ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #1396
Jeteye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Gonna post them, or just talk about it ?

I am skeered!!!!!
Jeteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #1397
mctaggert
Full Retard

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer13
Were you the guy wearing the 'Stitch Roadcrafter suit? We were trying to figure out who that was and what he was riding. You are more than welcome to join us next time.
That was me. The bike's an '82 Yamaha XT550 that belongs to a buddy of mine. After the ride yesterday, I've decided I'm going to buy the thing or some other dual sport bike. I had an absolute blast.

I was going to try to meet up with you guys on Sunday, but was out too late on Saturday night. I've subscribed so hopefully I can get in on the next ride.
mctaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #1398
XRsquared
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
That was a blast. It was nice to meet all you guys and gal. I appreciate you letting me draft on you - when I could stay close enough.
That was my second dual sport but by far the most fun - much better than trying to see how many miles you can ride in a day.
I think the most difficult section was Blowing Rock and trying to find somewhere to eat. We'll have to try Canyons when the leaves are not in full color.
I had so much fun I really hate I cannot make the Fuzzy Beaver - but I'll keep an eye out for the next ride.
Kevin thanks for the pictures. I really enjoy looking at them though I'm not into taking them. I appreciate your efforts.

Mark (Rocketman) XR400
XRsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #1399
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Yeah, sorry we didn't stop mctaggert. We (more like I) was already a bit behind schedule so I was trying to get out of there before dark. Please feel free to join us next time.

And finally a couple vids...

&nbsp
&nbsp

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1400
Red F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:

It's nice to see Todd's store again. I used to eat lunch there a lot when I used to live and work over at Leatherwood Mtns. I loved the player piano they had in the back.

Oh, and did anybody try the hill climbs on Richlands/Penley Rd.? I was through there this summer, but didn't even think about it on the KLR. In high school that was some of our best 4 wheeling.

www.redfstudios.com
Red F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #1401
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red F
Oh, and did anybody try the hill climbs on Richlands/Penley Rd.?
Funny you should ask... We did have 2 brave souls...

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp

We even had one mud slinger try to run off the mountain

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #1402
navycoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Wow Kevin! You are the new Japanese tourist. Great job!

Looks like you figured out the embed video thing too. I have no idea how that works. I use a separate software for making my entries and somehow it embeds them for me. Before, it would link out to youtube off the page like you said.

Was the Transalp the one with the racks you bought? Is he running a non Givi box : ) on a Givi rack? I couldn't tell from the pics.

I'm a little confused about people's different screen names here. Is there another guy named Mark who has a screen name Rocketman? If so, that's really wild.

That was a pretty good clip. I'm way slower than that!
navycoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #1403
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycoat

Looks like you figured out the embed video thing too. I have no idea how that works. I use a separate software for making my entries and somehow it embeds them for me. Before, it would link out to youtube off the page like you said.

Was the Transalp the one with the racks you bought? Is he running a non Givi box : ) on a Givi rack? I couldn't tell from the pics.

I'm a little confused about people's different screen names here. Is there another guy named Mark who has a screen name Rocketman? If so, that's really wild.

Yeah, I guess I got designated as the photographer on this run. Didn't mind though, I like taking pics anyway. I cheated on the YouTube vids. I actually took one of your vids you had posted somewhere and looked at the embedding code and figured out what mine was missing in order to post like that. Not sure why but when I copy & paste the embed info straight from YouTube it's missing a bit of programming code to make it show up right.

That was in fact the Transalp I ordered the Givi items for. Fortunately he didn't break that new windscreen, but he didn't have time to get his engine guards on so that may or may not have saved his fairing from being scratched & also cracked the tabs where it mounts. Nothing a few zip ties couldn't fix to get it home though. Not sure about his box and rack. Didn't really pay much attention to it. If I'm not mistaken I think that is the original Honda accessory rack from way back in the day though. All I know is that it worked really well when we attached Tim's rope to it to drag it back out of the woods.

And yeah, we did have another 'rocketman' named Mark in our midst. How's that for coincidental?
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #1404
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com
All in all I think we only collected:

1 scratched faceshield
1 cracked fork boot
1 cracked/scraped fairing
1 flat tire
possibly 1 'non-waterproof' GPS
almost 1 gold buick for a hood ornament
Lots of laughs & smiles!

Did I miss anything guys?
Just took the patient (non-waterproof GPS) off the operating table - she's alive and kickin'!!

Had a great time, especially making a fool of myself w/ David on the hill climbs! Y'all need to set down the cameras n' step up next time, kids...

'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #1405
XRsquared
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Yeah, that's me - another rocketman. So I take it you have a rocketman friend named Mark. Interesting that you brought that up, I've been seriously thinking about changing. I've been a rocketman since I started with forums in '99 but now with every new forum I need some new derivation. One of these days rocketman is blast off and come back with something a little more unique.

Anyway I hate I was not able to meet you along with the other cast of characters on Sunday. You were actually blamed for some of our mishaps. Something along the line of Caroleen is not here so someone had to take her place. Or, Caroleen, our good luck charm is not here. I'll let you take your pick.

I look forward to meeting you in my next life.
XRsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #1406
Red F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Ah, yes.... The Richlands mud.....It claimed my fairing last thanksgiving.

I made it through the first time fine, but when we got to the end (321 side) we decided to go back through instead of taking the highway back. Pretending that a KLR, with mainly road tires on it (not sure what kind), can keep up with a Yamaha 250 with knobbies is a bad idea. I was holding my own pretty well on the rock, but I caught and slid on a root beside some mud. It was a tight curve so I was going about 10 mph. Still need to find a red, right fairing and some engine guards.

www.redfstudios.com
Red F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #1407
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_pilot
Yeah, that's me - another rocketman. So I take it you have a rocketman friend named Mark.
Yeah, we have another buddy named Mark on carolinariders.com that is Rocketman1098. He's a nice guy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red F
Still need to find a red, right fairing and some engine guards.
PM Sent
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #1408
5StarWonder
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:

Kevin's clips are great! I missed meeting you ... these guys kicked my newbie butt ... it was awesome to see them ride ... when I could catch them!! It was GREAT fun ... even the gravel face plant ... how can you learn to stay on a bike if you don't know how to fall off??? I was pushin' my speed a bit too much! Injuries fading from purple to green 5 hours of riding has been my max so far, so am working on that side of it too. Love my little XT

03 BMW F650 GS 'beemer baby' aka the Billy-Goat, she takes me where I wanna go
[/COLOR]
5StarWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #1409
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Some more vids and pics.

FS Road 192:

Waitin' at church

Bottom of FS 192

Nice cage

MUCH too fine of dining for us We're bringing neckties to wear over the jerseys next time. They did let us eat there - great food!

On BRP:

Ride down!

Again, had a great time - wish I'd stopped to snag some more foliage pics - the leaves were really poppin'.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #1410
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
wish I'd stopped to snag some more foliage pics - the leaves were really poppin'.
I thought the same thing but it was fun blasting around most of the day. I don't think I've got a shutter speed on my camera that would've taken any good pics as fast as we were running most of the day anyway!

Glad somebody got a pic of us dragging the TA out of the woods too.
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633

06 DRZ400S (Blue)