User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Hipster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Bag Liners for Jesse Bags

I have 8" Jesse Odyssey bags and I'm looking for low cost bag liners. I looked into Helen of Two Wheel liners but, I don't want to spend a $176 on liners. Any other options, cheap stuff sacks?
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Cheap liners

Well, its low tech but I have just been using the new "green" bags you can get at groceries store now. $1 each, lightweight material and have handles. I just use two of those per case. Not pretty, but cheap.

I am interested to hear what others say though, because I would like something that fits the cases.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
UncleHowie
Dances with Buffalo

Oddometer: 405
I have Kathy's liners from Bob's BMW. There's certainly nothing wrong with them, but I could get along OK without them. On a trip, I often have other stuff in my saddlebags that stays outside of the liners. This negates the advantages of having a liner that fits the shape "perfectly."

I do find the lid liners to be pretty nice. I keep repair/emergency type stuff in them- it's close by, but out of the way.

I would buy the lid liners again. For the main bags, I'd look hard at a few stuff sacks, or perhaps square toiletries bags available at discount stores. There are also various "packing cubes" available from camping and travel stores that might also fit the bill well.

Happy shopping!
UncleHowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
corrado113
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I have Jesse's as well and am in the process of making my own stuff sacks. I was going to make two round sacks for each bag that were as tall as the Jesse's. I was thinking just a drawstring on the top to close it off. This would still allow easy access when they were in the cases as well as leaving some amount of room around the tops for other items such as a first aid kit. I purchased some 1000 Denier Cordura which I found to be too heavy duty for stuff sacks. I have since ordered some 500 Cordura which is hopefully light enough to be used for stuff sacks. Once I get some put together and have had a chance to try them out I'll repost with pics and results. If there is an interest in these I would probably be interested in selling a set for a reasonable price.
corrado113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
I got Kathy's liners when I got my bags and have found that I only use one of them. I put all of my clothing, toiletries, etc. in a Kathy bag in the right Jesse and put the tent, stove, etc. in the left bag. That way, if it's raining, I set up the tent and then all my clothes go into the tent dry instead of wet.

My left Kathy bag has been sitting in the garage since I got it.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
I did two things actually.

1 - went to the local Mountain Equip Co-op - hiking store and bought some simple roll top waterproof bags that fit the Jesses almost perfectly. They offer a good durable bag which is waterproof if I need it out of the cases...

2 - I bought some Cordura Ballistic Nylon online and sewed some up myself - they are just big cubes and where a snap to sew - I bought some nylon strapping and a zipper and in about 1 hour had two perfectly fitted made to order bags.
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,404
Go cheap

I have the 10" Jessee's and use the $6.00 duffel bags from Target or Wally world ( I forget which) They are about the right size/shape and drop right in.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Condolini
Fountain of useless info

Oddometer: 2,089
Employer gave us canvas shopping bags with long handles. I use 2 in each case. The price is right (hey, I'm Norwegian!)
Condolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
Swegen
BMW student

Oddometer: 154
FYI and FWIW. Just bought the Odysee's with the soft bags from Jesse(soft bags $125). there are 5 bags. 2 go in the covers, 1 large in right side, 1 slightly smaller for Left side with an additional velcro attached smaller bag. no review as I just got them a few days ago.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
I use those cloth or other material re-usable shopping sacks. for clothes and such. In the top, I have a set of the HOTW, packs I aquired from an inmate a long while ago, when he "modified" his Jesse's...

Paul uses a piece of custom cut cardboard under the lid clip thingy. That works preall nicely and as a table when the lid is open.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean
I did two things actually.

1 - went to the local Mountain Equip Co-op - hiking store and bought some simple roll top waterproof bags that fit the Jesses almost perfectly. They offer a good durable bag which is waterproof if I need it out of the cases
Disco- Do you happen to have the dimensions of those bags? I am assuming they are round, eh? I'm taking a bike/canoe trip and this sounds like a great dual solution. Any detail you could provide would be appreciated.
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
I only use the lid liner from kathy at bobsbmw, they work great and are the perfect fit for all the small and big stuff I cramp in them.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,848
This one belongs in Equipment.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,096
I bought cheapo saddlebag liners from JC Whitney for my Happy Trail boxes. They work great. Since the boxes are waterproof you only need liners for the ease of taking stuff in and out to a motel room or camp etc. No need to spend
$176.00 on liners. Many different sizes to choose from.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&
storeId=10101&sku=saddle+bag+liners

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Channing
Channing

Oddometer: 27
Jesse's and Liners

Hey you guys, so Im about to pull the trigger on some panniers here in the next day. I am debating between the Jesses now, and the Happy Trails. What do you think about the Jesses? What are the pros and cons?

Are the bag liners they sell online simply waterproof cases incase water gets in your boxes? Im confused about them? I love how some of you are sewing up your own, I bought my gf a fancy sewing machine but neither of us know how to use it...I guess making some bags could be a way to learn how to use the crazy contraption.... :)
Channing is offline   Reply With Quote