ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #76
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!
 
S-TrackJunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce
From the deer strike at 60 mph a few weeks ago. No real road rash to speak of but a beautiful mustard yellow bruise from the proximal humerus fracture (ball broken off the upper arm) and included ligament and muscle damage. The Combat Touring Boots saved the ankle, but the Missouri chip seal grabbed the bottom of the boot when I came off and my toes went from 0-60 in an instant and piled into the front of the boot. End result...big toe broken in three places, little toe broken in two places, and the other three just sprained. ATGATT saved the rash, but I don't think anything could have prevented the broken bones. The deer gave me all of about 1/2 second as it bolted out of the woods and into my GSs front wheel. Deer Season 2008...This year, it's Personal.




Glad you're ok!! It looks like you're damn lucky to be as well off as you are. Deer scare the livin shit out of me on my bike!! Speedy recovery, and best of luck to you!!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #77
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RidingAgin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of WA Cascades.
Oddometer: 397
Getting T-boned and { AirForce } hitting a deer are some of my top fears. Got to be ready at all times, if possible.

I head out early for work about 5 am, am just about 1/4 mile from house going on the road under the power lines. Doing about 25-30 only but there is a deer on the side of the road, but slow down and keep an eye on the deer. Then realize moma deer is in the road in front of me... she runs off the road as I was barely moving by then, the moral of the story is to keep looking for other critters, if you see one there may be more!
__________________
08 R1200GS, 11 F650GS twin
RidingAgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #78
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce
From the deer strike at 60 mph a few weeks ago. No real road rash to speak of but a beautiful mustard yellow bruise from the proximal humerus fracture (ball broken off the upper arm) and included ligament and muscle damage. The Combat Touring Boots saved the ankle, but the Missouri chip seal grabbed the bottom of the boot when I came off and my toes went from 0-60 in an instant and piled into the front of the boot. End result...big toe broken in three places, little toe broken in two places, and the other three just sprained. ATGATT saved the rash, but I don't think anything could have prevented the broken bones. The deer gave me all of about 1/2 second as it bolted out of the woods and into my GSs front wheel. Deer Season 2008...This year, it's Personal.




I hope you ate that Deer. Jerky? Sausage?
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #79
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick
 
KTM640Dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Oxbow Lake
Oddometer: 2,050






__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #80
Attico
Wrong way 'round
 
Attico's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,832
That looks like a map of italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
This is from going into cements posts on the side of the road doing about 100 kph. Think I hit the pelvis as hard as possible without breaking it. Lost three liters of blood that had to be drained from internal bleeding of the muscles.

__________________
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” (Coelho)
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #81
blammo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
blammo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Columbus Ohio
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong70
That looks like a map of italy.
Or the Shroud of Turin! I'm sure he saw Jesus at some point during the accident. Yikes!
__________________
They wouldn't be so cocky if they knew what me and the moon have going
blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #82
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased
 
Mad Kaw Disease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC)
Oddometer: 534
This was a "zero mph" fall on a hillside full of volcanic cinder rock. I had all protective gear on except padded impact shorts. I wear padded impact shorts now.

__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2014 BMW R1200RTW

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #83
jdonly1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jdonly1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Bairnsdale
Oddometer: 142
Here is some of mine after T-boning a car at jost over 100kph



jdonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #84
moron
Studly Adventurer
 
moron's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Bentonville
Oddometer: 688
Not really 'road' but rash anyway: this is what happens when a clueless Ford Expedition driver pulls out in front of you and you just can't quite get stopped.

My leg struck a glancing blow on her front bumper (upper abrasion) and front license plate bracket (lower scratches); I guess I was lucky it wasn't a bare license plate as it might have shaved off a lot more flesh.

My knee dented the DR200 gas tank a bit but other than that no damage to the bike: I cleverly put my body between it and the SUV.

And no I wasn't wearing the proper gear - one of those calculated risks that didn't quite work out.

__________________
What you've got to understand is some people enjoy being mocked by their betters.

andre North Kent Coast
moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #85
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)
 
Billyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Leduc, Alberta
Oddometer: 170


Holy cow! John Locke rides a GS!
__________________
1978 SUZUKI GS1000

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #86
drw1926
Adventurer
 
drw1926's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mililani, Hawaii
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski
Thank God I was smart enough to have this on my head.
That woulda been freakin' ugly if you hadn't been wearing it...looks like you landed right on your jaw...and face...
drw1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #87
Mr. Jetmoto
Banned
 
Mr. Jetmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: oregon
Oddometer: 1,903
If you see one, there are always more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingAgin
Getting T-boned and { AirForce } hitting a deer are some of my top fears. Got to be ready at all times, if possible.

I head out early for work about 5 am, am just about 1/4 mile from house going on the road under the power lines. Doing about 25-30 only but there is a deer on the side of the road, but slow down and keep an eye on the deer. Then realize moma deer is in the road in front of me... she runs off the road as I was barely moving by then, the moral of the story is to keep looking for other critters, if you see one there may be more!

In the summertime I can count as many as 11 or 12 deer down a 4 mile road on the way home. It sucks, because the road is full of nice twisties and I ride it every day, so I always want to throttle it because I know it like the back of my hand. But at the same time, maybe 2 out of 5 times a deer crosses my path from out of nowhere.

I have been toying with the idea of putting a deer whistle on the front fender and seeing if it does anything.

Oh yeah, one thing I have noticed from my extensive deer experience that may help you guys with them. If they have their ears pointing up while they look at you, they are not going to bolt (but you should still slow down). If they put their ears back, brake hard and get ready for evasive action!!!
Mr. Jetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #88
rags_splat
Adventure Commuter
 
rags_splat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Sussex, New Jersey
Oddometer: 346
deer tagged my right shoulder. i was going about 30-35 in the rain.
ATG except only long johns, jeans, rain pants.(no knee protection)





the wound is about 20 min. old in these pics
rags_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #89
drw1926
Adventurer
 
drw1926's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mililani, Hawaii
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jetmoto
I have been toying with the idea of putting a deer whistle on the front fender and seeing if it does anything.
Mr. J,

They don't, and if you think about it, it isn't hard to understand why they don't.

I think it would be safer to just stay in full-alert mode when you know you are riding through a known deer area, than to relax somewhat thinking that the 'deer whistle' might bail you out.

There has been more than one study done on those things, and at best they do absolutely nothing.
drw1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #90
Tiis-Tiis Lane
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags_splat
deer tagged my right shoulder. i was going about 30-35 in the rain.
ATG except only long johns, jeans, rain pants.(no knee protection)





the wound is about 20 min. old in these pics
Road rash picture, ok...Moose knuckle in the picture of the road rash not so much ok.

Seriously though, I hope you heal/healed up just fine.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014