ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #841
PackRat
Huey Guns
 
PackRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Copper Canyon, Texas
Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
Strangely enough, you can start here! :
http://www.sidecartrials.com/..Not a lot of dedicated sites I think, although the "regular" trials sites also have some info...
Attachment 196281
Thanks, Doug - I did do some searching and found most of them - but not too much interest in the US trials clubs....maybe I'll build one for my trials bike for kicks.


.
__________________
"Packrat" IBA# 11205, AARP, ATP, CFI, A&P, USMC
__________________________________________
Rigor Mortis will be the first indication that I've grown up!!
Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #842
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer
 
roadholder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 2,406
Sidecar Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRat
Thanks, Doug - I did do some searching and found most of them - but not too much interest in the US trials clubs.
In North America I've only once seen a trials sidecar rig in action...at the USCRA vintage trials championship I competed in a few year back in New Hampshire.
It was pretty clear most other people had never seen one.

I heard one specatator watching from a distance saying " he's riding on the other guy's back"!

Name:  Fantic_Sidecar3.jpg
Views: 5299
Size:  142.2 KB

__________________
Doug

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #843
PackRat
Huey Guns
 
PackRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Copper Canyon, Texas
Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
In North America I've only once seen a trials sidecar rig in action...at the USCRA vintage trials championship I competed in a few year back in New Hampshire.
It was pretty clear most other people had never seen one.

I heard one specatator watching from a distance saying " he's riding on the other guy's back"!
Thanks Doug - I have a son that's half spider monkey anyway so that would be fun!


.
__________________
"Packrat" IBA# 11205, AARP, ATP, CFI, A&P, USMC
__________________________________________
Rigor Mortis will be the first indication that I've grown up!!
Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #844
rcgardner
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: ETN
Oddometer: 8
R100emlgt

1981 EML family touring rig. There are three other EML owners here in Knoxville.
Attached Images
 
rcgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #845
bill_powell
Adventurer
 
bill_powell's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dover, TN
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgardner
1981 EML family touring rig. There are three other EML owners here in Knoxville.
Now that's one fine looking outfit.

I'm up in Dover, BTW. Good to see another Tennessee rig. Mine (posted before, but Guzzis and BMWs share a bond, to my eye):

bill_powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #846
ickie
00 Ural Patrol
 
ickie's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl.
Oddometer: 50
Wicked

Ok Here Is My 2000 Ural Patrol, 650 cc

ickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #847
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan
 
Richard-NL's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 1,000
Maybe I should have opened a new thread, but I'm just too shy

I’ve noticed in this forum, when somebody is asking for a rig on a modern Beemer, the answer is: Ural. Nothing against the Ural, but:

I just don’t understand why.

There’s so much more available than just this rig, that has been quite the same for over the last sixty years or so and not only the looks are pretty much “ancient”.

Furthermore I’ve seen some rigs “glued” to a bike, in a way, it just makes me cry. Really. Even when done by so-called professional builders.

OK, I’ve understood by now, you guys want to screw it together yourselves. If that’s the idea :

The newest and most sold kit in Europe:

Just a suggestion: No welding or whatever, just a kit, you screw it together. Simple.

Proper sidecar-frame. Proper sub-frame. Proper steering-mod (if you want to). Proper car-wheel in the back (if you want to).

I will just show you some pics of the universal type, specially made for the 4-valve boxer BMW’s.

Here a GS (with some extra mods):



An plain R:



The rig itselve:



The factory (nosing around):



The frame on a Beemer but with another “Sidecar-one” Luggage-config:



On the last one you pretty good can see the frame. It works!

Richard-NL

Hate me now..........

Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #848
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois
 
eastbloc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,342
Urals are cheap, sturdy, and plentiful. Do you have any idea how much it would cost for some European sidecar kit, by the time we go done converting our pathetic currency and paying for shipping?

It would be great to have other options, especially some of the more exotic two wheel drive kits you've posted, but we're a declining empire and we have to live within our means.

I personally think the Ural matches the oilhead GS very well, and short of 2WD there's nothing wrong with the age of the design, especially if you update it with a modern wheel and disc brake.

Been posted before, but I think it's handsome enough to post again

eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #849
DirtyDR
Dana
 
DirtyDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Edwards,Colorado
Oddometer: 2,354
Don't forget that the Ural tub is all heavy gauge steel also. If you are going to do something besides a GS and don't want something quite so utilitarian then there are quite a few reasonable options around also.
__________________
06 Ural Patrol
03 R1150 GS Sport/ Friendship II
94 R1100RS
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #850
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas
 
TouringDave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Frankston, Vic, Aust.
Oddometer: 7,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
Maybe I should have opened a new thread, but I'm just too shy

I’ve noticed in this forum, when somebody is asking for a rig on a modern Beemer, the answer is: Ural. Nothing against the Ural, but:

I just don’t understand why.

There’s so much more available than just this rig, that has been quite the same for over the last sixty years or so and not only the looks are pretty much “ancient”.

Furthermore I’ve seen some rigs “glued” to a bike, in a way, it just makes me cry. Really. Even when done by so-called professional builders.

OK, I’ve understood by now, you guys want to screw it together yourselves. If that’s the idea :

The newest and most sold kit in Europe:

Just a suggestion: No welding or whatever, just a kit, you screw it together. Simple.

Proper sidecar-frame. Proper sub-frame. Proper steering-mod (if you want to). Proper car-wheel in the back (if you want to).

I will just show you some pics of the universal type, specially made for the 4-valve boxer BMW’s.

Here a GS (with some extra mods):
On the last one you pretty good can see the frame. It works!

Richard-NL

Hate me now..........

Richard, very, very nice chairs there. I particularly like the "camel trophy" GS (I'm a big Land Rover fan)
__________________
K7 Strom with Chair
84 Kwaka GT750 Cafe Project
84 Kawaka GT750 Outfit Project
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #851
krellheat
Pepsi Challenged
 
krellheat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Under the Overpass for I84 and I91 Ausfahrt
Oddometer: 2,094
Now for something completely different

Minibike with sidecar on Worcester Mass Craiglist




http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/860360077.html
__________________
Just remember, once you're over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.

Devil's advocate. Hell conscientious and informed and downright argumentative dissenter.
krellheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #852
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...
 
tony the tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
Oddometer: 9,987
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
Maybe I should have opened a new thread, but I'm just too shy

I’ve noticed in this forum, when somebody is asking for a rig on a modern Beemer, the answer is: Ural. Nothing against the Ural, but:

I just don’t understand why.

...
Richard-NL

Hate me now..........

Only because you get to see so many neat sleds!
Back to the Kali... I found one for sale here, in the states (Florida)... wish I had the dinero...
Quote:

Good running 1962 R60 BMW 98K miles with one of only two know Kali sidecars in the USA. Sidecar is German made in 1957.
__________________
Tony
Quote:
Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 5 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #853
kahlgryndiger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kahlgryndiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Mömbris, Germany
Oddometer: 124
@ Richard-NL ... why don't you show them your bike. Maybe some pictures during the TT rally or some with the GS in the mud

Andreas
kahlgryndiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #854
muschelschubser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
muschelschubser's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Kuddewörde
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlgryndiger
@ Richard-NL ... why don't you show them your bike. Maybe some pictures during the TT rally or some with the GS in the mud

Andreas
And where is yours?
__________________
Central East Tour
http://gespann.wordpress.com
The fastest way to yourself leads arround the world!
Richard Hoffmann (*1938 ),
muschelschubser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #855
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan
 
Richard-NL's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlgryndiger
@ Richard-NL ... why don't you show them your bike. Maybe some pictures during the TT rally or some with the GS in the mud

Andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by muschelschubser
and where is yours
Page 42-43 Andreas. And yes, where is yours? And yours, Dirk?

Richard-NL

Richard-NL screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 03:52 AM
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014