Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #76
Doofmops67
n00b

Tune up and Oil Change for my GS1100GL

I don't know if it's had that recently or not. I just took her out of my immediate driving plans so that I can do some maintenance. I will prolly let a dealer take a look first. At everything.
It's fun to drive that bike fast and I have no desire to become a hood ornament or a retread.
Yesterday the rear brakes went out on the way home. Some white-knuckled downshifting and very carefully driven 8 miles later i got home and decided to let her have a once over by qualified, trained professionals before I start learning bike-mechanic'n.
Doofmops67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #77
Doofmops67
n00b

RE: Need Engine guards ?????

Dude,

Thanks! I've bid on them and will be watching.
I went through the trouble of using 3D engineering software to desing a full wrap around set and sent the drawings to a local chromer for a quote.
They wanted $175 to chrome one freaking colled-rolled steel tube! (prebent with plates welded, cleaned etc..) I basically advised them to get stuffed. I was going to have them powder-coated instead. but the chrome fits the rest of the bike. I may just have to set up my own chroming bath. Cuz, I plan to make some crazy parts and mods from now on and am not interested in funding someone's coke addiciton with my chrome addiciton! lol

E.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #78
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK
I had one like this (picture borrowed from the internet)...1977 GS-750
Amen. My first bike was a 1979 GS750, bright red, purchased from a friend I raced cars with. He sold it to buy a Formula Ford.

Took six weeks off from work before I joined the Army in the Summer of 1981. Rode all over New England, down to Rehobeth Beach to hang out with a college buddy, and to visit my brother in Philadelphia. Sold it to another friend who was upgrading from his Honda CB450.

Not my bike but just like it:
Attached Images

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #79
blammo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
My first bike! 1983 GS450ED. Looked better with the sidecovers, but they had a bad habit of flying off at highway speeds.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #80
Doofmops67
n00b

Maintenance on Used Bike. Brakes etc.

Well here it is, Sunday afternoon. I've just put another 50 miles on my bike and I'm wondering how it is that the bike survived this far.

Now, let's start from the beginning. I am not a motorcycle mechanic... yet.
But I do own an old 3rd-hand bike. Yes, it only has 17- well 18,000 miles now, on it. BUT, there are some things that you should all consider. (as if you haven't!

The owners manual suggests certain maintenance to be performed to a schedule by an approved dealer.

The problem is, most iF not all dealers refuse to touch a bike that is older than 10 years.

If you have a well-seasoned bike ( mine came off the assembly line in '82) then you will have to learn some things.

I am just speaking from experience here, (both days) I am sure that this blog is full of people just nodding their heads when they hear about regular maintenance and personal responsibility for personal safety.

Here is my spiel. Once you've purchased your well-seasoned bike, get an owners manual and a repair manual if you don't already have them. Check and change ALL fluids. Bleed ALL brake lines from EVERY point, not just the one that is most convenient.
Make sure that the tires are in good shape. Don't just check the tread depth. Make dam*ed dure that they are NOT dry-rotted. (look for cracks etc...)
Make sure that the gas tank is in good shape.
Take some cotton garden gloves (97 cents for those one-size-fits-all brown ones at the Chevron station in the miscellaneous crap section) and rub those gloves in places that you cannot see to make sure that there are no leaks.
Check the action of the levers. Does the throttle spring back? Does the front brake need adjusting? Does the rear brake peddle work properly? Pop the inspection cover and give the brake pads a good look. Look at the rotors and follow manufacturers recommendations for replacing.

In general look for loose ANYTHING would be good.

And of course , I know that we all do the following before EVERY ride but I'll just mention it to humor those who want to know what I'm thinking.

Before everyride, move your bike to a well lit area. Was there a puddle under your bike when you moved her? Walk slowly around looking for obvious things that would make her unsafe. Look the tires over, energize the system and check for proper operation of the lites and signals. I know you just changed it, but check the oil too. It only takes a second. Think of the pain in the rear would be to wait for AAA next to a smoking motor.
Check your riding gear. Does it fit you? Does it fit the weather?

Ok, feel free to flush this description out in replies. Its short and incomplete but you see where I'm headed.
My rear brakes failed the second day I was riding my bike. The guy that I bought the bike from had a neat garage and all of his vehicles looke to be in order so I didn't bother changing fluids right away.

That makes me a "DUMB"

Even if this guys was the perfect caretaker for all of his machines- well, sometimes fluids get contaminated or just old. It doesn't take long to bleed brakes. Just do it.
However. I'd only do one set at a time so that when you test your work you at least know that you have one set that should work.

Anyway, I'm loving the bike. Not so sure that it will save me any money on gas yet. It is supposed to get ~50mpg?? I haven't done the math yet but the gage on the tank sure does move fast.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fuel? Our fuel in Texas has that ethanol crap in it. it doesn't work as well as normal gasoline and is bad for motors that are not designed to use it.

Ride safe!

Big-E.

RedRocket:
I missed your auction! I got distracted by work! lol
Let me know if the winner is a no-show. I will buy them from you.

Doofmops67 screwed with this post 04-21-2008 at 10:47 AM
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #81
rrowdies
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here.
I've owned a 1983 GS1100ESD and a 1984 GS1150ES. Both were stolen believe it not.
Last fall after 13 bikeless years I found a 1983 GS750ES for sale just around the corner from my house. I bought it and promptly locked the steering column. Unfortunately, it won't unlock. It seems that the key the guy gave me was for a Yamaha and although it locks the steering, it won't unlock it. Any advice? I've ordered a manual and I've also stared at diagrams but I'm still not sure what to do.

Thanks,
Rob in Ontario Canada
Attached Images

rrowdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #82
DWalt
**** The Beans....

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrowdies
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here.
I've owned a 1983 GS1100ESD and a 1984 GS1150ES. Both were stolen believe it not.
Last fall after 13 bikeless years I found a 1983 GS750ES for sale just around the corner from my house. I bought it and promptly locked the steering column. Unfortunately, it won't unlock. It seems that the key the guy gave me was for a Yamaha and although it locks the steering, it won't unlock it. Any advice? I've ordered a manual and I've also stared at diagrams but I'm still not sure what to do.

Thanks,
Rob in Ontario Canada
Break the lock with a BFH!
DWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #83
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,218
Maybe a silly question. If you locked it, shouldn't the key that you used also unlock it? My 78' key switch was really notchy and eventually it got to the point where I could not unlock it. I removed the entire assembly and tried to fix it. Needless to say it is made of pretty cheaply cast pot metal. I applied too much force trying to get a drift pin out and the housing broke.
You should be able to remove the lock from the bike though. After that, you could either take the lock to a locksmith or buy a new one. When you remove the lock, the pin that locks the steering stem comes with it and your steering stem will be freed up again.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #84
Doofmops67
n00b

Starter Clutch Assembly Gs1100 1982

Dudes,

I need a starter clutch assembly for my bike. Does anyone know where I can find one? (short of buying a parts bike! lol)
Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #85
ADK OP
_____

Oddometer: 8,120
Go here for everything you need to know...
http://www.thegsresources.com
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #86
Doofmops67
n00b

GS1100 Starter Clutch!!!

This is getting crazy...

can I use anyother model starte clutch on my 1982 GS1100??

Thanks.

Ernie
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #87
rrowdies
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcam
Here's my '83 GS1100es, the last of the round tubers. I may have to sell it this spring to pay for the re-hashing of my Ducati 748, but I am trying to find any excuse to keep it. Lots of power (for 1983) and one of the best over the road bikes I've ever had.

Man, that is one beautiful bike. I had one just like it but it was stolen and chopped. If you ever want to sell it, contact me!

Rob R in Ontario Canada
Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #88
rrowdies
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
Maybe a silly question. If you locked it, shouldn't the key that you used also unlock it? My 78' key switch was really notchy and eventually it got to the point where I could not unlock it. I removed the entire assembly and tried to fix it. Needless to say it is made of pretty cheaply cast pot metal. I applied too much force trying to get a drift pin out and the housing broke.
You should be able to remove the lock from the bike though. After that, you could either take the lock to a locksmith or buy a new one. When you remove the lock, the pin that locks the steering stem comes with it and your steering stem will be freed up again.
You're right, it should, but it doesn't. The key the guy gave me was a Yamaha key. Unfortunately I had already given him the money for the bike so I was stuck. The key worked when it came to starting but when I locked it (old habits die hard) it wouldn't unlock. I'm just not sure about how I take it apart. A buddy of mine said I should just drill it but I'm not ready for that just yet.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #89
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,218
Get a manual. That will be the easiest way. These bikes aren't that big of a deal to disassemble. Of course, reassembly is usually a little harder. If you're nervous though, get a manual and it will walk you through it. Once you get to the actual lock, there should only be a couple of allen bolts holding the assembly in place. Just be careful that you don't strip the heads. Check out bikebandit or someone like that. They have online parts images that will give you a pretty good idea of the whole assembly as well.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #90
Zegameister
Hi 'O Silver

Oddometer: 4
Talking

Here's some pix of my GS1100ES that I purchased yesterday morning....
It is in near showroom condition with 5200 original miles....

Zegameister is offline   Reply With Quote