User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Doug Mo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
The eagle has landed!!!!

Yes, I'm still fuzzy after last night, BUT, The creation that Mr. Woody has created for Mark and I too thrash are on the HP!! Mounted up a set of deserts on Saturday and did the final prep before we load the bikes up on Tuesday. I'll say this, the front is substantially lighter than the other Stock/woody conversion that I had built up and the rear is noticably lighter also. The machine work if first rate and the design has a lot of thought put into the hubs. Won't have a chance to try the bike out until we get down to South Carolina on Thursday. Hope to get a few miles in and also brake in the front rotor for the Rally on Saturday. Woody and his crew came through with a tight timeline and many thanks to his organization!! first rate stuff, I have had two sets of wheels built by them and they are worth every penny, top shelf components!!! Mark and I will report form the hotel after a few shakedown runs!! going to be a hoot!!!
Doug Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #17
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
Houston calling.....Fly well and far,,,,10-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mo
Yes, I'm still fuzzy after last night, BUT, The creation that Mr. Woody has created for Mark and I too thrash are on the HP!! Mounted up a set of deserts on Saturday and did the final prep before we load the bikes up on Tuesday. I'll say this, the front is substantially lighter than the other Stock/woody conversion that I had built up and the rear is noticably lighter also. The machine work if first rate and the design has a lot of thought put into the hubs. Won't have a chance to try the bike out until we get down to South Carolina on Thursday. Hope to get a few miles in and also brake in the front rotor for the Rally on Saturday. Woody and his crew came through with a tight timeline and many thanks to his organization!! first rate stuff, I have had two sets of wheels built by them and they are worth every penny, top shelf components!!! Mark and I will report form the hotel after a few shakedown runs!! going to be a hoot!!!
super...now have that hoot of a good time,,we're all waiting,,,

,,,woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Doug and crew, feel free to report how things are going with testing when you call in to RallyRAIDio.net

(some publicity return on investment for you, Woody!)

Nate

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

congrats to team Superlite/Max BMW

just plugged in last weeks Sandblast rallye results and WOW ya'll did well

looks like Mark Albertson got a second place in the P-1 class his buudy Steve Mauk a 5th and Doug Morrison also got a second in yhe Kings class...all on HP-2s

am curious how it all went....

woody
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
Doug Mo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Woodies Wheels Rocked

Sorry, to take this long to report in, but what a day, Mark had a great ride and I faired not too bad myself, Those HP-2's are a monster of a dirt bike and in those 90's are a real handful to scrub off speed and get them pointed in the right direction for the next run up around 100 MPH. First, for Woodies sake, Victor from Xplor took a bunch of pictures of your creation on our HP's, I'll see if Mark can get him too post some up. The Wheels, well one word, Perfect, especially the front, noticable improvement all around, the rear is a little jewel and gave the HP's that Works Woody Look.

I had a number of instances where I could not slow the bike down after running down the straights, went either through or under the caution ribbon and had to blast that beast back over some preety hairy stuff. The wheels took all the abuse I could give em,

I had a coil begin to fail on me in stage 4 and lost the left cylinder completely in stage 5, luckily Ben had a magnificient endo in stage 1 and we quickly diagnosed and removed the good componets from his bike during the Cheraw Service. Got the "Buffalo" up on all two woodies wheels and was back in the hunt, but too late and brought the HP home 9th overall.

Next is Rally Tenn, and I'll be running woodies motar set up that I had him build last year, In the meantime I'm going to try an outdoor motocross event in New York with the Rally Setup and let ya know how they fair under those conditions.

Woodie, all good, and great stuff!!!!!!
Doug Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #21
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Sandblast Rally re-cap and product review by Team MAXBMW Rally Moto

February10, 2008
Sandblast Rally Post-Event Re-cap
Woody's Wheelworks Billet off-road Wheelset
Team Max BMW Doug Morrison #59 / Mark Albertson #60

I would first like to say the craftsmanship and appearance of these wheels was unmatched by any off road wheel I have ever seen. The beautiful billet hubs and beefy oversized spokes laced to the tried an true excel rims were a site to behold. Now on to the most important part,

PERFORMANCE

The weight savings of the wheels were easily felt. The ability to guide the HP2 through the deep South Carolina sand was much improved. The combination of light weight and the more narrow profile of the excel rim and the pinching of the Michelin Desert tire to a normal off-road profile,aided in turning the long wheel based HP2 greatly. They also seemed to float across the sand with much less tendency to plow as turns were approached at very high rates of speed. Weight was once again very noticeable here. The 18"rim diameter on the rear, rolled with a much improved ride quality over the stock 17". I ran 23 psi on both the front and rear.The tire choice has often been given as a reason to switch to the 18', but I feel just as the 29" mountain bike tire provides a larger contact patch, while also rolling over rough terrain with greater ease, the 18' wheel for the HP2 duplicates this feeling equally. Now on to

DURABILITY

These wheels were thrashed at this event and remain straight as an arrow. The wheels spent most of the day navigating deep sand, square-edged clay and full-lock slides at a very high rate of speed. Most of the stages averaged around 60 mph with an indicated 110 (some wheelspin) at one point in the event. In closing, the wheels proved to be a strong advantage over the stock BMW set-up in all situations encountered, The only problem I experienced was rubbing on the shock guard for the first 5 minutes as the larger diameter rear wheel worked itself into place.

I would highly recommend this set- up to any one taking the BMW HP2 off road.

The results achieved by the team were very strong.

Mark Albertson 2nd in Production 1 and 5th overall.
Doug Morrison 2nd in Kings( Modified) and 9th overall in spite of a bad coil leaving his HP2 on 1 cylinder for the better part of an entire stage.
All but one of the 4 KTM Factory Dakar bikes were surpassed by the Max BMW Team of Morrison / Albertson.

Thank you very, very much for your help in building us a great set of wheels. I have attached a file with some photos of our set-up. More pictures will follow.

Sincerely,

Doug Morrison
Mark Albertson

Team MAXBMW Rally Moto

PS....100 pair of these hubs are in the works right now,,let us know what colors you'd like,,,it was worth all the time and TLC put into this project

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-20-2008 at 01:23 PM
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #22
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
PM sent ...

Robb
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #23
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

doug morrison's mid race-season SUPERLITE wheel test report

Thread Tools [IMG]images/misc/menu_open.gif[/IMG] Search this Thread [IMG]images/misc/menu_open.gif[/IMG] Rate Thread [IMG]images/misc/menu_open.gif[/IMG] Display Modes [IMG]images/misc/menu_open.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/post_old.gif[/IMG] Today, 06:30 AM #77
Doug Mo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148

Rally West Virginy

Yo, Woody, well you asked me to try to trash your wheels and a mid summers status report is due. First, these puppies are pissah!!!!! Stronger than the rocks that I just raced on in the West Virginia Rally and they are showing no signs of needing any spoke adjustment. They work and allow the HP-2 (Buffalo) to steer a little easier than the stock set up. I still need to work on a perfect suspension set-up but I am close. In one stage, on top of a ridge there was a fast road section with about a three foot creast, after getting used to it on the first run through (sighting run) I went off that thing over 90 mph and the big HP just sailed along with quite a impact when I landed, if anything was going to break, that would of been the time. Nothing, not even a flex out em, my ass flexed abit but that's another story. So, bottom line had a good run, can't run with ELY on the Aprilia. He's not in the same weight class as the buffalo. I am building up a 07 Husaberg 550 FS and will be needing your expertise on a set of wheels. I'm taking the supermoto platform and converting it for Rallymoto. I want to use the big motor with some fine tuning for the series next year, also want to run the stock caliper and rotor. This may require some off-set work and milling of the caliper to attain the minimum clearence for the 21 inch spoke angles. We can discuss this and choice of hubs. But, for the remainder of the season the Big HP will be out their throwing rocks and digging trenches. Next one up is Black River Stages in western New Yorik, this is a fun and very fast rally, Mark Alberston and I saw over 105 mph on the powerline section last year, like to top that this year, and with your wheels this goal is very attainable, ran the stock 21/17 set up last year with the worst tire selection ever. This year will be different. Again, Woody and Chris!!!! top notch stuff, Rally On!!

"I buy Bikes from people that should not own them and sell them to people that should"

Many BMWs
82 Krauser MKM 4 valve head
91 MotoGuzzi 1000S
97 Ducati 900 SS/SP
97.5 KTM Jackpiner
07 KTM 450
07 Husaberg 550 FS
01 Honda 250 CRE
72 Penton Six Days
And some old Hondas and BMW's waiting for me to retire, so they can run again!