter spring on the sidecar and it did little to address the "riding on a jackhammer". And there is still the cramped space. BTW, cramped as far as width, there is plenty of leg room and even my 6' something son has ridden in it several times and never complained about the legroom. The Cozy worked great for carrying junk, testing the water on this whole sidecar thing, and providing stability in the winter. I rode all winter as long as it was above -25F and with studded tires, handling in all but deep snow was great.

You'll hear that that Cozy is too light to be seriously considered but the chair on my Ural comes up much easier than the Cozy. And at 200# it's comparable to many other sidecars. Mine is mounted using a DMC subframe on the airhead and modified front mount and a new rear crossmember on the sidecar. The universal mounting hardware that came with the sidecar were much lighter weight than the DMC hardware.

That looks like a really nice rig. Hope this helps...
My Blog

richardak screwed with this post Today at 01:04 PM
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:43 PM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Yeah the chair will keep you from flopping over but slick is slick so other than not tipping over don't expect more control. There is a learning curve driving a hack so learn well before you take the family for a cruise. No, years piloting a 2 wheeler don't count for zip and those skills need to be ignored to pilot a hack It's whole new ballgame. And nope you won't learn the new skills on a Sat afternoon jaunt. Certainly learnable skills but it takes time and practice, practice. Sure it won't tip over at a street light or slide out from under you on snow but you can get in very serious trouble if you screw up. Your plan is good, hacks are a blast especially in winter but it's NOT a jump on vroom vroom off we go instant oatmeal..."lookee me I'm a cook" thing. Great fun practical rigs and a bonneville/cozy outfit will be a hoot but...spend the time to learn before hauling the family.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:39 PM   #6
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 923
I have had no problems with my steering stabilizer mounted to the lower end of fork leg right at axle and I ride the piss out of my rig.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #7
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Absolutely what usgser said about ice. You didn't mention where you are located or what you normally see in the winter. Here in interior Alaska, studded tires are permitted and I used studs on the front and pusher (Heidenau K60 tires for both). Without them I wouldn't have even been able to get out of the driveway. With them, you could deal with the ice and packed snow. Deep snow was another story.

Also, I did not do any steering mods with the Beemer so the steering was heavy. This is somewhat of an advantage on slick surfaces as you have great feedback on the available traction i.e. if the steering gets light you don't have good traction. After a while you get used to the feeling and I started to look forward to fresh snow as you could drift through the corners. Requires a lot of moving around on the bike and careful use of the throttle. Plus, around here ice on the road isn't as common as it would be in warmer areas.
My Blog
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:38 PM   #8
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
That is a nice looking combo and great colors.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12 PM   #9
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
I live near Chicago. Usually when we get snow within 2 days the streets are completely clear with maybe only a trickle of ice from melting snow. That is the situation I'd likely be riding in. I have an ATV that I ride in my neighborhood in the winter but since its not street legal I can't go any further. I'm kind of thinking of a sidecar bike as being similar to an ATV.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 PM   #10
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Thumb

I say go...

Great looking Triumph and yes the Cozy is tiny.
Maybe you could get a larger tub.
Who wants a Miata?

Don in Nipomo
D.Bachtel is online now   Reply With Quote