ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #481
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
It looks like everything is moving through faster than forecast down here anyway...Again, any locals have an opinion?

I'll keep checking to see if this system is going "wrap back around" and hit the "back side" of the mtns from the NW again........if it looks bad for this route, maybe we can head over your way and ride Worlds Edge or something if the weather looks better in that direction...what do you guys think about that?
Keep checking.
Our forecast is about the same and it looks like the wind will be out of the NW.
The worst part might be out on the open road. W/O destruction like in the pics it might work. I plan to be out the driveway by 7:30, check the screen.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #482
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Keep checking.
Our forecast is about the same and it looks like the wind will be out of the NW.
The worst part might be out on the open road. W/O destruction like in the pics it might work. I plan to be out the driveway by 7:30, check the screen.
I'm still hoping that this system will pass through overnight. I'll check the weather in the AM and make a call then.

I still hope to get out and ride.....just might need to change my route.

I'll post up my plans here in the AM.....right now it may be just me and you for the before 4:15 crowd.... Check your PMs for my phone #
Old 05-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #483
Sneaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaBoy
Here's Sneaker discussing fashion tips and bragging about his great deal on a new XR with EatPharmD

Awwww... Sheessh!!! I knew this was going to end up on here.

First thing I said to Salsaboy when asked to go ride is, 'I don't have any dirt gear,' to which he says, 'come on anyway'. My last words before hanging up the phone, 'OK, but you FF better not laugh!'

I was digg'n PharmD's armored jersey though so 'fashion tips' isn't too far off.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #484
knybanjo
kinda slow

Good morning,
The weather is looking good down here, but I just heard driller has a tree down in his yard.

Since it looks like I'm the lone rider now I think I'll be heading south where there is forecast to be less wind.

If anybody wants to head south and check out EnoreeOHV and possibly beyond.....POST UP .... I'll be here for another hour or so......

The rain seems to have lifted.........
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #485
knybanjo
kinda slow

My 7 mile ride report.

Yep that's right, 7 miles from the house and the bike quits. At least I had some company while waiting for the truck.

If I had to break down it was a very good time and place to do so...near the house, on the street and my wife was at home to come rescue me.

The problem appears to be the stator ....again. Except this time instead of a break in the windings it looks to be a short circuit.

I guess it's also a good thing nobody had to stand around and wait for me just to no-show.

Well, I also guess it's time to go take it apart.......
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #486
huffman

Oddometer: 312
You tell the spouse it's time for a BRAND NEW ride! By golly you if anyone out there deserves a new one. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #487
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffman
You tell the spouse it's time for a BRAND NEW ride! By golly you if anyone out there deserves a new one. Good luck!

Sounds good to me!!

Hey, She just went to work at the National Whitewater Center last week too.....I'll tell her it's your idea...maybe she'll go for it.

BTW...to follow the ongoing saga of this bike's "homemade" ignition CLICK HERE
Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #488
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,907
Kevin, that is most egregious.

Caney Fork on Saturday

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340947
Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #489
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
Kevin, that is most egregious.

Caney Fork on Saturday

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340947
I'm sure glad that I didn't break down out there by Dills Falls......all by my lonesome a couple weeks ago.

I really, really want to explore more of that area. When are you going back?

Just because the 650 is out of commission doesn't mean I can't go........I can try to "sneak" my wife's 250 out the back....I'll tell her that I'm going for a street ride and she'll hear the 'ol Yamaha fire up and never think twice.

Seriuosly, I want to ride out there sometime this summer. Phil, will you be off during the week this summer? It looks like I may have to work weekends all summer and have days off mid week....I'll find out this Thursday.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #490
huffman

Quote:
The problem appears to be the stator ....again. Except this time instead of a break in the windings it looks to be a short circuit.
Just curious - hold old is your battery? I read a tech Q&A a while back where someone was having the same type of issues. Seems he had an older battery and the battery charger was masking the fact it was going bad causing the charging system to fry from overworking. If I can find it I'll send it along.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #491
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Just curious - hold old is your battery? I read a tech Q&A a while back where someone was having the same type of issues. Seems he had an older battery and the battery charger was masking the fact it was going bad causing the charging system to fry from overworking. If I can find it I'll send it along.
Thanks, please do.

But I believe it probably refers to the wrong part of the stator.

My charging coils test fine...it's the ignition coil that's bad. (separate windings...magneto ignition)
It's the same one I rewound myself last Dec.....chalk it up to amateur mistakes. There are a few things that I thought that I would do differently if I ever did it again....so it looks like I've got my chance.

If it fries a 3rd time I'll (probably) send it out to the pros.

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-12-2008 at 06:21 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #492
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:

Seriuosly, I want to ride out there sometime this summer. Phil, will you be off during the week this summer? It looks like I may have to work weekends all summer and have days off mid week....I'll find out this Thursday.

Will I be off weekdays in the summer? Yes. Go to Caney Fork? Twist my arm.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #493
huffman

Old battery & charging system

Yo knybanjo, I found the Q&A in question. This has been edited down - originally written up in Rider magazine.

Q. I have a 1999 Suzuki SV650 bought new I keep on a battery tender and it has lasted to the present. I keep asking the dealers "when do I buy a new battery?" and they asked if I'm having problems and I answered no or I would have bought one. On the last day of a ride the turn signals quit then the tach & speedo, then the whole bike. Hauled it back to the shop and the prognosis was everything was gone - the battery, rectifier assembly/voltage regulator, even the stator was burned out.

A. The failure flow chart would go something like this: internal resistance builds up due to something like sulfication, regulator/rectifier assembly fails trying to force feed the battery; stator fails as heat build-up breaks down the coil insulation. Catastrophic charging system failures are rare now but used to be common with Suzuki's. We learned the hard way by replacing, say, a regulator/rectifier assembly to cure a low charging rate problem, only to have the bike come back a week later with a bad stator and regulator/rectifier. The stator checked out OK initially, but had been compromised by the failed reg/rec. The the weak stator would fail a little later and take the new reg/rec with it. .... I have a bike in the shop right now with a 5 year old battery that load tests OK, but it's getting a new battery as cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM   #494
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Yo knybanjo, I found the Q&A in question. This has been edited down - originally written up in Rider magazine.
Thanks, but yeah they're talking about the charging system.....my problem is with the ignition system.most of your newer bikes don't have an ignition stator, but they do have a charging stator, mine has both so it can be confusing to just say stator....I should probably just refer to it as a magneto ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
Will I be off weekdays in the summer? Yes. Go to Caney Fork? Twist my arm.

Sounds great!

I'll bring a rope just in case you need to tow me back out to civilization.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #495
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,703
Is anyone riding up from Hickory, to the Rallye's this weekend??

There is the HotSprings ER, and the Tellico KLR this weekend..

I'd like to ride those areas, but not stay overnight...
anyone s

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote