Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
...AND a question:
Is there an advanced class or reduced cost option if you're already a licensed operator?
Yes, I'm still a n00b, having only gotten my license last year and piloting a rig since SEP 07... but the stuff about turn signals, PPE etc is well ingrained through years of motorcycling.

...just wonderin' - thanks!
Tony, I decided not to offer the "advanced" class this year. I feel it is not much of a bargain.

The Advanced class is just the second half of the novice class. The main difference between the advanced and novice class is you don't get to do the exercises with a passenger in the sidecar. You get about half the seat time in the advanced class and you still have to sit through the safety chapters, the following distance and don't drink and drive, don't drive like a Bozo stuff. This is true for all the S/TEP classes regardless who teaches them-it's built into the curriculum.

I find that it is helpful to have some old hands in with the raw noobs for these chapters-you can help share your experience and insights with the beginners and you may even find some useful reminders or new perspectives reviewing the material. I try to make it fun. If the class seems to know the stuff we go over it quickly and move on, but we do need to cover it.

I've structured my classes with extra time, over that which is normally alloted for the course. This gives me some flexibility, allowing us to identify and focus on the students' specific needs and interests while still covering each step of the course material. This extra time is almost always spent riding, but if you guys would rather talk, we can do that too

Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #17
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
TAKE VERNON'S CLASS!!

I did- it was great. Very good teacher :) Very good experience!

btw, I lOVE the photo- hilarious!

"I'm starting to enjoy the simple things in life. And it's freaking me out!" -Crozb

Life shrinks or expands according to your courage

"Just send it to me in HTML, and I will render it as I see fit." -Codewheeny
Kural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Our first class this season is coming up May 30~June 1. Been working hard the past 3 weeks getting the rigs in shape. Started setting out the field marks last night, still have 3-4 hours of measuring and putting marks down before I finish laying out the range. Monica is coming down this weekend to help me get the paperwork together and dig out all the class room and field supplies.

Been too busy to do much riding lately, but the KLR 685 I got from Larryboy is sweet and I put a new Sputnik on another KLR and modified the clutch for easier use- these are gonna be fun rigs to use in class!

Adventure Sidecar will offer the Novice S/TEP class on the following weekends:

May 30, 31 , & June 1, 2008
June 27, 28 & 29, 2008
July 18, 19 & 20, 2008
August 8, 9, & 10, 2008
September 19, 20 & 21, 2008
The course fee is $225
These classes are offered through the Hood River Community Education Program. To register call (541)386 2055

find more information at our website adventuresidecar.com

RedMenace screwed with this post 05-22-2008 at 07:29 AM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #19
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Sidecar tarining near Monreal.

Anybody know any any classes not too far from Montreal?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Burton Briggs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Redmenace,

Speaking of learning to drive the hack rig, I took my wife down to the local church parking lot and turned her loose on the rig. (R1100 GS with ural). Her problem is that her hand is small and cannot 'feather' the clutch smoothly. Any suggestions on how to narrow the gap between the handle bar and the clutch lever? (non adjustable cable activated clutch).
Thanks
Burton
Burton Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton Briggs
Redmenace,

Speaking of learning to drive the hack rig, I took my wife down to the local church parking lot and turned her loose on the rig. (R1100 GS with ural). Her problem is that her hand is small and cannot 'feather' the clutch smoothly. Any suggestions on how to narrow the gap between the handle bar and the clutch lever? (non adjustable cable activated clutch).
Thanks
Burton

I am not very familiar with the R1100. Normally I would adjust a little extra slack in the clutch cable. I don't think I have ever seen a non adjustable clutch cable. If that is really the case perhaps you can fit adjustable levers from another bike or aftermarket dog leg levers to reduce the distance between the lever and the grip? You might get a lever from a wreckers and put a torch to it to bend it back a little and see if you can make something work. Sometimes changing the position of the hand and/or wrist can also get a bit more reach. Thinner grips might also help.

does your clutch lever and cable look like this?

RedMenace screwed with this post 05-22-2008 at 11:19 PM
Old 05-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #22
Burton Briggs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
The clutch assembly does look like the one in the pic. I will try looseing the adjustment a little. Still want to get enough excursion to completely disengage the clutch during shifting however. Thanks.
Burton
Burton Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #23
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,194
Only a week to go before the first 2008 class, and my buddy and I are stoked! Vernon, I hope you have lots of patience stored up, as neither of us have ever piloted a rig, but have 40 years of motorcycling experience each. I guess we'll see if it is truly possible to teach old dogs new tricks, eh?

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #24
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Only a week to go before the first 2008 class, and my buddy and I are stoked! Vernon, I hope you have lots of patience stored up, as neither of us have ever piloted a rig, but have 40 years of motorcycling experience each. I guess we'll see if it is truly possible to teach old dogs new tricks, eh?
Not only is it possible it will be fun! See you soon!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #25
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Not only is it possible it will be fun! See you soon!
Be prepared to have about as much fun as you can have in public with your clothes on ......

Too bad you're not offering the advanced class, Vernon. Katherine an I would have come down and flipped your new KLR for you too....

You know that you really should develop your own 'advanced, off-road sidecar techniques' course - I can't think of anyone else who could legitimately teach such a course, unless it was the folks from Hogwild Racing - and they're just a BIT too advanced....

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #26
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jim
Be prepared to have about as much fun as you can have in public with your clothes on ......

Too bad you're not offering the advanced class, Vernon. Katherine an I would have come down and flipped your new KLR for you too....

You know that you really should develop your own 'advanced, off-road sidecar techniques' course - I can't think of anyone else who could legitimately teach such a course, unless it was the folks from Hogwild Racing - and they're just a BIT too advanced....

Cheers

Jim
it's in the works along with tours, hopefully next year. It will be a bit more expensive (the S/TEP classes are a bargain!)but I hope to make it worth every penny
Old 05-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #27
lil bean
Russian Rider

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Here's the site: http://adventuresidecar.com/index.html

I have heard great things about the training, and plan to sign up once the 2008 class schedule is posted.

I'll be taking the course in July and can't wait to learn some moves. Still not sure if I will be taking my Gear-Up or not. I Would love to learn moves on my Gear-Up because these hacks seem to be taller then others I've seen and I want to learn the feeling with the rig I ride. I have less then 900KM under my belt so I guess I'll see how I feel about the 2-3 hr. ride to Hood River in July.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
antsaint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Man oh man, all youz taking Vernon's class are going to have a great time. Work in some camping too - there's great camping all around Hood River. When Jodie and I were up there in July, we stayed at the Tucker County Park (541) 386-4477, about a 5-10 minute drive from the course range.

If any a youz on here are still on the fence, go sign up. If you're kicking around a sidecar rig but aren't sure, when you're done with the class you will know whether or not sidecar'ing is for you.
Antsaint - Food, the Web, Writing & Eugene, Oregon
http://www.antsaint.com/
antsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #29
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Monica and I were out messing around on one of the bikes Memorial Day(Damn! I still need to wash the mud off before class this weekend!). She doesn't know I put this together

Warrior Princess from Adventure Sidecar on Vimeo.

RedMenace screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 11:38 AM
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #30
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Question Sidecar Classes in the American Southwest?

Hola,

Does anyone know of sidecar classes offered in New Mexico, Arizona, anywhere else in the American Southwest?

ThanX,

Ace

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote