ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #136
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)
 
Billyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Leduc, Alberta
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Nomad
Just purchased this one. Very pleased with the performance and comfort. Only 12500 miles, I'm third owner.
I bought a 1978 GS1000 [wire wheel] new in June of '78. In August of '80 my wife and I took a 2400 mile trip to Canada then down the eastern seaboard and then back to Tennessee. It was farkled out with a full Vetter fairing, lowers, saddlebags, trunk and radar detector. Loved that bike and put 38000+ miles on it before trading it off. The bike had 42000+ miles on it before the stator gave out.
Now that I'm much older[60+] and retired, I wanted a middleweight GS to tour the backroads. Searched for several months before this one showed up on ebay...only 80 miles from my home.
Gorgeous little 550. I ride a 78 GS1000 with the wire wheels.
__________________
1978 SUZUKI GS1000

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #137
Achiii
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Achiii's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Philly
Oddometer: 417
If anyone is looking for a GS, I am looking to sell mine. 1980 450e. In CT.

Seen here:
Achiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #138
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy
 
JoeyBones's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, Y'all
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARRERASBAJA
I had posted before when I got my first 83 Suzuki GS450 Suzukimatic. Although running it needed some work cosmetically. I found out that I did not have the time to work on her , as it sat in the garage. Then in Sept I saw a listing for a bike for sale as I was lookig for parts for my old one. Sure enough the price was right so I drove up to Watsonville, Ca to pick her up. It was almost in perfect condition. It had a dead battery but we jump started it and it ran fine. Since then it is my favorite ride. I will keep my older looking bike for spare parts and stuff. I found out that the dead battery problem was caused by the Alternator being bad. I have since cannibolized the alternator and a tail light bulb.

Here are my 2 1983 Suzuki GS450GA Suzukimatics. Both run except one is nicer than the other one.
Nice. Great to see folks keeping up the old GS's...
__________________
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #139
Disturbed
Alleged
 
Disturbed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 66
Chasing a new set of forks guys for the 80'1000S? Any suggestions?
__________________
07' SV1000S Suzuki Sold, I'm sorry black beauty
07' DRZ400E Suzuki 12' LT400FSi 4x4 Suzuki Kingquad
80' GS1000S Suzuki 13' Royal Enfield C5 Military
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 AM   #140
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com
 
drhach's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Waukegan
Oddometer: 2,079
Try the GSresources.com webboard. There is a set on their parts for sale area.
I can't vouch for the seller. I just happened to notice the listing as I was perusing the forum.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #141
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
Try the GSresources.com webboard. There is a set on their parts for sale area.
I can't vouch for the seller. I just happened to notice the listing as I was perusing the forum.
TheGSResources.com looks down. Anybody know what's up?
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #142
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com
 
drhach's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Waukegan
Oddometer: 2,079
I've been trying for about a week. They got hackeds a while back. Maybe they're still paying for it.
__________________
1976 R90/6
1972 XLCH
2010 Triumph Thunderbird SE
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #143
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
WB-PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Where young people go to retire
Oddometer: 3,710
Here is my only GS... Purchased for $50, parked in 1978, original title and owner, wasn't stored properly at all. I'd really like to own another, sweet little bike. I didn't replace hardly ANYTHING on the bike except tires. All painting and polishing.

Before:


After:




My only regret is that I didn't take the time to polish the engine...
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #144
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rider929's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Oddometer: 360
This is a great thread. I didn't know it was here. I found a 1980 GS850G this past summer and I am trying to decide weather to sell it or ride it. When I bought it it had a total of 44 miles on it. Not kidding. It now has about 62 miles on it due to some test riding. It still has the original tires on it and they look OK. I have reworked the carbs and the tank has been coated. The only thing left to be done is rebuild the brakes. I would have to sell it for at least $2,000.00 to make any money on it. So, should I sell it or ride it? I will post a picture of it as soon as I figure out how.
__________________
00 W650, 82 XS 650, 74 Commando
rider929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #145
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com
 
drhach's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Waukegan
Oddometer: 2,079
If your bike has the original tires on it, they are almost thirty years old. You should replace them no matter how good the tread is. Rubber is affected by the atmosphere and it degrades. That's why it is best just to ride the tread off of the tires.
__________________
1976 R90/6
1972 XLCH
2010 Triumph Thunderbird SE
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #146
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)
 
Billyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Leduc, Alberta
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
If your bike has the original tires on it, they are almost thirty years old. You should replace them no matter how good the tread is. Rubber is affected by the atmosphere and it degrades. That's why it is best just to ride the tread off of the tires.
People don't understand this. A tire more than 4 years old on a bike is not safe. (My personal limit)
They're cheap. Replace them.
__________________
1978 SUZUKI GS1000

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #147
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)
 
Billyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Leduc, Alberta
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX
Here is my only GS... Purchased for $50, parked in 1978, original title and owner, wasn't stored properly at all. I'd really like to own another, sweet little bike. I didn't replace hardly ANYTHING on the bike except tires. All painting and polishing.

Before:


After:




My only regret is that I didn't take the time to polish the engine...
Looks good! You might consider replacing the brake lines. Same as the tires, they degrade.
__________________
1978 SUZUKI GS1000

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #148
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
WB-PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Where young people go to retire
Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyboy
Looks good! You might consider replacing the brake lines. Same as the tires, they degrade.
Sold it, and actually, I think I did replace with a line off a newer bike... I don't really remember. The only NEW part I purchased for it, other than tires, was carb float bowl gaskets.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #149
ADK OP
____
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 8,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider929
This is a great thread. I didn't know it was here. I found a 1980 GS850G this past summer and I am trying to decide weather to sell it or ride it. When I bought it it had a total of 44 miles on it. Not kidding. It now has about 62 miles on it due to some test riding. It still has the original tires on it and they look OK. I have reworked the carbs and the tank has been coated. The only thing left to be done is rebuild the brakes. I would have to sell it for at least $2,000.00 to make any money on it. So, should I sell it or ride it? I will post a picture of it as soon as I figure out how.
Let's see some pics.Also post it on GSRESOURCES.COM (it's back up, by the way), they will be able to tell you more.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #150
nycs10011
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 65
Finally picked my GS850GLT this weekend. About 15k on her. Now I have some work to do...



nycs10011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014