ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
carryonpompei OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Mexico Map Advice Please

Hello all,

Am plannnig two month trip to Mexico from New York, leaving early Feb 08. Itinerary not decided. Riding a 1973 BMW Airhead.

Have no experience of motorcycle trips like this, or much money.

Am very likely to buy Garmin 60CX. It'll help for the ride down to Mexico, and back up again. Yes I can read maps, but I have zero sense of direction, and a lifelong history of getting lost. I can use the gadget again when I get home.

Getting lost in Mexico will probably be more of a pleasure, but all the same it would be nice to venture off beaten track.

So my questions --

Is it worth buying the $190 Bicimapas map for the 60CX, or is there something better or cheaper?
(I'm not going to be searching for lost treasures, just want to get around Mexico easily, and maybe do some easy off-road.)
Will the Bicimapas actually load onto the 60CX?

Many Thanks in Anticipation
carryonpompei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,746
$190 now?

I bought the $145 Bicimapas before my trip to Mexico... and while the GPS maps were occasionally helpful, I didn't think they were worth $145. My Guia Roji was my main map, and I just used the GPS for general direction.

I found the detailed city maps to be nearly worthless. They rarely matched up with real roads.

The newest version of Bicimapas (I bought mine in April) might be better... but it'd have to be a whole lot better for me to buy it again.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
triumphant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Congrats on tackling a ride into Mexico.
MY 2 cents.
I use a Garmin for every trip I take all over the world. You will need 'World Map' in order to ride Mexico. There is not another mapping software that I am aware of for Mexico. I have travelled extensively through Mexico, my first experience was through Mexico and central America to get to South America.
Must say I am not aware of the capability of the Garmin you speak of. I prefer the 276c for rough use - and it is capable of handling all the mapping you will need.
Get used to a GPS - it will bail you out in a pinch. My personal observation is that a GPS is like having a friend sitting on your handlebar for those long, boring road sections.
Good luck on your ride. If you're ever in Dallas ...

__________________________________________________ __________

If you want to go quickly; go alone.
If you want to go far; go together.
African Proverb
triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
ppuga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I just get the bicimapas for my Zumo and it's a great map, usining it with a paper "guia roji" maps.

I get it on december, and it's supossed to get me a huge actualization in the next days with 18 more cities. Now it has 45 I think.

But I don't know if the 60cx reads all the map info. But mail this guys on bicimapas they could help you for sure.
ppuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
dare2go
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

The new edition of Garmin maps from http://www.gmap.com.mx/es/11_info.htm are supposed to be decent - only catch is: $99 to buy...
Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryonpompei
Hello all,

Am plannnig two month trip to Mexico from New York, leaving early Feb 08. Itinerary not decided. Riding a 1973 BMW Airhead.

Have no experience of motorcycle trips like this, or much money.

Am very likely to buy Garmin 60CX. It'll help for the ride down to Mexico, and back up again. Yes I can read maps, but I have zero sense of direction, and a lifelong history of getting lost. I can use the gadget again when I get home.

Getting lost in Mexico will probably be more of a pleasure, but all the same it would be nice to venture off beaten track.

So my questions --

Is it worth buying the $190 Bicimapas map for the 60CX, or is there something better or cheaper?
(I'm not going to be searching for lost treasures, just want to get around Mexico easily, and maybe do some easy off-road.)
Will the Bicimapas actually load onto the 60CX?

Many Thanks in Anticipation
What Jaimie said about using the Guia Roja map books is right.

People who buy the Mex GPS programs could just be tired of masturbating themselves and need a new outlet.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,775
I just bought the complete GPS atlas maps.

I think they are the best thing you could possibly have for navigating Mexico and I wouldn't go without them.

I also think they stink----badly.

Just as all Mexico maps have in the past.

I did call Bicimapas and told them that a lot of my tracklogs of the roads in Mexico where the locals drive their old Ford Pickups weren't on his maps-----he didn't believe me. He wanted me to send him all the places that this was true-----I told him that would take me 6 months to do---and I'd want paid for it. I don't think he liked me.

Anyway-----they still are the best-----but stink.

I really don't like badgering peoples products on the net---I'd rather just not say nothing--just me.

So buy them--------they will help you out---usually
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
turkish
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,140
You can probably do without the Mexico map that Garmin sells directly. I bought it and have used it only once or twice. It does have pretty decent street-level data for Mexico City and Guadalajara, but it's blank in most of the places I wanted to ride.

A friend gave me some other map of Mexico that I've been using. I'm not sure where it came from though. It's got a lot of the little out-of-the-way places, but falls down near medium sized towns. I.e., the roads in and out of town don't connect so you can autoroute through them.

Garmin's World Map isn't bad, but you can't really count on anything that's in it. It seems like it was last updated in the early 1900s.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
climberevan
planning the next journey

Oddometer: 309
i've ridden 5000k in Mexico over the last 5 weeks, and i completely agree that the Bicimapas are worth having along. they've only really gotten me into trouble a few times, and i just mean having to turn around. many other times they've been invaluable. having them in big cities is a real help--i navigated into and through Cancun at night and in the rain without once making a wrong turn.
climberevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
As to the question of whether Bicimapas will fit on A 60CSX; they will, that's what they use at Bicimapas to check out their product. Dan
Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
The 60Cx has a memory card - upto 2G .. and that will more that fit Mexico!

As an alternative to Garmins 'World Map' there is smelleybikers 'Wanderlust' world map .. v1.6 now. Version 1.7 to come soonish .. is suposed to autoroute, 100 meter contours .. probably better detail than garmin world map in that area ..

Also some free maps on http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/cata...hp?country=152 .. but you will have to learn how to gernerate the preview maps .tbl and .img for the maps you get .. large learning curve.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer: 1,016
Cool2 mapas

I also am planning a trip into Mexico down thru the Sierra Madre to Copper Canyon area. I have a Garmin Zumo with Worldmap and Mapsource. I've purchased the Bici Mapas and am also downloading tracks from other ADVriders in these posts that integrate with the Bici mapas program. I assume that you would be able to incorporate these tracks into your tracklog.
From what I've heard from other people that have ridden in this area is that often the different maps are very contradictory. Goat and horse trails can show up as roadways, roads are not in the places shown, villages are shown on one map but not others, there are many more roads than shown on the map and there may be several differnt routes to get from one place to another, and many intersections are not physically marked. If a local Mexican wants a road built he might get it on a map in hopes of it being built someday.
Getting lost is part of the adventure. Remember - if you don't know where you're going then you're never lost!
Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.

Graywolf11 screwed with this post 01-24-2008 at 04:19 PM
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
At least as far as Baja goes, the bici maps are fairly good. I have the same problem that one of the other posters has--I get lost really easy, not so much in the major direction of things like N, S, E, W, and I can tell time within about 5 minutes by the sun, but take me down a road and I am lost in two turns.

The bici maps are not right on, and there were a lot of roads that were not on the maps, but for the most part they were good, and the best part was tht I never got lost. Many times they would be a "road" no bigger than a donkey trail, and it was on the GPS.

I had a copy of the Baja Almanac map (not the whole guide) and I never once had to take it out--the gps got me all the way from Ensenada to La Paz--off road.

$145 or whatever it costs now may seem like a lot, but when you are hopelessly turned around in the middle of nowhere Baja, low on fuel and its getting dark, they are invaluable.

www.BendDualSport.com

"Look...My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

"Does anyone know where there is a taco stand? A beer and a taco stand, that's what I need." Mouse McCoy, Dust to Glory.
AHRMA17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,733
Bicimapas is good.

Yeh, it's pricey. But it's a huge help.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
Hawaii_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
LBMaps