Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #166
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
demonstrating the effect shifting your weight has on the balance point of the rig

RedMenace screwed with this post 09-23-2008 at 09:01 PM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #167
lblampman
old n00b

Oddometer: 28
Hi Red Menace,

I've been chatting in the background with Tony the Tiger about his rig.

I'm leaving October 5th from my home on Whidbey Island and flying down to Arizona to pick up a new-to-me 1983 R100RT. I have thoughts of making this into a sidecar outfit (which is a long time desire).

I wanted to get some instruction before committing (or being committed) and he *strongly* recommended your class so here's hoping you'll post something here when you've laid out your schedule about when your classes will start next spring...I'll be there! (maybe more than once... )

Thanks for all the photos and good words...

2012 Yamaha XT250
lblampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #168
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I will certainly post the new schedule here, but it won't be set until December at the earliest. I have some stuff to figure out and the Community Ed catalog doesn't come out until after March. I expect I will have the first class sometime around May.I hope to offer 3 S/TEP classes and some tours next near. I didn't come anywhere near to filling the 5 classes I had this year; it doesn't make good economic sense to offer that many again.
VW
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #169
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

My brother took this shot of his son, Jonathan, during class Sunday. Jon really liked the Suzuki! I think Andy is doubting the wisdom of letting this genie out of the bottle so soon...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #170
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

some more pix of Jon

This kid grew up in Hong Kong. He hadn't even driven a car prior to the class! I can't tell you how impressed I was with his demeanor and his progress over the weekend!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #171
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,627
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblampman
Hi Red Menace,

I've been chatting in the background with Tony the Tiger about his rig.

...hoping you'll post something here when you've laid out your schedule about when your classes will start next spring...I'll be there! (maybe more than once... )

Thanks for all the photos and good words...
heh - trust me once will be enough!

Les - if you want to check out my RT/Ural you're more than welcome to come down and see it. Maybe I'll let you putt around a nearby lot (emphasis on putt) if'n I get to know ya well enough . But like I said, before plunkin' down a butt load o'money, taking one of these classes (RM's or ESC's) is a worthy investment to find out if it's what you want to do...

RM - nice shots of the nephew! Too bad we didn't have a bandit to play on the weekend I was down there.
Cheers!
TT
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #172
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Monica getting things started

Jane and Kyle(Jane is from Alaska and is freinds with Chris Dodson, editor of Hack'd magazine).

Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #173
lblampman
old n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I will certainly post the new schedule here, but it won't be set until December at the earliest. I have some stuff to figure out and the Community Ed catalog doesn't come out until after March. I expect I will have the first class sometime around May.I hope to offer 3 S/TEP classes and some tours next near. I didn't come anywhere near to filling the 5 classes I had this year; it doesn't make good economic sense to offer that many again.
VW
Thank you sir!

I'll be watching...

2012 Yamaha XT250
Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #174
lblampman
old n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
heh - trust me once will be enough!

Les - if you want to check out my RT/Ural you're more than welcome to come down and see it. Maybe I'll let you putt around a nearby lot (emphasis on putt) if'n I get to know ya well enough . But like I said, before plunkin' down a butt load o'money, taking one of these classes (RM's or ESC's) is a worthy investment to find out if it's what you want to do...

RM - nice shots of the nephew! Too bad we didn't have a bandit to play on the weekend I was down there.
Cheers!
TT
Thanks Tony,

I'll be in touch when I get back from my trip. I definitely want to see and talk to you more in depth about your rig.

2012 Yamaha XT250
Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #175
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Andy shot this video during one of the braking exercises

Old 02-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #176
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

STEP classes 2009

Adventure Sidecar Novice S/TEP classes for the 2009 season will be available through Hood River Community Education on the following weekends:

May 8, 9 & 10

June 19,20 & 21

July 17,18 & 19

August 7,8 & 9

The course fee is $225 Registration opens in March

Prior motorcycle experience is not needed for the novice class. We will cover basic motorcycle operation as part of the class. You must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver’s license to take the class. If you are under 18 years old you must have a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian. Each class is limited to 12 students for safety and quality reasons.

You may take the class using your sidecar or trike or one of ours. If you choose to use your own rig for the class, you must have proof of insurance and the machine must be in a safe operating condition.

Be aware the driving exercises will be conducted on a grass lot.

These classes are offered through the Hood River Community Education Program. To register call . Because of insurance requirements, this course of instruction requires pre-registration and prepayment.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #177
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 369
Sweet, now I can schedule around those dates!
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #178
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Starting to gear up for this season. Been very frustrating on the one hand: I had hoped to be able to offer tours and advanced classes or seminars by now, but I just can not find insurance.

On the other hand, interest in the S/TEP classes remain high and I continue to enjoy doing them. I currently have a Suzuki Bandit 600 rig and three KLR 650s to use for class. I am in the process of putting together a fourth KLR rig, with a Sputnik that Jay Giese helped me get. Jay,of Dauntless Motors, is also donating a complete set of KLR mounts for this rig. The Dauntless mounts are top notch and I really appreciate the donation!

I plan to do the Blackdog rally again this June and do some more teaching videos this summer. Even without the tours it promises to be a very busy, funfilled summer!

Andy came up Saturday afternoon and helped me work on the engine for the fourth KLR
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #179
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Lodging in Hood River

If you are coming from out of town, it is a good idea to get your hotel reservations early-things fill up quickly in Hood River, particularly in the summer. I've just posted some info about lodging on my website:

http://adventuresidecar.com/?page_id=153
Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #180
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Thanks for the info, Red Menace.
I'll try to get in on the May session.
Is bringing my own monkey optional?