Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #271
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider75
It came all the way from our neck of the woods, Mike...southern Ontario. Nice classic Velorex 560 rigged to the old kickstart SR thumper. It was featured in Cycle Canada's "showcase" last year.
Well, there's a bit of interesting trivia... never would have known it was a Canuck rig. But I don't subscribe to Cycle Canada (and after the article Neil Graham did on my CURD Rally as seen in the Feb issue, I'm not likely to become a subscriber any time soon) so that's why I didn't know the history of this rig. Do you know who did the installation?
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #272
Hoofhearted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Its designed to go straight (hopefully) and the only turning it will do is turning off the course at slow speed. The ballast issue is still up in the air. It would be nice to have one of them fancy carbon fiber kneelers but they are out of my league. Apart from that I'm lazy. I like laying down. There are rules on streamling that would make a GP style kneeler illegal. Basically it has to do with the ability to exit the outfit unrestricted. If you go to www.scta-bni.org the rules and other info are available.
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #273
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummiente
Well, there's a bit of interesting trivia... never would have known it was a Canuck rig. But I don't subscribe to Cycle Canada (and after the article Neil Graham did on my CURD Rally as seen in the Feb issue, I'm not likely to become a subscriber any time soon) so that's why I didn't know the history of this rig. Do you know who did the installation?
The previous owner Joe did the installation himself; there's no subframe but it sounds like it's rigged properly, he was quite knowledgeable and sounded well-read on sidecar mechanics and rigging techniques when I spoke to him on the phone. It's attached to the SR frame in five places, including one mount on the opposite side of the frame.

I hear you on the CURD rally article, I was annoyed by it and I don't even own a Ural (yet), nor have I been to a CURD event, but it was clear that Neil wanted to caricature the event in terms of all of his preconceptions about non-Japanese, non-sportbikes. Judging by some of his previous writing, he's fairly intolerable of motorcyclists that don't subscribe to his view of the "right" way to ride.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #274
cycomoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
The previous owner Joe did the installation himself; there's no subframe but it sounds like it's rigged properly, he was quite knowledgeable and sounded well-read on sidecar mechanics and rigging techniques when I spoke to him on the phone. It's attached to the SR frame in five places, including one mount on the opposite side of the frame.
dc
Joe was really knowledgable about SR's. It seems that the sidecar is rigged up properly. It rolls nicely. It was worth the drive to Ontario. 2000 miles in 48 hours. I was careful with all of the importation paperwork and now have a clear GA title and completely legal registration. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

As an aside, I did a bunch of research for some nice ballast to ride with. since I am a novice sidecarist. I found some really nice stainless steel shot bags used for light riggings.

http://www.lowinglight.com/products.html

It's more expensive than sand or water, but much neater. The bags are nicely made with handles. I bought 6 15# bags so that I can adjust the weight to accommodate my two year-old daughter.

"It's now how fast you go, but how you go fast"
cycomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #275
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
He obviously knew what he was doing. I had thought it might have been done by Porkchopp at R&T Motorrad, an old Army buddy of mine who has forgotten more about sidecar rigs than I'll ever know. The steering damper attached to the front right fork leg is one of his trademarks, that's why I had asked.

As for Neil Graham, I'll have to tell you the details some day of the interesting conversation we had about bikes on the Saturday evening of the CURD Rally. "Intolerable" could be used to describe his personality and opinions, too.
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #276
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomoto
Here's a picture of the newest addition to my stable. 1978 Yamaha SR500 with 1970 Jawa Velorex Model 560 sidecar. It's like the two were made for each other.

There certainly can't be that many SRs in such good nick. Was it restored when the chair went on?
I love older Jap bikes, got a couple in various states of (dis)repair.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #277
Bandit Bill
Newfie Rocketeer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummiente
Almost looks like my old 560 i sold off in the Mid-90's.. that was a classy sidecar.
http://www.chairintheair.ca
Bandit Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #278
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
Sidecar rally on the Murry river a few years ago.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #279
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,892
Sidecar rally at Strathmerton, that's going back a few years Andy, nice pics.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #280
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,582
The burgundy GoldWing, with the girl on the side, middle snap - that's Ray ??? (tip of the tongue - someone help me) outfit. Haven't seen him in several years.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #281
sidecarkeith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Our outfit, hope you like.
Yes we carry the electric hoist with us and wheel chair, no stopping real bikers.

Anne & Keith
sidecarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #282
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,096
My wife has a red one of these mounted to an R90/6

But we cant find the Velorex emblem that mounts on the front of the sidecar to complete the restoration.

Anyone have any ideas where i can get one?

thanks in advance.

sdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomoto
Here's a picture of the newest addition to my stable. 1978 Yamaha SR500 with 1970 Jawa Velorex Model 560 sidecar. It's like the two were made for each other.

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #283
cycomoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpc2
But we cant find the Velorex emblem that mounts on the front of the sidecar to complete the restoration.

Anyone have any ideas where i can get one?

thanks in advance.

sdc
I saw your post on sidecar.com. Someone responded with an offer. Did you not get one from him? Check back to see if he still has them.

http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/threa...?threadid=5228

Good luck.

"It's now how fast you go, but how you go fast"
cycomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #284
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarkeith
Our outfit, hope you like.
Anne & Keith

Nice setup!!! You two are great!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #285
charlie98210
...a mischievous soul

Oddometer: 5,780
I thought I had posted in here before. Anyways...my internet host lost all my photos, so here's my rig.

It's a 2003 Ural Tourist with a Vetter Windjammer III fairing and the rear seat is a fiberglass boat tail from a 1970-71 Harley Sportster (got the fiberglass shell on ebay and painted, pinstriped, fabricated the mounts, found the tail light, made the seat and side covers myself).

The plate on the back is an acronym for There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
charlie98210 is offline   Reply With Quote