User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Scary Mc OP
hellgrammite

Oddometer: 3,709
Favorite Baja Campsites?

I'll be doing a coastal trip around Baja with a buddy starting mid-Feb and would like to here about or get locations to your favorite campsites. Pics would be great too...
Beach front palapas, etc...

Thanks,

Scary
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Scorpion Bay.
That's where Jesus watches the sunrise.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Pretty much anywhere on the Sea of Cortez from San Felipe to Cabo Pulmo will afford you epic sunrises, and likewise, anywhere from Todos Santos north along the Pacific will give epic sunsets. Scorpion Bay, like LR suggests, is a fantastic place to go, as long as the ocean is flat. Surfers sometimes over run the place and make it hard to find room around town.

Perhaps some of the coolest of the cool ones I've ever seen have been out at the tip of the Vizcaino Peninsula and along the southern shore (La Bocana, San Hippolito, Bahia Asuncion, etc).

It's hard to go wrong in Baja.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Scary Mc OP
hellgrammite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
It's hard to go wrong in Baja.
Good to know, I've been all over the mainland, but never to Baja. Thanks for the info.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Bahia de Conception will blow your smelly socks off...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Mc
Good to know, I've been all over the mainland, but never to Baja. Thanks for the info.
Scary - just like the mainland, ride like the wind away from the border. IMVHO, Baja really starts at El Rosario on the west and Bahia Gonzaga on the east. Above that is just too close to the USA.

I'm not sure what is happening in San Francisquito. When I trapsed through there last February, the owner has just died a couple days earlier, and no one seemed to know what was in the future. Anyway, that was one of my favorite places to hang my helmet in a cabana, swill back a few beers and catch an awesome sunrise. It's remote enough to be pretty cool, although a tad pricey (supply and demand).

If you do a search, I have a thread that I started a few months back called the best of...the worst of Baja...I need to add to it, but I've gone into some detail on the northern parts of Baja, and will be adding in the southern parts soon.

Hair of the dog....
Old 12-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Bahia de Conception will blow your smelly socks off...

Es la verdad.

Hair of the dog....
Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Scary Mc OP
hellgrammite

I wish my 800GS would get here before I leave... Not gonna happen though.

I'm super stoked. A good buddy of mine that has never done a tour before will be with my on his DR650. It will be a good time.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
loeky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
You absolutely must stop at Bay of Gonzaga, near Alfonsina's - all of which is on the Sea of Cortez side and below Puertecitos.

We also hung for a few days in Bay of LA - again, a beautiful place.

I can't speak to the people that had bad experiences, but me and the wife did this trip in May of this year and had a great time w/ no problems.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
anywhere south of san felipe or ensenada .i usually leave my van in club depesca camp ground in san felipe and ride from there.my bike isnt street legal-but in baja they dont care.anywhere on sea of cortez -the sunrise cant be missed.i am very low tech.
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Mc
It will be a good time.

Don't be afraid to follow your nose. Some of the best spots in Baja are down a wash that might or might not have a road. If you're camping and are willing to ride on sand and sand wash, you have the freedom to go to some great spots that most speed right by.

And, as usual, Lone Rider is dead nuts with the recommendation of Bahia De Conception, head out on the peninsula that forms the other side. There's no one there, and it has some awesome spots and amazing petroglyphs if you take the time to find them.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,968
Bump for Scary & because I'm planning a similar trip in late November.

Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
I'll bump for some updates. I might be down there in October.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
I'll bump for some updates. I might be down there in October.
As Gaspipe mentioned, anywhere in Baja you can't go wrong.

I was impressed by everything with exception of Cabo. Also Ciudad Constitucion. Fill gas and get out of there. Not much to see or do there. Plus it's a long boring ride down the highway back to the coast.

I might be doing it again this fall. There are a few things I'd do again for sure, and some other things I'd try to experience.

1) See more missionaries. We had to skip them for time delays
2) Try to see the whales, but I will be going through too early I think.
3) Swing over to San Fransico since we skipped it last time.
4) Maybe hit up Mikes Sky Ranch when it's not a snow storm, 6" of snow, arrive at midnight, and be the only ones there and have oil heaters that didn't work... A ride I will never forget... "The loco Canadians..."
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,973
Campo Beluga is a nice developed camping alternative to Alphonsinas at Gonzaga. Jesus has been known to watch the sunrise there as well.

http://wikimapia.org/10194016/Campo-Beluga

If youre properly off-road (sand wash, desert mountian single track, etc), you will have virtually unlimited excellent camping spots. Most folks just blow right through them.

Bahia Concepcion is epic, but not deserted in the winter. The Vizcaino Peninsula is a remote part of Baja that has a special beauty about it as well.

Dont be afraid to explore for some proper bush camping.

Whatever you do, I dont recommend any camping on some places of the Pacific coast of northern Baja unless you are in a developed camping area like Punta San Jose or Cuatro Casas. Although you may think you are in the middle of nowhere, Mex 1 and some larger towns like Colonet, Camalu, Vicente Guerrero, are very close to those beaches which have historically had a crime problem. Once you get south of there, things are more mellow.

For example, about 10 years ago myself and a buddy were surfing near Camalu. We parked the truck right on the shoreline and went out for a surf. While out in the surf, we see 2 guys ride up to our truck on horseback. They look at us and one guy points his rifle up in the air and fires off a couple of rounds. Then they proceed to open up our truck and steal everything inside. After about 5 minutes, they get back on their horses, fire a couple more rounds into the air, and gallop off into the bush. My buddy then turns to me and says, "Now that was some real wild west shit right there."

For some other really out there spots on the Pacific, from Mex 1 several miles south of Chapala dry lake and the Rancho Grande turnoff, there are rocky two tracks that head west down to some very remote sections of coast line with excellent surf that runs all the way down to Santa Rosalillita. Lost of great old rocky two track, narrow sand wash and silt bed riding getting there as well.

crashmaster screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 01:02 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote