User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #61
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,994

Man VS tree on the trails of Michigan.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #62
norcal-SAHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I guess it's not technically road rash, as the damage was done when my CR500 rear wheel landed on my back with the throttle stuck. Damage is about the same though. It is not as bad as it could have been, since I had on a camelbak and a full back coverage chest protector. It took a few moments for the spinning wheel to displace that stuff and get to the meat. This picture is after about 30 minutes of a nurse scrubbing the dirt out of the wound... Ironically this did not hurt at all, as the pain from the broken femur dwarfed the road rash pain. This was 8 years ago, all is well now.
norcal-SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #63
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,341

Road Rash.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #64
Mtncrzr
Just Kidding, not really

Oddometer: 1,213
The doggie has has a glint in his eye, don't fall down on your stomach...
Old 06-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #65
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Road Rash.

DireWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrzr
The doggie has has a glint in his eye, don't fall down on your stomach...

Demon dog

and I got plenty of stomach "padding"

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #66
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Here's a slide down an underpass after a death wobble. Had a mesh jacket on with armor.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #67
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Ok, I'll try this again.... sorry, had to resize.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #68
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Thank God I was smart enough to have this on my head.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #69
wide track
Banned

Oddometer: 102
Yesterday's Gear

There wasn't much riding gear when I started riding, we had the choice of street cloths or hot leathers, leathers were only worn in cool weather. Helmuts? There was no such thing, we wore aviators hats with goggles.

I had a friend that had never rode a bike before, so off he goes and buys a new Triumph around 500cc. Dealer says ride around the parking lot and if you don't fall off keep on going. He did and he hit a car head on and spent the next year in the hospital, I won't go into the gory details but even the finest gear would not have benefited him very much.

However it was a lesson learned, I have been down and who knows how bad it might have been without the gear. so I most of the time wear gear.
wide track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #70
birdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
On May 4 this year my wife and I were both T-boned by a drunk driver. We had on all the gear. Although I broke 6 bones from bouncing off the guys roof I only had one scratch on my leg that was below the top of my boots. My wife flew much farther than I did, she got a mild rash where the jacket rode up while she was sliding backwards on her stomach down the highway.

Someday after the operations are over I will ride again. Had we not been wearing the gear I doubt either of us would be around.
birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #71
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,994
Skin Abrasions and 'Road Rash' Treatment

Treating abrasions, lacerations, scrapes, and road rash.

By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com
Updated: August 2, 2007
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Medical Review Board

See More About:

Medical Ads Cat Wound 2nd Degree Burns Treating Burns Healing Burns Treatment of Burns

Abrasions are very common sports injuries that are usually caused by a fall on a hard surface. As the athlete falls or slides on the ground, friction causes layers of skin to rub off. The skin is composed of an outer layer (the epidermis) which provides protection, and a deep inner layer (the dermis), which provides the firmness and flexibility of the skin. Abrasions typically refer to an injury that removes these layers of skin.
Cyclists often refer to abrasions from crashes as "road rash." While a bike crash has the potential to cause a painful and severe abrasion, most abrasions are shallow scrapes that do not extend into the dermis and don't cause a great deal of bleeding. While there is often little or no blood loss from an abrasion, there can be a great deal of pain because of the many nerve endings that are exposed.
Treatment for Abrasions
Conventional treatment of abrasions and road rash included treating the area by cleaning the wound with mild soap and water or a mild antiseptic wash like hydrogen peroxide, and then covering the area with an antibiotic ointment and a dry dressing. However, it has been found that the use of antiseptics such as hydrogen peroxide may actually cause harm to the tissue and interfere with the healing process.
While a severe abrasion should be seen and cleaned by a physician, you can do some things to promote healing. First, because abrasions can easily become infected, you should clean the area thoroughly and remove any dirt and debris. Ideally, you want to irrigate the area with a nontoxic surfactant such as 0.9 sodium chloride or Shur-Clens with a bit of pressure (use a syringe if possible). The area must be completely clean. If necessary, use a clean gauze to gently scrub the area. Do not scrub vigorously, as this can cause more tissue damage.
Use a semipermeable dressing (Tegaderm, Bioclusive or Second Skin, for instance) to cover the wound and attach the dressing to dry healthy skin with adhesive tape. The dressing should be changed every few days. Keep the wound moist until it has healed. A moist environment promotes healing, improves tissue formation and protects the area from infection.
Your tetanus status is important to avoiding infection. If you are uncertain when you had your last tetanus shot or if your last booster was more than 10 years ago, you should get one. Tetanus is an acute infectious disease in which the voluntary muscles go into spasm. It is not only caused by stepping on a rusty nail; it can also develop in wounds in which the flesh is torn or burned. (See Adults Need Tetanus Shots, Too).
Deep Lacerations
While cleaning the skin abrasion, you should look for any deep cuts that may require stitches to heal properly. Cuts that continue to bleed after 15 minutes of direct pressure, or cuts that extend deep into the skin and have edges that pull apart, may require stitches. If you are unsure if you need stitches, you should see a physician immediately.
Also see: Do I Need Stitches?
Healing
After an abrasion, the layers of damaged skin will heal from the deeper layers to the surface layers and from the outer edges to the center. As healing begins, the area of the abrasion may look pink and raw, but in time the wound will form new skin that is pink and smooth.
Prevention
Prevention of abrasions is possible by wearing protective pads and covering any exposed skin with a layer of clothing. Generally, you can predict when you will suffer an abrasion. So it is wise to have the necessary first aid supplies available in the event of an emergency.

Source: Immediate Steps for Treating Abrasions, Rodney S. W. Basler, MD; Michael A. Garcia; Kara S. Gooding, PA, The Physician and Sports Medicine, April

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #72
ctbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
Skin Abrasions and 'Road Rash' Treatment

Treating abrasions, lacerations, scrapes, and road rash.

Nice Find.

Quote:
06-13-2008 11:38 PM
Krasniewski Ok, I'll try this again.... sorry, had to resize.
What mesh jacekt was it? Did the armor shift?
ctbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #73
eggbert69
Grarararararararararrroom

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol
i see road rash everyday that i am in thailand. when i can, i usually spend my winters in koh samui, it really is one of the worset places in thailand to drive, everything adds up to disaster, the roads are the worest in the country, pot holes and broken concrete is everywhere, then comes the bikes, all you need is a passport to rent a bike, no experience no drivers license, no one cares, everyone and everything is on the roads, from those who have no experience to overloaded trucks, then comes the all night drinking, all the tourists know better but you can see them getting onto their scooters all pissed up and drive off into the night as the cops dont care.
so then comes the next day, legs are bandaged, people hobbling around. 10 years ago it used to be 1 foreigner would die every week on that island, i am scared to think what it must be like today. wearing protection is to wear sunglasses.

knock on wood. 11 years worth of trips, and i have never recieved a samui tattoo.
Haha I know what you mean.. Went there last December over the christmas holidays in Aus..
At 2 am we saw the POLICE helping an obviously drunken guy onto his scooter and him plodding off down the road.

My friend also got a 'samui tattoo' from sitting on the back of a scooter and touching the muffler :p
eggbert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #74
AirForce
Abbey Normal

Oddometer: 587
From the deer strike at 60 mph a few weeks ago. No real road rash to speak of but a beautiful mustard yellow bruise from the proximal humerus fracture (ball broken off the upper arm) and included ligament and muscle damage. The Combat Touring Boots saved the ankle, but the Missouri chip seal grabbed the bottom of the boot when I came off and my toes went from 0-60 in an instant and piled into the front of the boot. End result...big toe broken in three places, little toe broken in two places, and the other three just sprained. ATGATT saved the rash, but I don't think anything could have prevented the broken bones. The deer gave me all of about 1/2 second as it bolted out of the woods and into my GSs front wheel. Deer Season 2008...This year, it's Personal.

1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ (Seca)
1989 Honda GB600.
AirForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #75
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
what does skunk taste like??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Hah, yes. But they are nocturnal unless rabid I believe. I also mostly ride only during the day. EW suck though if I have to ride at night and bin it on a skunk. Wonder if they taste like chicken?
According to "Bear Grylls" that idiot on 'Man V Wild' it tastes like Chicken.........and Dog Sh*t Mixed....... YUM YUM!
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote