Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #4126
fotosaccion
Looking for New Adventure

Oddometer: 87
So here it finally it's!! I received the sidecar from Hannigan the beginning of January. First off.... I can't say enough about Claude! He is AWESOME!! He was patient with all of my questions and put up with my frustrations on delivery beautifully! He helped over the phone with the install. It was pretty easy, I just had a few stumbling blocks. I'm planning a trip to visit him in Pennsylvania soon!

I guess let me start with what I have and what I did before I put on the sidecar. I will explain what works and what didn't for me.
2002 Vstrom DL1000
I am 200 pounds 5'9"
I sent my rear suspension to Jay at Sasquach suspensions to have him rebuilt and put in a heavier spring. I will find out what spring rate.
I upgraded my front suspension to Racetech 1.1kg springs and Racetech oil that I purchased from Jay.
I switched to a 530 chain and increased the rear sprocket to 45 and reduced the front to 16 tooth.
205/50 R17 rear car tire
Converted as many signals (turn and brake) to led to conserve power. (Vstrom power output sucks!!)
Givi 55L top case with Admore lighting kit
Signal Dynamics backoff, power meter and headlight flash modules
Hippo hands!! Awesome!
Givi 41L side cases with Admore lighting kits. I currently only use the right bag without lights. I also do not have the rear right blinker on the bike hooked up. Using the left box makes the setup too wide.
I am currently sill using the motorcycle battery. No external car battery yet. Power is good still.
Warm n Safe grip heaters

Hannigan Dual Sport model
Options I ordered:
Sway bar
Carpet
Cigarette lighter adapter
Cup holder
Soft top
Half size windshield
Steering damper
Color match
Electric camber

Claude was kind enough to upgrade the sub frame for me. The sub frame that Hannigan provides with their sidecars seemed to be a lot less than what I would have preferred. Again.... Claude is Amazing!! His sub frame is Incredible!

I will provide more pictures as to the crate and some install pictures later.

Now I want to speak of the options that after 2 months of driving, did and did not work for me. First off, I never needed a steering damper. Hannigan forgot to send it and i am very thankful for that.
Next, i took off the anti sway bar. It seemed to make my steering a lot more difficult in ordinary driving and made the car even more difficult when just going over speed bumps. I'm happier with it off all of the time. Granted, I do not have any steering modifications whatsoever on my Vstrom. No leading links or Steerite as of yet.
The other thing that I removed from my Vstrom were the Rox Risers that I had installed before. Having the handlebars attached at two points made the steering feel odd. My steering is a lot more solid now without the Rox risers.
Steering a Vstrom without a steering modification is doable. It is complicated though with the fact that the hydraulic clutch on the DL1000 is very stiff and is actuated so far from the grip. Cutting down the pin in the handle and shortening the clutch throw activation is a must. Down shifting a turning a side car outfit is hard when the clutch is activated with your fingers extended. I do recommend this.
I HIGHLY recommend the shorter windshield. It is great in everyday driving and in high winds. I do like the soft top. When it was cold here is Dallas, ever so briefly, it was nice having a passenger in the sidecar protected from cold, wind and rain.
I Love the electric camber adjust. I Highly recommend it. I will be getting a different switch for it that will mount on the handlebar soon so it is more accessible. I like that I can adjust the car based on road conditions or even cross winds which helps with the car tracking better. I have the Vstrom leaning out and by adjusting the camber, I can increase this. I originally set the Vstrom straight up and down with the camber at its mid travel and later decided to make the bike be leaning out slightly even and the lowest travel of the camber adjust and increase from there. It is very comfortable for me that way.
I will be adding a front bumper to the sidecar. It has existing locations for round tubing. I want to add some LED floodlights.

My setup: The toe-in I set it all up to originally is .5". I will be double checking this soon.
My setup tracks straight at speed.
The Vstrom in leaning out from the rig. I don't have a specific amount. I'll get that.

If anyone is near and would like to meet up and see my setup, let me know. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears! I am still considering a steering modification. The permanent grin on my face due to the sidecar is AWESOME!! I'm not sure I will ever take the sidecar off at this point.

Héctor
2002 DL1000 "Stella"

2002 Vstrom DL1000 "Stella"
fotosaccion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #4127
Ryushin Kan
kancho

Oddometer: 85
Great looking outfit! More photosssssssss

Héctor
2002 DL1000 "Stella"[/QUOTE]
Ryushin Kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #4128
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,408

Nicely done my friend!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #4129
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Hey fotosaccion

Hey fotosaccion, I live east of Dallas, in Greenville. I could sure use some guidance if you have some time. I am trying to dail in the aligment on my rig. I just put it together, and still have to wire it. That will be the next part of my project. I intend to decrease the toe in, it is 3/4" right now. If that doesnt work I might separate it and start over again. I feel that the attach hard points are correct. Since this is my first, I know that there is a learning curve to go thru.

I think I did a decent job on the set up for what I had to work with. I am open for suggestions.

I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #4130
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
The short ride was surely different than I have ever had on a bike.

That'd be because it's no longer a bike

You're going to be very proud of this, especially when it's 'finished'. (yes, ok. 'Finished', what is this 'finished' you talk about)

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #4131
fotosaccion
Looking for New Adventure

Oddometer: 87
I have more photos on another thread......

Thanks!! I am REALLY loving it!!!

2002 Vstrom DL1000 "Stella"
fotosaccion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #4132
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #4133
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
I can't read that, did they finish the rally?
I've monkey'd offroad hacks before. I can't imagine doing the Dakar. That guy must be the toughest guy on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #4134
Winterbiker
Sidecarist

Oddometer: 270
I don´t think so. As I know, there was only one combo finishing the Dakar, That was a Suzuki driven outfit with sidecar wheel drive by Team Roth.

Winterbiker

Blog: http://sidecar-team.over-blog.de/
Orient-Project: http://transitusarabiae.wordpress.com/
Winterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #4135
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbiker View Post
I don´t think so. As I know, there was only one combo finishing the Dakar, That was a Suzuki driven outfit with sidecar wheel drive by Team Roth.

Winterbiker
Pretty bad azz either way
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #4136
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:

Winterbiker
Do you have any pics of the one that did finish ? Details of the sidecar wheel drive , also.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #4137
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:

Winterbiker
Ton van Heugten and Frits Kiggen didn't finish with this TR1 combo in 1982. As far as i can find this was the only attempt they made.
There even is an Wiki page in English about Ton and Frits.
http://youtu.be/Qxuzo_KuEVc

According to the website, Ronny Renders from Belgium was the only sidecarrist to finish the Dakar within the given time.

halflive screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 11:52 AM
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #4138
dyingjohnnie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Suggested side car fabricators

Anybody wanna walk me through the process of procuring a side car for my 1997 yamaha virago 750?
dyingjohnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #4139
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I bought mine off of CL

Just start watching the sites and doing searches for sidecars.......it took me about a month til I found one that met my needs, and budget. So get to work now and start searching your area on craiglist, then widen out your search to surrounding cities too. I read alot of the builds on here so I would know what I was getting into. I am nowhere close to being an expert, but jump into the water and get wet is the only way to start. Just me saying what I think.

I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #4140
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,498
A Shed full of SIDECARS !!!!

Brendan J is online now   Reply With Quote