Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
bikerviking OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
beta techno rebuild + some basic 2 stroke info needed.

hi.

i have a 1996 beta techno 200 that i use for trials. I am brand new to trials and have been away from 2 strokes for about 15 years. I was riding one day and someone said ooohh your top end is a little noisy.

so now i have become fixated by the noises the engine makes. joy.

So, i have put a solid extension on the cylinder and had a listen and there is a tapping / knocking. nothing when i listen from the crank side, there is also no vibration through the footpegs. There is a decent amount of compression although i havent tested it with a gauge so i cant provide a number, when riding down a vicious slope i cannot bump it in 2nd gear it locks the wheel so its not really low.

i can get new pistons for this bike really easily, if the bore isnt round anymore or outside of specs (or trashed) then its off to get a new nikasil coating and honing. thats the easy bit, anything more and i am out of my comfort zone really.

I cannot get a new con rod for it, if i strip it and the big end has any up and down play can i use the old con rod with new bearings? the bike is nearly 20 years old, i have no idea what work has been done before but it has got me thinking about bikes where spares arent readily availiable anymore.

last one for now, there is no service manual for the beta 200, any ideas what torque settings i need for cylinder and head?

cheers all.
bikerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Trials bikes have low gearing and heavy flywheels so it'd have to be really low compression before it would bump start in 2nd.

before you tear it apart you might have someone who is familiar with the brand listen to it. Might be normal.
I had a '96 250 Techno and while it was quieter than air cooled trials bikes there are still engine noises. Sometimes
you hear more mechanical noise because the exhaust is quiet.

You can remove the ignition cover and wiggle the end of the crank. If you feel a click then the main bearing on that side needs replacing.

In the US you can get parts from the Tryals Shop.
They should be able to tell you the torque values too. Or ask on the adv trials forum.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
It's a trials bike not an enduro pistons really last very long also the cylindercoating. As long as the performs well, leave the engine as it is.

Even in Europe part availability for older Betas is difficult.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 778
If you want a shop manual with torque specs. Go to the Beta site and download the Evo 2T manual. It's basically the same engine with a newer carb.

I would not recommend putting any money into a Techno. Sell it while it's still running and get a newer one.

BTW.. the sound could just be from low octane fuel. The guy I got my Techno from said to always run 50/50 pump gas and racing fuel. I have followed this on all my Beta Trials bikes.
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote