User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Alternate Turn Signals for late model R100GS

I did a "conversion" on my '89 GS and am now running the late model fairing which I really like. I'm not a big fan of the turn signals, though. they are perfectly placed to be sheared off by every single object I might get close to when offroad. I was thinking of replacing them with an aftermarket, low profile indicator. I'm not super worried about DOT compliance since they don't do inspections in this state, and I'll keep the original signals incase I wind up somewhere that they do. This set is sort of what I'm looking for but would like a few more options. Ideas?

Anyone else done this to a GS fairing?
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,547
I run hand guards with the turn signals intergrated into the hand protectors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
I run hand guards with the turn signals intergrated into the hand protectors...
I've seen that solution. As I don't yet have any handguards that would be about perfect. How do you handle interference between the handguards and the windscreen? Seems like handguards would contact the windscreen when close to full lock. And if you don't mind my asking: which handguard solution did you go with, or did you fabricate your own?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I've seen that solution. As I don't yet have any handguards that would be about perfect. How do you handle interference between the handguards and the windscreen? Seems like handguards would contact the windscreen when close to full lock. And if you don't mind my asking: which handguard solution did you go with, or did you fabricate your own?
Acerbis used to make a version of the Rallye handguards that had integrated t/s... I've bought a few pairs off of eBay and used those on my current R80G/S, as well as the R100GS I had before... they worked find on the R100GS, no issues with the windscreen.

Here they are on my G/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 483
I know that some folks have utilized something like you've got pictured attached to the OEM style handgards (which also won't interfere with the windscreen) - Jenna (hardwaregrrl) did before she and the ground got into a little disagreement at the Sandblast Rally last year and she could comment on it more I'm sure. Below are couple pics from her thread that shows it somewhat.

As many will tell you I'm sure - the OEM handgards are more "windbreak/small branch guards" vs. big branch/rock/ground guards.

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the turn signals, though. they are perfectly placed to be sheared off by every single object I might get close to when offroad.
Or onroad... I've killed one on the doorframe while wrestling the bike into the shed.

I do like the look of the original blinkers though, especially how they always hang down a bit, seems to define the look of the PD fairing to me.

I've replaced the front stalks with flexible ones from the rear. They need a small mod to work, nothing that can't be done with a cordless drill though. They're also bloody expensive, but they just look "right".
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming chicken View Post
i do like the look of the original blinkers though, especially how they always hang down a bit, seems to define the look of the pd fairing to me.
+2
Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,818
I have these now...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I got them from Hyperlites
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

So, I found these low-profile Western Powersports turn signals at Motorcycle Superstore for $15. They were surprisingly good quality. You can see the little tab I made to attach it to the existing stanchion inside the fairing.

I think I prefer the look and they're definitely less prone to damage and far, far cheaper to replace. They'll also generate much less turbulence at speed.

The fairing is slightly curved while the product is flat leaving a small gap at the rear. Not 100% satisfied with the fit but I'm going to go with it for a while and see how it holds up. I'm also going to extend the interface tab so it attaches at two points instead of just one to keep it from rotating.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,311
How about fitting a pair of VW semaphore turnsignals to your helmet?

Very Teutonic...

Still made as retro/repro-items

But wait, there's more... available with smart low-current LEDs

You'd be the talk of the town.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 09:03 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I like these, expensive but very durable, machined aluminium and will flex in all direction, brand is Koso

Brand is Koso
'81 R80G/S: WP4860 KTM front end
'91 R100GS, bumble bee
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
etj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
So, I found these low-profile Western Powersports turn signals at Motorcycle Superstore for $15. They were surprisingly good quality. You can see the little tab I made to attach it to the existing stanchion inside the fairing.

I think I prefer the look and they're definitely less prone to damage and far, far cheaper to replace. They'll also generate much less turbulence at speed.

The fairing is slightly curved while the product is flat leaving a small gap at the rear. Not 100% satisfied with the fit but I'm going to go with it for a while and see how it holds up. I'm also going to extend the interface tab so it attaches at two points instead of just one to keep it from rotating.

I love the overall look. Is the base rubber? If so, can you dremel the light itself to give it a more flush look? That might reduce rotation too.
etj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etj View Post
I love the overall look. Is the base rubber? If so, can you dremel the light itself to give it a more flush look? That might reduce rotation too.
The base is actually steel with a rubber rand around the edge. The plastic cover is held on by two screws. Surprisingly high quality for $15. You must have read my mind. I can bend the steel base a little to fit the curve of the fairing. I think then I can use the curved edge of a belt sander with some 220 grit paper to get plenty close to the curved metal base. The rubber seal would take out any small imperfections in the shape. I'm going to try it as soon as I get done with my current project: moving my three sons in to Auburn for fall semester on Tuesday. Empty nest for the first time since 1993.