Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #76
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
Not sure about this, guy I bought it from used the word Rennsport. That said I did check the number but I don't recall, but I think it was a 336 stamped on the end.
Snowbum briefly talks about it hear: Mods.

At any rate, my bike kicks in at about 4Krpm like no other airhead I ever rode. It's a real blast to ride.
That's right. The 336 cams for bikes made after '79 had 336 stamped on the end. Stock 308 cams have 308 stamped on the end.

What sort of top end are you using on your bike? iirc, US model R100GS's and PD's used a small valve head and 32mm carbs. Is that the arangement on your PD? Have you done anything to increase compression over stock? These motors really cry out for more compression and heavier breathing.

With the 1050cc Venolias and modded '77 RS heads I'm running about 12:1 cr. With the stock cam it'll idle up a wall.

The high lift, short duration Andrew's cam should increase the midrange urge even further. I'll keep you posted.

fwiw,
Lornce

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 01:26 AM
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #77
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
A pair of Jesse bags arrived in the mail the other day and reminded me I've still got a GS/PD disemboweled in the basement.

Stay tuned, things are gonna start happening around here.

Someone loan Flug an airhead until he figures it out.

Are those new bags for your GSPD ? Any pics?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #78
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Jesse Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatc9988
Are those new bags for your GSPD ? Any pics?
They'll probably work even better on the bike.

btw, the build quality of these Jesse bags is astounding. I haven't seen another ally pannier that comes close to the robust design and attention to detail of these pieces. (Micatechs look interesting, but I've not seen any in the metal).

Factory pannier systems don't match up and costs are similar. +1 for the Jesse equipment. Very nice people to deal with, too.

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 12:00 AM
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #79
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
They'll probably work even better on the bike.

btw, the build quality of these Jesse bags is astounding. I haven't seen another ally pannier that comes close to the robust design and attention to detail of these pieces. (Micatechs look interesting, but I've not seen any in the metal).

Factory pannier systems don't match up and costs are similar. +1 for the Jesse equipment. Very nice people to deal with, too.
Hey thanks for the photo. I didn't know you could still get the Jesses for an R100. I have an older style on mine.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #80
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatc9988
Hey thanks for the photo. I didn't know you could still get the Jesses for an R100. I have an older style on mine.
I didn't know either. They don't advertise them on their website so I called and learned they occasionaly build small batches if they have enough demand.

I really can't say enough about them. There's NOThing out there to compare with this sort of build quality. The closer you look at them the more you'll appreciate the thought and experience and effort that's gone into them.

The spring racks to secure loads inside the lids are a perfect example: a clever idea executed in a simple fuctional manner that'll work for years. The hinges and latches are similarly original and clever - and robust.

I like this stuff.

Lornce

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 12:01 AM
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #81
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Update of ongoing and belated R100GS/PD rebuild...

Here's a pic of the big end bearings that show signs of slight wear through to the lower layers of material (copper, i think?) on the thrust side of the bearing.

At 240k kms, I dion't think this level of wear is beyond what could be expected.

However, I am wondering if the uber-high compression ratio (approx 12:1) might contribute to accelerated bearing wear as it must certainly increase bearing pressures - especially at low revs when oil pressure is not particularly high.

The bike, in this engine configuration, will idle up just about anywhere it'll get traction. Hmmmn, maybe I should check the new shells every 20 or 30k kms just to see how they hold up?

Lornce screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 03:46 PM
Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #82
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Bearing Support Puller Widget...

Here's the ultra sophisticated tool I used to extract the front main bearing support from the engine block.

Should I patent the design?

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 01:20 AM
Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #83
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
I didn't know either. They don't advertise them on their website so I called and learned they occasionaly build small batches if they have enough demand.

I really can't say enough about them. There's NOThing out there to compare with this sort of build quality. The closer you look at them the more you'll appreciate the thought and experience and effort that's gone into them.

The spring racks to secure loads inside the lids are a perfect example: a clever idea executed in a simple fuctional manner that'll work for years. The hinges and latches are similarly original and clever - and robust.

I like this stuff.

Lornce
Nice bags and I am impressed at the speed with which you are tackling this project. Owning a PD myself I am really enjoying this thread.

BTW - I got some of the "old school" Jesse bags a few years ago. Your have some of the nice updates but paying 650 for a blemished set was right on!

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #84
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

I like sophisticated engineering solutions.

Here you can see the main bearing housing spezial puller tool #15c serving double duty to hold the crank in position until I torque up the clutch carrier out back.

Failing to do this (secure the crank position in the block) can permit the crank to move forward and allow inner rear thrust bearing to fall off it's locating pins, which will cause "problems" and "issues". Speaking euphemistically...

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 01:20 AM
Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #85
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

A similar level of sophistication is utilised to secure the clutch carrier while torquing the crankshaft bolts.

Interestingly, this procedure is done with lightly oiled threads. ie: bolt stretch is somewhat higher than the 76ft/lb torque spec might suggest.

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 01:22 AM
Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #86
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

In keeping with the theme of spetzialised und sophisticated tooling... Here's an ideal drift to reseat the crankshaft nose bearing.

3/4" drive is essential for clearance on the crank taper.

Lornce screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 01:22 AM
Old 06-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #87
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

I'm nearly there.

Engine, trans, charging system, starter, ignition etc. all went in this evening.

Tomorrow it's the swingarm, driveshaft, final drive, exhaust plumbing, carbs etc. Hope to have it fired up and running for a break-in ride before the day's out.

Wish me luck. It's been nearly eleven months since I last rode the old horse and I'm looking forward to enjoying it again.

ciao.
Lorenzo
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #88
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,527
Has it been that long? The whole thing kinda happened under the radar
Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #89
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

The radar timed out.

How did your overhaul work out?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #90
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,527
Quote:
The radar timed out.

How did your overhaul work out?

An Unqualified success. Runs really well. Raced it in a motocross race about two weeks/500 miles after rebuild, and have put over 2K on it since. Its fuel and oil consumption has gone down and down, respectively. Anton did a really admirable job.

I was looking forward to seeing actual mechanics being done here, although you tell a fine yarn Pics are great.