ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
NotJumbo OP
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 3
cutting up ural hack?

So I've searched around the ol' interwebs quite a bit looking for information about cutting up a ural sidecar. My problem is that I have 2 medium sized dogs (German Shorthair Pointers) and wanting to get both of them into a hack. However, a normal ural seating area is too small and only able to fit 1 dog.


I was wondering if anyone had possibly cut part of the sidecar to make it larger. The picture is kind of crappy quality, but I stole it off Google b/c I am at work. I am thinking of cutting where the black lines are. This is just my idea on trying to maximize the room as it will be used 95% for just the dogs.




Now, if anyone has cut/chopped/hacked away at a ural sidecar could you please chime in on how sturdy it is? I want to keep the rigidity the same and I am curious if I will have to brace it somehow. Also, if you have any tips and whether I should carry out cutting it up or not. Thanks.

NotJumbo screwed with this post 09-28-2014 at 12:50 PM
NotJumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
KansasKawboy
KK
 
KansasKawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Outside Kansas City
Oddometer: 774
Black font on grey back ground is unreadable.
__________________
Language created the word loneliness to express the pain of being alone,
and the word solitude to express the glory of it.
Raymond
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustKip's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJumbo View Post
So I've searched around the ol' interwebs quite a bit looking for information about cutting up a ural sidecar. My problem is that I have 2 medium sized dogs (German Shorthair Pointers) and wanting to get both of them into a hack. However, a normal ural seating area is too small and only able to fit 1 dog.

I was wondering if anyone had possibly cut part of the sidecar to make it larger. The picture is kind of crappy quality, but I stole it off Google b/c I am at work. I am thinking of cutting where the black lines are. This is just my idea on trying to maximize the room as it will be used 95% for just the dogs.

Now, if anyone has cut/chopped/hacked away at a ural sidecar could you please chime in on how sturdy it is? I want to keep the rigidity the same and I am curious if I will have to brace it somehow. Also, if you have any tips and whether I should carry out cutting it up or not. Thanks.

Fixt.

Inmate Ivan Rider made a "Stakeside Pickup" out of one, but left the bulkhead between the seat, and trunk/pickup bed area. I would assume it NEEDS support there, and with too long of an opening it would flex too much...I could be wrong.

Edit; here it is...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412759
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign
 
Hookalatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJumbo View Post
I was wondering if anyone had possibly cut part of the sidecar to make it larger.... just the dogs.
Now, if anyone has cut/chopped/hacked away at a ural sidecar could you please chime in on how sturdy it is? I want to keep the rigidity the same and I am curious if I will have to brace it somehow. Also, if you have any tips and whether I should carry out cutting it up or not. Thanks.
Boxermetal http://boxermetal.com/ has done this including especially for dogs. Chris participates in this forum and may see this thread.

Chucl
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
NotJumbo OP
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Fixt.

Inmate Ivan Rider made a "Stakeside Pickup" out of one, but left the bulkhead between the seat, and trunk/pickup bed area. I would assume it NEEDS support there, and with too long of an opening it would flex too much...I could be wrong.

Edit; here it is...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412759
I like that idea, but I am looking for it to be completely open very similar to the cargo hacks. But have a curved rounded front mainly bc it would be more difficult to find a cargo hack for sale. My main issue is if it will be sturdy enough with a good portion of the top cut out. Because there will be about 180lbs of dog riding in it. Also, sorry about the black font not really sure why it came up that way...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Boxermetal http://boxermetal.com/ has done this including especially for dogs. Chris participates in this forum and may see this thread.

Chucl
after looking at that site I found something very similar to what I'm thinking of doing. I like how he cut out the back and fabbed it up a box. He does have a roll bar and I'm curious if thats mainly for rider safety incase of a roll or supporting the box from just crumpling.




NotJumbo screwed with this post 09-28-2014 at 01:04 PM
NotJumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
marc beaudry
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 1
cutting up your Ural

i've seen double length chairs and double wide ones of different manufacture.
the other thing you can do is just take the whole tub off the frame and make a new 'tub' out of plywood - you end up with something built the way you would do it without need to work within the parameters of the Ural tub.
marc
marc beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer
 
Jim K in PA's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Pocono Mountains, PA
Oddometer: 776
Just get a Ural cargo box for the pups.

__________________
Jim K in PA
1979 BMW R100T - Otto - Returned to the road - 5/12/11
1975 BMW R90S Hack - Olga - Olga's story - adopted 3/22/14
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large
 
Bobmws's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Same trailer, different park, FL
Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post
Just get a Ural cargo box for the pups.

There is one if these for sale here.
__________________
Bob Weis 04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Photo's: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w464/Bobmws/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,803
Transmoto sells a Ural type tub with the rear portion hinged to open backwards and has seating for two. Must not have issues or they wouldn't offer it. You could do the same.



http://www.trans-moto.com/bimmer-m-103-s_a.html
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 09-30-2014 at 06:08 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Pastaman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Montreal (Canada)
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Transmoto sells a Ural type tub with the rear portion hinged to open backwards and has seating for two. Must not have issues or they wouldn't offer it. You could do the same.



http://www.trans-moto.com/bimmer-m-103-s_a.html
Little precision, it is not a Ural type, it is an Inder (made in India), way less solid and thiner steel compared to Ural or Dnepr chair.

I have the one seat model (M102S) on my Scrambler and I wouldn't start cutting this chair. TM even installs a plywood plank to make the floor more "solid"

Pastaman screwed with this post 09-30-2014 at 08:47 PM
Pastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #11
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,803
OK but the point wasn't to cut up the Inder or not but to cut up the Ural and end up with something similar to the Inder.
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
Pastaman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Montreal (Canada)
Oddometer: 51
OK got it
Pastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
usgser
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Westside WA
Oddometer: 2,045
I'm no fabricator but adding steel tubing to the edges as on the Inder, I think would go a long ways toward stiffening up any flex in the sheet metal. Besides making it more rigid it sure cleans up the look.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SwampFox883R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Summer Grove, LA USA
Oddometer: 343
Rather than cutting up a good sidecar tub, I'd check into making a tub out of wood similar to CleatusJ: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954925 or consider an round end "oval" livestock water trough as VLAD has mounted (can't locate a pic tho) - he even has a tonneau cover made to fit.
__________________
Lee - Maddie's Chauffer
KLX250S + TW200
R1100GS w/CSM Sidecar
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014