User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
dawid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The IT465 and IT490 thread

Please share your pictures, knowledge and experience here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1205213033
Attached Images

dawid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
dawid OP
Adventurer

This is my IT490 that I bought for USD500 last weekend, some pics.

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
dawid OP
Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
dawid OP
Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Nice Project

I am watching carefully and learning,

As I get something really photo-worthy done on IT465s, I will post photos. Not too exciting to watch jellied gas be removed from carbs and petcocks or the same hardened goo washed out of gas tanks and brake parts arriving from eBay.

Thanks for starting this thread.

PS I have 4 IT465s in the garage: 2 good bikes running or near to running and 2 parts bikes as donors for spare parts (they take up room but it was cheaper to buy an entire donor bike for a gas tank and straight wheels than it was to buy the parts).

On your 490: the bike in the first photo has the IT front headlight and taillight, yours does not. Are you going to add the lights or just keep it dark?
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,645
I bought a 1982 465 IT right here on advrider last June. all spruced up and ready to go.

I wish I had somewhere to ride it....

http://nachtflug.smugmug.com/yamaha
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
dawid OP
Adventurer

Rundown of this bike's condition when I got it:
-Tyres still good, back rim has had a big knock and the front wheel is missing a spoke.
-Brakes seems good but needs some cleaning and adjusting, haven’t checked the shoes and bearings yet.
-The airbox has been modified so many times it is practically made of fiberglass and silicone, will have to replace it.
-The rear shock is shot the shaft has damage on it and a metal paste is leaking out, it’s dead. Any ideas on a replacement? Ohlins ?
-Forks seems good no damage or leaking.
-Electrical system looks as good as can be expected.
-Opening the engine surprised me, the top end looks good although a bit worn. Sadly 2 of the 6 head bolts had been striped and rethreaded and is now striped a again, any ideas on how to fix this?
-The clutch looks good, except for the clutch cable arm that just pulls out of the engine without anything keeping it in place.
- the flywheel doesn’t look bad either, they normal get abused with a hammer by some idiot.
- Exhaust looks ok except for one dent, strange little silencer.

The guy who sold me the bike kicked him self into a frantic sweat and all the bike did was go “BAHH”, I later realized that he never opened the gas. This gave me some great leverage for a reduction in his asking price, that and the fact that his wife wanted it gone. From looking at it, it is clear that the last owner knew what he was doing I couldn’t find even one damaged bolt or nut on the bike.

I have completely disassembled it and will try to rebuild the bike to a standard condition over the next couple of months. Afterwards I will try and get it into a roadworthy condition again.

Once it has settled in there are some modifications I will do:
- Better front end with disc brakes, wonder if a WR front end will fit?
- Change the rear wheel and get one with a disc, will have to get a second swing arm and modify it.
- Put a very large fuel tank on, wonder if a Aqualine Safari tank could fit with some bracket modifications ?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Flug, that is one kickass photo collection.

Thanks for the 465 and 490 views.

I thought you were going to ride the IT465 when you teach a vintage Enduro riding class this summer? Could we make that a rumor? [I could bring a bike or two or three and maim a few n00bs.]

Oh, and thanks for the kind loan of the IT465 stuff.

Now for something completely different: my rustiest, ugliest '81 IT465 parts bike. There will be no after picture.

Cordless screwed with this post 03-11-2008 at 04:17 PM
Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
Mmm this is gonna be a good one
Old 03-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallerman
I thought you were going to ride the IT465 when you teach a vintage Enduro riding class this summer?

emmm...that was a...joke..

but I'll ride with anyone who's got a field and a tree to park the car under. I MIGHT enter a MX on April 20th. That would be a nice way to get familiar with the bike. Push it up to the starting line of a MX.

but in the over 50 class I think I can expect a little common courtesy in the first turn.

if I make it that far....
Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawid
-The airbox has been modified so many times it is practically made of fiberglass and silicone, will have to replace it.

don't know about shipping but here is an airbox on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawid
- Better front end with disc brakes, wonder if a WR front end will fit?
don't know about years for discs but one of the mods you see most of the 465's for sale on Ebay is that they have a 490 front end on them, if they've been changed.

looks like as early as 1985 they had a disc on the 490.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Heck.

I am in the over 50 class (51 tomorrow).

Courtesy in the first corner? I'd settle for a lesson in how to start these Jezebels in 10 kicks or fewer. Makes the starting line a bit more exciting when the bike is running,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
emmm...that was a...joke..

but I'll ride with anyone who's got a field and a tree to park the car under. I MIGHT enter a MX on April 20th. That would be a nice way to get familiar with the bike. Push it up to the starting line of a MX.

but in the over 50 class I think I can expect a little common courtesy in the first turn.

if I make it that far....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #14
dawid OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the links Flug, great photo collection I got some useful engine photos. Sadly the airbox won't fit a 490, but I will keep watching ebay. That is the most beautiful YZ490 I will ever see, thanks for the pic.

I'm going to the bike scrap yard soon and will keep an eye out for some YZ front ends.

After finally getting the barrel removed yesterday I noticed some engine oil at the bottom of the crankcase, guess the crank seals and bearings need replacing ?

Happy birthday Tallerman .

If anyone wants a IT490 parts catalog or Service Manual just ask me, can email them.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
ive owned many bikes in my time on this planet ..cant believe there is a mention of the IT400/425/490..i grew up on these machines in the early 80s my first was a 1977 IT400..i once rode it when -the throttle stuck -open..WTF!! as a 17yr old freak,i did what you would do..put my leg down[drag] to slow it down!![it worked]i also had an IT 425 and rode it on MX tracks and into many miles up logging roads and it was a tank but got me home ..carried extra plugs in the backbag-always needed..best memory was being on the back of a IT400,riding at night while my crazy friend rode along the sawdust trail[at night]in BBY,along the freeway..passing cars at one point!!i was barely hanging on and i thought i was gonna die!!GOD that was awesome!! when i bought my06 KLR650,it reminded me of the IT, but it wasnt as much fun............................................... ..........

zokalr13 screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 04:02 PM
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote