Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #76
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce
From the deer strike at 60 mph a few weeks ago. No real road rash to speak of but a beautiful mustard yellow bruise from the proximal humerus fracture (ball broken off the upper arm) and included ligament and muscle damage. The Combat Touring Boots saved the ankle, but the Missouri chip seal grabbed the bottom of the boot when I came off and my toes went from 0-60 in an instant and piled into the front of the boot. End result...big toe broken in three places, little toe broken in two places, and the other three just sprained. ATGATT saved the rash, but I don't think anything could have prevented the broken bones. The deer gave me all of about 1/2 second as it bolted out of the woods and into my GSs front wheel. Deer Season 2008...This year, it's Personal.

Glad you're ok!! It looks like you're damn lucky to be as well off as you are. Deer scare the livin shit out of me on my bike!! Speedy recovery, and best of luck to you!!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #77
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Getting T-boned and { AirForce } hitting a deer are some of my top fears. Got to be ready at all times, if possible.

I head out early for work about 5 am, am just about 1/4 mile from house going on the road under the power lines. Doing about 25-30 only but there is a deer on the side of the road, but slow down and keep an eye on the deer. Then realize moma deer is in the road in front of me... she runs off the road as I was barely moving by then, the moral of the story is to keep looking for other critters, if you see one there may be more!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #78
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce
From the deer strike at 60 mph a few weeks ago. No real road rash to speak of but a beautiful mustard yellow bruise from the proximal humerus fracture (ball broken off the upper arm) and included ligament and muscle damage. The Combat Touring Boots saved the ankle, but the Missouri chip seal grabbed the bottom of the boot when I came off and my toes went from 0-60 in an instant and piled into the front of the boot. End result...big toe broken in three places, little toe broken in two places, and the other three just sprained. ATGATT saved the rash, but I don't think anything could have prevented the broken bones. The deer gave me all of about 1/2 second as it bolted out of the woods and into my GSs front wheel. Deer Season 2008...This year, it's Personal.

I hope you ate that Deer. Jerky? Sausage?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #79
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,050

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #80
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,832
That looks like a map of italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
This is from going into cements posts on the side of the road doing about 100 kph. Think I hit the pelvis as hard as possible without breaking it. Lost three liters of blood that had to be drained from internal bleeding of the muscles.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #81
blammo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong70
That looks like a map of italy.
Or the Shroud of Turin! I'm sure he saw Jesus at some point during the accident. Yikes!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #82
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
This was a "zero mph" fall on a hillside full of volcanic cinder rock. I had all protective gear on except padded impact shorts. I wear padded impact shorts now.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #83
jdonly1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Here is some of mine after T-boning a car at jost over 100kph

jdonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #84
moron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Not really 'road' but rash anyway: this is what happens when a clueless Ford Expedition driver pulls out in front of you and you just can't quite get stopped.

My leg struck a glancing blow on her front bumper (upper abrasion) and front license plate bracket (lower scratches); I guess I was lucky it wasn't a bare license plate as it might have shaved off a lot more flesh.

My knee dented the DR200 gas tank a bit but other than that no damage to the bike: I cleverly put my body between it and the SUV.

And no I wasn't wearing the proper gear - one of those calculated risks that didn't quite work out.

andre North Kent Coast
moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #85
Billyboy
GS'er (The Suzuki kind)

Oddometer: 170

Holy cow! John Locke rides a GS!

"That licks balls. But I can't just stand around all day getting my balls licked. I've got shit to do!"
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #86
drw1926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski
Thank God I was smart enough to have this on my head.
That woulda been freakin' ugly if you hadn't been wearing it...looks like you landed right on your jaw...and face...
drw1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #87
Mr. Jetmoto
Banned

Oddometer: 1,903
If you see one, there are always more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingAgin
Getting T-boned and { AirForce } hitting a deer are some of my top fears. Got to be ready at all times, if possible.

I head out early for work about 5 am, am just about 1/4 mile from house going on the road under the power lines. Doing about 25-30 only but there is a deer on the side of the road, but slow down and keep an eye on the deer. Then realize moma deer is in the road in front of me... she runs off the road as I was barely moving by then, the moral of the story is to keep looking for other critters, if you see one there may be more!

In the summertime I can count as many as 11 or 12 deer down a 4 mile road on the way home. It sucks, because the road is full of nice twisties and I ride it every day, so I always want to throttle it because I know it like the back of my hand. But at the same time, maybe 2 out of 5 times a deer crosses my path from out of nowhere.

I have been toying with the idea of putting a deer whistle on the front fender and seeing if it does anything.

Oh yeah, one thing I have noticed from my extensive deer experience that may help you guys with them. If they have their ears pointing up while they look at you, they are not going to bolt (but you should still slow down). If they put their ears back, brake hard and get ready for evasive action!!!
Mr. Jetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #88
rags_splat
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 346
deer tagged my right shoulder. i was going about 30-35 in the rain.
ATG except only long johns, jeans, rain pants.(no knee protection)

the wound is about 20 min. old in these pics
rags_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #89
drw1926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jetmoto
I have been toying with the idea of putting a deer whistle on the front fender and seeing if it does anything.
Mr. J,

They don't, and if you think about it, it isn't hard to understand why they don't.

I think it would be safer to just stay in full-alert mode when you know you are riding through a known deer area, than to relax somewhat thinking that the 'deer whistle' might bail you out.

There has been more than one study done on those things, and at best they do absolutely nothing.
drw1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #90
Tiis-Tiis Lane

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags_splat
deer tagged my right shoulder. i was going about 30-35 in the rain.
ATG except only long johns, jeans, rain pants.(no knee protection)

the wound is about 20 min. old in these pics
Road rash picture, ok...Moose knuckle in the picture of the road rash not so much ok.

Seriously though, I hope you heal/healed up just fine.