Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #61
exhaust_nut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Wondering about big dogs- do you guys remove the seat bottom, or do the dogs sit with their butts on the seat with theri front feet on the floor?[/quote]

The seat pad is out and a dog bed is in.
Attached Images

exhaust_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #62
exhaust_nut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Nuther view.
Attached Images

exhaust_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #63
chalice29
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wink Trip to the 500 Speedway

Shaybo is already for a lap around the Indianapolis 500 Track.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #64
PackMule OP
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
PackBaby's still lovin' these -- keep 'em coming!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #65
Slammin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
How about 3-Up with Pups?

I'm lovin' this. A current goal of mine is to find a rig that will accommodate me and TWO lab retrievers, both around 80 lbs. Will the Ural hold them with reasonable comfort if I take the seats out? Any other ideas? Thanks from me, Cody and Diva.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #66
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
I'm lovin' this. A current goal of mine is to find a rig that will accommodate me and TWO lab retrievers, both around 80 lbs. Will the Ural hold them with reasonable comfort if I take the seats out? Any other ideas? Thanks from me, Cody and Diva.
A Ural would work, but a Cargo box if you can find one, might work better. Both Ural and Sputnik have made cargo boxes that would do nicely. Check Dauntless and your favorite Ural dealers to see if there are any around, or go to Russian Iron or the IMWA Ural chat forum and post a want ad
Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #67
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
I dont know 2 dogs at 80 lbs each might be a bit crowded. I have no doubt the car could take it but the dogs might feel a bit cramped, even with the saet pad out. I 2nd the cargo box idea or make your own car to fit the Ural frame. I now it is a bit cramped for Elvis by herself, another dog would be interesting to say the least.

Growing older every day but never growing up.
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #68
antsaint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
I hear ya, Slammin. Jodie and I are waiting to see if she and our 45-lb. mutt will both fit in the hack. Just waiting for that call from Jim that the rig is on its way...

What do you think, lads - will a slender hottie and an even slenderer pooch fit in the tub all right?
Antsaint - Food, the Web, Writing & Eugene, Oregon
http://www.antsaint.com/
antsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #69
Prizrak
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 74
Two Dogs in Ural

It can be done, but it'll be a tight fit for two 80-pounders. I have one myself, and the other is a 40-lb Hound; Lab in front; Hound in trunk. Trunk lid is reinforced with brace and locked open when we're 3-up. I stay on city streets only until I can install quick-release hinges for the lid so that I can just remove, vs. straining the existing hinges.

Front seat was removed and a piece of thick MDF was upholstered and mounted on the floorboard. Eye-bolt was mounted in middle and the Lab has a chest harness which is latched to the eye bolt. He isn't going anywhere exept to lay down on long rides.

If you want to keep the exising tub and forego the cargo route (a very good idea, if you have the $$$), you could probably have the cross-brace (behind the passenger backrest) fabricated to be a snap-lock type, so you can easily remove/replace (along with the trunk lid with quick-release hinge) whenever you're going 3-up. That might give you room length-wise, allthough it would still be tight laterally. It will always be one dog in front, one behind. Some sort of horizontal bracing would still need to be fabricated in place of the existing brace, as the sidewalls would be far too flimsy and full of vibration at speed. Again, if you had a snap-in brace fabricated, you could have an arcing brace created you could interchange, which would allow headroom for the pups.

After speaking with a Machinist and bike builder at length on the subject, we know it can be done...but I opted for getting a smaller #2 dog instead.

3-Up Photo here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=23
Prizrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #70
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by antsaint
I hear ya, Slammin. Jodie and I are waiting to see if she and our 45-lb. mutt will both fit in the hack. Just waiting for that call from Jim that the rig is on its way...

What do you think, lads - will a slender hottie and an even slenderer pooch fit in the tub all right?
Need pics of slender hottie..

You know for measuring and stuff!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #71
ThruxCapacitor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Joy ride

Not exactly a pup...

...the GF's piece of shitzu.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #72
JohnBG
Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by antsaint
No, only one bitch per hack... (just kidding)

Can the dog sit in her lap? The most I've been able to squeeze in mine is two small kids. The tub aint all that wide.

'98.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" (the blonde)
'06 Ural Raven 750 2WD - "Vorona" (the brunette)

Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Collective Forums
An independent site for Ural/Dnepr Enthusiasts
Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums
Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries
JohnBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #73
Slammin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
3-Up with Pups

The cargo box looks like it just might work, though the Ural web site says it weighs 227 lbs. With dogs, we'd be close to 400 lbs. I might just go in circles with that much drag. Amazingly, Ural doesn't show the dimensions of the box in their specs. I'm also guessing it's made of steel. I like the idea of fabbing my own box on a frame. Could save some weight if I made it out of fiberglass or aluminum. Thanks, all, for your responses.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #74
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
The cargo box looks like it just might work, though the Ural web site says it weighs 227 lbs. With dogs, we'd be close to 400 lbs. I might just go in circles with that much drag. Amazingly, Ural doesn't show the dimensions of the box in their specs. I'm also guessing it's made of steel. I like the idea of fabbing my own box on a frame. Could save some weight if I made it out of fiberglass or aluminum. Thanks, all, for your responses.
Lonnie at Nortwest Sidecars in Boise, Idaho (http://www.sidecar-industry.com/nwest/default.htm) had a Ural frame with an alloy toolbox for a full-sized pickup mounted to it. Made a very decent, light package at about 220 pounds, and it surely was easy to put together...

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #75
antsaint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr
Need pics of slender hottie..

You know for measuring and stuff!
LOL! I shoulda known that was coming. 1 slender hottie, coming right up - here she is on Christmas morning, in the Tourmaster jacket I got for her. I'm thinking she and Ella can both fit in the hack but I guess we'll find out for sure this weekend!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1202794706
Attached Images

Antsaint - Food, the Web, Writing & Eugene, Oregon
http://www.antsaint.com/
antsaint is offline   Reply With Quote