Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 861
I did Rt. 66 last year, and I moseyed up to Yosemite and across Nevada via Hwy. 50 on the way back. They call Hwy 50 "The lonliest Road in America" and they aren't kidding. I did approximately 120 mph for 3 hours, stopping only for gas. I passed no one in my direction of travel, and there was no oncoming traffic either. Freaky.

Anyways, if you want advice, drop me a tell. I did roughly 300 to 400 miles a day tops. You are going to want to stop and take pictures a bunch, so it won't seem slow. Take your time and enjoy the road and your dad's company. Remember, this trip isn't about the destination - it's about the trip. That's what Rt. 66 is; a way to get somewhere. There is no destination, just an accomplishment at the end.

--Savoir-Faire
Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep
My dad is getting up in years, and actually talking about selling his motorcycle. I'm hoping to change his mind, but in case I don't I want to go on one last huraah with him.

Anybody got any maps?? It looks like I'll be going along
have a gps? a garmin? i have gps waypoints of rt 66, we have traveled much of it ourselves (in fact darn near all of it left to travel) have started off in chicago at lou mitchels for breakfast with a fellow patron of ADvrider my wife and a fellow of bmwlt.com, ya might as well have a good breakfast with fellow riders at some point!

anyhow, if ya have a garmin gps, I'll send ya the file I have

you can pm me with a e-mail

tom
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,905
plenty here

LINK

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #19
Mookie
Too lazy to hike

Oddometer: 61
Route 66

I did it last July. You can read my and other rider ramblings on it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252112
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #20
DaveO
BOF

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
To me, the best section of old 66 is from Seligman, Arizona, through Kingman, and then on through Oatman and into Needles. The road is in mostly good to fair shape, no big trucks. The section from Kingman to Oatman is twisty and scenic. We have yet to encounter any rampaging motorcycle gangs on it (unless you count 2 up on an R1200GS ).
Couldn't agree more.
This old (60+) Aussie Digger and his best mate (wife Shirley) rode this section two years back and loved every minute. History in every mile.

DaveO
DaveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #21
TucsonBill
Tucson Tiger

Oddometer: 120
We're lucky in Arizona to have a pretty good bit of 66 left. I think that you need to keep in mind that, while the actual road is gone, the sites along the route are still pretty cool! You can retrace the route, but not the road, and see historic and unique stuff. The little bit from I-40 south of Kingman, AZ over the hill to Oatman is a perfect example of why the original Mother Road was replaced! Imagine that curvy, uphill road on a 100 degree day in your '31 DeSoto and you'll see that the folks who went west during the dustbowl years were true Adventure Riders! Try searching Amazon for "Route 66" and you'll be amazed at the number of guides on that little two-lane.
TucsonBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,382
This might help.Might give you an alteritive,if you need one.
Good luck.
www.roadtripusa.com

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #23
irish2themax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser
It's a noble idea and bless your heart for thinking of it for dad's last ride but there is so little of 66 left you'll be backtracking/searching a lot.
Just my opinion it's not worth the bother since most of your trip will be off 66 rather than on it.
Not true...there is a LOT of Route 66 left.

I am taking the trip next month...and then some..with two other retirees.

These are the resources I used:
GPS units, 8 map Route 66 series, Illustrated Guidebook to the Mother Road, EZ66 Guide for Travelers, Google Maps, Garmin gdb files, various Internet sites especially Legends of Americaand The Mother Road: Historic Route 66

Google Maps has the sections of Historic Route 66 marked...just select Directions and enter the various destinations for each leg. Then click& drag route to Historic Rout 66

Eg: Google maps from Joplin MO to Tulsa OK will take you on I-44. But you can drag the route to Historic U.S. 66 and it will take you through Galena KS, Baxter Springs KS, Quapaw OK, Commerce OK and Miami OK where there are a lot of Route 66 sights.

If you have a Garmin GPS, the gdb site has separate files for each state with all sorts of extra files but you only need the westbound main route file for each state. I can send you the modified files.

Right now, http://www.historic66.com/ is down but not sure why. Has never been down before

Spyder Nation POW*MIA SE5

irish2themax screwed with this post 04-13-2010 at 04:04 PM
irish2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 381
Route 66 in Amboy, Ca

Here are a few pics of route 66 near Amboy, CA (Twentynine Palms Area) I recently went through:

Look out for the Law:
Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #25
vespacar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Funny, I've been on parts of these routes but never thought that they'd go coast to coast. Thanks for opening up my eyes!! I'm in the beginning stages of planning a route 66/ Pacific coast Hwy trip in a few years time, so it's nice to have a few more options open.

Cheers,
Tross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrick View Post
Here are some links that might help,

Lincoln Highway, http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/

Grand Army of the Republic, http://www.route6tour.com/

Route 20, http://www.usroute20.com/

Well its a start and good luck.
vespacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,412
Me and some buddies did it a few years ago, it was an awesome trip
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #27
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I was first on almost all of that road many years ago, like probably before many of you were born, or in some cases, your parents. In those days there was no interstate, and it all came on line slowly. A bit of interstate here and there.
It was a hassle. 2 lane all the way. Not unusual to get behind some old slow moving truck or bus and crawl along with no a/c (none available in those days), and no chance to pass.
Or only to pass and get some speed only to run into some small hick town with a speed limit of 25 or 15, and you know they got law to back it up.
The motels were over priced and dirty. The diners were over priced and had good food for the locals, but the traveler, well, they figured you would never be back anyway.
There was dust and dirt, and heat.
There is still some of the road out there, parts here and there.
I believe there is a Route 66 museum, or several, and a Route 66 association, or several. Check the internet and your local library and you will find many books, and maps and guides.
But take my word for it, the good old days were not that good.
There is a lot to be said for modern conveniences.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #28
vespacar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzitti View Post
I rode with this group in 02 and had an excellent time.
http://www.hhjm.com/rally/details.htm

They do the ride every year. The dates this year are June 14 -21. You can run it either Ease or West. I ran with the big crowd from Chicago to Santa Monica, then rode home solo on a different route.

They also sell the maps, so you could do it anytime yourself. Just click on the "products" link. I've loaned my maps out in the past to friends that have wanted to make the ride and those maps served all them very well.

Good luck! Sounds like a great trip for you and your Dad. I'm looking forward to riding it with my sons one day.

Thanks for this link, just what I'm looking for. Looks like a great group of people out having a good time. This just went to the top of my list.

Cheers,
Tross
vespacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #29
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 438
I did a write up on just a 50 mile section of R66. Pre-planning, research and starting out with a stop at a museum in the vicinity of the ride were key.

Here is the link to my story:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post17486859

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #30
Solo Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
Not true...there is a LOT of Route 66 left.

I am taking the trip next month...and then some..with two other retirees.

These are the resources I used:
GPS units, 8 map Route 66 series, Illustrated Guidebook to the Mother Road, EZ66 Guide for Travelers, Google Maps, Garmin gdb files, various Internet sites especially Legends of Americaand The Mother Road: Historic Route 66

Google Maps has the sections of Historic Route 66 marked...just select Directions and enter the various destinations for each leg. Then click& drag route to Historic Rout 66

Eg: Google maps from Joplin MO to Tulsa OK will take you on I-44. But you can drag the route to Historic U.S. 66 and it will take you through Galena KS, Baxter Springs KS, Quapaw OK, Commerce OK and Miami OK where there are a lot of Route 66 sights.

If you have a Garmin GPS, the gdb site has separate files for each state with all sorts of extra files but you only need the westbound main route file for each state. I can send you the modified files.

Right now, http://www.historic66.com/ is down but not sure why. Has never been down before
great info - thx