Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #1786
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
So while that particular device was designed with the handicapped in mind, there was a serious Czech attempt to make a low-cost alternative to a car that nonetheless provided some of the creature comforts of one.

It was essentially the back of a 350 Jawa with two wheels in the front and a sort of tarpaulin body stretched over a frame. To shift into reverse, you stopped the motor and flipped a lever which reversed the operation of the two-stroke motor. Sure, this was a little awkward, but with four gears, it was the fastest motorcycle contraption in the world going backwards

My father almost bought one back in the 60s, but was rebuked by my grandmother who demanded not to be subjected to such humiliation. I always thought that was a bit unfortunate

Richard, have you come across such a beastie?
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #1787
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
Richard, have you come across such a beastie?
Yes, more than once. I saw one just this weekend, since there was a classic car event just a village away from me, but didn’t make a pic.

I think you mean this type of Velorex:

Richard-NL
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #1788
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

yes that's the one! I love that thing
Old 06-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #1789
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
The distinguished gentleman from the UK built it himself.

New project (and this is really new!!!!!!! ) from the same guy:

Very well done, Mr. Martin Preston.

Richard-NL
Old 06-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #1790
Jorg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
not mine,
a distinguished gentleman from the US built it himself.

Jorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #1791
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,464
Grabbed these off of E-bay.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #1792
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Grabbed these off of E-bay.

Yeah! That's awesome. I love those things!

Wait, did you get that outfit from eBay, or just the pics?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #1793
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,040
What a piece of work!

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #1794
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
Yeah! That's awesome. I love those things!

Wait, did you get that outfit from eBay, or just the pics?

Just the pics. Buy it now for $8000! Looks like almost zero lead, too. I know that's not optimal from reading the sidecar design thread.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #1795
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteWait
...Very nice. I can see the Aerial Atom influence...
First thing that crossed my mind also. Saw that car at the Autosport Engineering show in January.
I like the set-up of the driveline. I had something like that figured out some time ago, but never realised that you can use a reverse box from a racecar for this. Very nice piece of craftmanship

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #1796
LeighSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
That Suzuki GSX1400 is some piece of craftsmanship, possibly boarding on ART. Unusual to see a left-handed sidecar that trick. FANTASTIC

Triumph Tiger 900 Solo

Triumph Tiger 900 Sidecar
LeighSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #1797
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:

Richard-NL
This is a fantastic looking creation! But I do have some questions.
What is the wheelbase?
The upper control arm for the rear wheel is extremely short in comparison to the lower one . Is there a reason for this?
It looks like it would be fairly easy to design for the sidecar on the right side. Is this to remain a one-off or will it be produced?

Again fantasic!

The HP sidecar week is in Maggie Valley N.C. from 6-20 to 6-27. If you are in the neighborhood and want to see some dream machines they'll be there. Headquarters is the Apple Tree Inn.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #1798
Willi-Jens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:

Richard-NL
That's one cool looking project
Comparable to the MV Agusta project of Roland judging from those few photos to both of them
Willi-Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #1799
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thumb Wow !

Martin Preston's interpretation of a sidecar rig may not be everybody's ideal, and some debate might ensue over detail. However, what a credit to the man in terms of engineering, looks, and that certain WOW factor.

Totally impressive, but is it for personal satisfaction, production, or whatever. As someone as said, don't see many outfits like this emerging from the UK.
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #1800
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

@ LiteWait. Regarding the looks. Yes, it has so much of the Ariel, that you wonder if these Brits don’t work together. The original English site can be found here: ARIEL
Also I don’t think the Martin Preston I’m referring to, has that many rings on his fingers.

@ RedRocket. I agree.

@ Erik RS. Regarding the drive-line. The Quaife reverse box is often used in powerfull bike-engined kitcars (Hayabusa / Blackbird) and also in trikes. Even Mobec uses it in their Superdrive. Also the chainbox that Sidebike from France uses for their twowheeldrive Zeus looks to me like it comes from Quaife. Quaife has more interesting stuff for driven sidecar use.QUAIFE Also kitcar builders have interesting stuff for sidecarbuilders. A former trike builder who has been working a lot with these reverse boxes, told me however, he wasn’t really fond of this Quaife reverse.

@ LeighSA. This left hand sidecar makes it a little bit easier. Or you would have to look for a bike with the sprocket on the right side. Adapting the lead for the sidecarwheel is an issue too.

@ bk brkr baker. I have no idea what the wheelbase is, but it looks close to 2 meters. I do not have any answers on the short upper control arm. Maybe it was just made like this, because place for the shaft was needed during built up and/or they didn’t want the cv joint and axle to move in and out a lot? See also the very short shocks all around. Furthermore, I think it will be a one-off.
For a sidecar on the right side, you will need a solution like Tech 3 or Mobec does for converting from the left to the right side. See also my answer towards LeighSA.

@ Willi-Jens. It has a bit of a Ruko combined with a Mobec. To be honest, I like Roland’s MV Augusta front look better.

@ Sidecarjohn. I couldn’t agree more. Some details make me wonder to, but no doubt there’s a damned good explanation for it.
I, for example, like the extra rubber cush drive and dislike more or less the open chain (two of them). And why an u-joint in the front drive and homokinetic or cv joints (hopefully use these words correctly) in the rear and to the sidecar wheel? There’s probably a reason.
Anyway, I’m very impressed by this. It certainly made me think "wow"

Richard-NL