User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #181
nycs10011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Front end for a GS850L(T)

So my GS850L was parked on the street in downtown Manhattan and after I come back 30 minutes later I discover it on the side. Now it wasn't just knocked over the entire front end is bent and essential shot. Musta been a truck doing about 20. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's gonna be worth replacing the whole front end or just say goodbye to my baby . What do you guys think? How hard is it gonna be to find a junker to part out for the whole front end?
nycs10011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #182
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 458
78 Gs1000

Currently in a different location so I can't post pics. Has 80 / 81 front end, cafe bars with square headlight ,E model?, and header. Rode coast to coast with no issues except chain adjustments and forearms going numb. Great powerhouse, dependable and goes fast. Mad Max special.
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #183
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycs10011
So my GS850L was parked on the street in downtown Manhattan and after I come back 30 minutes later I discover it on the side. Now it wasn't just knocked over the entire front end is bent and essential shot. Musta been a truck doing about 20. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's gonna be worth replacing the whole front end or just say goodbye to my baby . What do you guys think? How hard is it gonna be to find a junker to part out for the whole front end?
Not hard to find at all. Post up on thegsresources.com. The front ends a pretty interchangeable. You could probably upgrade it for the same money.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #184
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
It has spoke wheels with alloy rims, I'm a little confused as I thought they only started making hte spoke wheels in '79.
Spoke wheels from the get-go - 1977 I think? First alloy rims were on the "E" model in 1978. I had them on a 78 GS750EC (I believe the "C" stood for the year 1978). Great bike. Rode it year round in upstate NY, temps down to well below 0, never let me down (had to do a fair amount of push-starting in the depths of winter mornings - interesting exercise when the streets, while plowed, still have plenty of snow and ice on them).
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #185
liveaboard
Adventurer on Land or Sea

Oddometer: 6
1979 GS 550E, new to me, back home fast!

Picked this up off Craigs today in Seattle, $800, Was just thru a local shop before the economic tide hit. A little outfitting and I am off to Vancouver BC for fall King Salmon, cheers!!
Attached Images

liveaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #186
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Laugh Is it worth it????

What do you gurus think? I want to use it as a daily rider.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1318486724.html

1985 Suzuki GS700es - $900 (DeSoto)

Date: 2009-08-11, 7:50PM CDT
Reply to: see below

85 Suzuki GS700es Now reduced to $900. (Firm)
Runs good and has 22,xxx on it.
Tags are out due to bike being parked plus
have to many toys and some have to go.

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #187
mad_dye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
1977 GS750

Bought it last weekend. Loving it !

The bike is in amazing condition for its age. Not a big fan of the seat though. I'd like to replace it with a regular one or a cafe racer seat. Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket seat for it ?
mad_dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #188
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum
I had a 1980 GS1100! I had a blast on that bike........Burnouts, Drag Racing, Burnouts......... I have also decided on my next project bike. I want to find a 82-83 GS1100E in that Champagne Color! Mukuni Smooth Bores, Header,.........maybe even a Vance & Hines Drag Pipe on it! Just love the sound of an inline 4, Big Bore with an open header!

Boojum!
Good to see all these Ole Suzis here!!

I have an 82 (alas, it is the faster RED ) one. V&H street megaphone, and 33mm VM Mikuni smoothbores. Of Course, it's in peices, in the midst of a Bandit running gear transplant...

ALL HAIL the REAL/ORIGINAL GS. Here she is with 1st gen GSXR1100 clip ons, forks, brakes and rims, last year, before I pulled off the bits when I decided I wanted cartridge forks, even though the GSXR (especially the brakes!!) stuff was much better than stock, it still had the same limitations: old tech damper road forks...

Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.

East Coast Rider screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 03:34 PM
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #189
solo suzuki
oldskool fool

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider
Good to see all these Ole Suzis here!!

I have an 82 (alas, it is the faster RED ) one. V&H street megaphone, and 33mm VM Mikuni smoothbores. Of Course, it's in peices, in the midst of a Bandit running gear transplant...

ALL HAIL the REAL/ORIGINAL GS. Here she is with 1st gen GSXR1100 clip ons, forks, brakes and rims, last year, before I pulled off the bits when I decided I wanted cartridge forks, even though the GSXR (especially the brakes!!) stuff was much better than stock, it still had the same limitations: old tech damper road forks...

NICE, love it
let's see more of it.
i had ground clearance problems with the inverted forks on mine and went back to modified conventional ones. i think if you run a 4into2 and raise the rear end you'll have better luck than i did. i wanted mine to look standard and i use it as my two up weekend bike. it was grinding the pipe way too easily for my own comfort
hijack over...

http://www.solosuzukizone.com

''Lighten up, in a blink of an eye we will all be gone'' NoApes
solo suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #190
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,193
Local craiglist find.
1981 GS1000G for $995. 53,000 miles and well taken care of.

About 300 miles ago - previous owner honed the cylinders and put in new rings. Relapped the valves, new valve guides & seals.
New tires and battery, new Saddlemen seat cover.
Came with the Euro bars, bar-end CRG copies, and Maier fairing. (oem mirrors came with it too)

I may color match the fairing, but I like it better without for now.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #191
solo suzuki
oldskool fool

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Local craiglist find.
1981 GS1000G for $995. 53,000 miles and well taken care of.

About 300 miles ago - previous owner honed the cylinders and put in new rings. Relapped the valves, new valve guides & seals.
New tires and battery, new Saddlemen seat cover.
Came with the Euro bars, bar-end CRG copies, and Maier fairing. (oem mirrors came with it too)
I may color match the fairing, but I like it better without for now.
nice find, looks like it should be good for another 20 years...

http://www.solosuzukizone.com

''Lighten up, in a blink of an eye we will all be gone'' NoApes
solo suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #192
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Yep, that's one fine piece. Now that I have a little GS450GA, I've gotten interested in the larger versions.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #193
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Saw a nice one last weekend

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #194
mapleleafalumnus
Demigod

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
Between my brother and myself, as well as our friends, we've never had any suzukis, plenty of Hondas and Yamahas, and a few Kawisakis. I must say I'm quite taken.

I bought this bike to tour on, and leave my cross country vet XS500 for bombing around town.

42k on the odo, absolutely mint condition barring a few dings on the tank. Bought it for $950, the guy had just put on new Metzeler tires, a new battery, chain, sprocket. It also has an updated alternator and a Lockhart oil cooler. It has spoke wheels with alloy rims, I'm a little confused as I thought they only started making hte spoke wheels in '79. I rode it back from Macedon to Ithaca (80 miles) and the bike is fantastic, it cruises comfortably at just about any speed you're willing to hang on at, I was sitting at 65mph with the revs at 4k and felt like I could do this for 500 miles a day easy.

I can't wait to do some touring on this thing!

Grisha, that is one SWEET looking iron horse! You'll have a million smiles per mile going X-country on that!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #195
soaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Wicked

I just picked up this 1978 GS750 yesterday for a grand.

I love it when the owner/seller of a bike is another enthusiast. He told me the whole "story" of the bike. (heck I bet he's an inmate because his other bike is a really sharp looking KLR kitted out)

A friend of his was doing one of those auctions where you buy a cargo container via a silent auction and get everything inside site unseen. This bike was inside in "milk crate" form. The friend offered it to him from free. He put it together, rebuilt the top end, did a lot of little things (brakes, forks etc) and started riding it. He recently painted it himself and the paint looks great.
I'm glad that he sync'd the carbs because I don't have a clue how to do that.

So far so good, I'm loving it! I want to find a set of clubman or cafe bars and a set of lower and smaller mirrors. That and a new rear tire and I'm set!

Here are his craigslist pics until I get a plate on her and take my own.

soaz is offline   Reply With Quote