Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
alright, I'm a big fat pussy in the cold. I'm always looking for the ultimate solution and have yet to find it. I've had gerbings. I've had widder. I've had Aerostich. currently warm n safe. yes, they have fit, but, they don't keep me as warm as I hear folks bragging about! Maybe, that's all it is, Bragging!

Here's my typical setup. wicking shirt. warm n safe. sweater or fleece of some sort. darien jacket. For that, I'm good until mid 30's, and, that's with the warm n safe cranked to 11! Yes, I'm a southern california boy living in New England. I get cold. I hate cold, but, not enough to keep me off my bike!

OK, forget about the cold part for a minute. What impresses me about the new Tourmaster stuff is not the price. Or, the controllers that come with the gear, but, the FABRIC! I hate those wires. I hate the cheesy windbreaker material these other liners are made of. I feel like I've been wrapped with an extension cord over a cheap windbreaker from target.

Sooooooo, I'm very interested in the tourmaster stuff. Folks say they are HOT. Folks say GErbings and WnS are HOT, but, not for me! I want to fry. I want to actually turn it down and not have to continue layering! Is this the answer?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #17
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
You know, I'm surprised that nobody has done a scientific study about heated gear yet (at least, I've never heard of one). Seems easy enough. Put the gear on a manequin with a few thermocouples underneath at various locations. Turn the gear on full power. Measure the results. If you want to get fancy, take some pictures with a thermal camera. That would show evenness/pattern of heat.

Any magazines out there listening?
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
spraypilot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
alright, I'm a big fat pussy in the cold. I'm always looking for the ultimate solution and have yet to find it. I've had gerbings. I've had widder. I've had Aerostich. currently warm n safe. yes, they have fit, but, they don't keep me as warm as I hear folks bragging about! Maybe, that's all it is, Bragging!

Here's my typical setup. wicking shirt. warm n safe. sweater or fleece of some sort. darien jacket. For that, I'm good until mid 30's, and, that's with the warm n safe cranked to 11! Yes, I'm a southern california boy living in New England. I get cold. I hate cold, but, not enough to keep me off my bike!

OK, forget about the cold part for a minute. What impresses me about the new Tourmaster stuff is not the price. Or, the controllers that come with the gear, but, the FABRIC! I hate those wires. I hate the cheesy windbreaker material these other liners are made of. I feel like I've been wrapped with an extension cord over a cheap windbreaker from target.

Sooooooo, I'm very interested in the tourmaster stuff. Folks say they are HOT. Folks say GErbings and WnS are HOT, but, not for me! I want to fry. I want to actually turn it down and not have to continue layering! Is this the answer?
I have had the stitch heated liner under the darien jacket and I did not like it. Dunno just to heavy and stiff plus the wires felt like I was wrapped in barbwire !! I hope the tourmaster is the answer to the 30 deg cool. My package is suppose to be here Monday according to UPS so I will try it out and give a report Monday evening. If it works too well I might just keep riding
spraypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Rabbit_Fighter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Got my Synergy jacket in the mail yesterday. Wore it home last night, and on my way to work this morning. So far, so good. Construction seems pretty good and heat distribution is pretty even and nice. This is my first electric jacket, so I don't really have any experience to compare it with, but it was a very good deal.

Bought my from Tonker.com for $161 with free shipping. Ordered Monday, and it arrived Thursday.

Ironically, I'm really looking forward to using this in the Spring/Summer/Fall even more than winter. My commute is fairly urban and moderate speed, so my torso usually stays pretty warm with the fleece liner that came with the First Gear Kenya jacket I wear (paid $70 for it used and it has never leaked, even in hours of downpour). It is those cold summer mornings over the mountain passes that I am really looking forward to.
Rabbit_Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
Sparkdaddy
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
I have the vest and when I first went to use it the controller wasn't working. So I swapped controlers with my buddy who also has one and it worked fine on my vest and his vest. For whatever reason it is working now. I opted for the non v-neck version.

It was in the teens when I rode with it on the high setting and it rocked.
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
I can't believe I ever used to ride in sub-freezing (or even somewhat chilly) temps without heated gear. Several years ago, I made a vest from 25-feet of thin, insulated wire threaded through a construction-worker's safety vest. Then a couple of years later when that vest melted, I started using an old BMW vest. Picked up a synergy full jacket liner yesterday and based on initial impressions, I expect it to surpass the previous items. Will get to test it a little bit today as it's in the 30's outside - Warm enough that I suppose I COULD go without, but why not be comfortable? I expect it to keep me warm of course, but there are other considerations:

1) Style/fit/fabric, etc. - The synergy is lighter and thinner than the old BMW vest, even with the sleeves. Nowhere near as small as the home-made one however, which weighed almost nothing and I used to keep stuffed in a small ziploc bag in my tail trunk. You'll never be stylish with wires hanging out of your waistband but the synergy looks a lot better than most zip-out liners - like a black wind-breaker. You could certainly wear it by itself without embarrassment. It has a comfortable collar and a wide elastic panel down each side to keep it snug. The large size is comfortable on my 6', 195# body with a t-shirt and cotton turtleneck underneath. I tried the XL but it was way to big.

2) Price. - The synergy gear smokes all the others currently available in this regard. Especially when you consider it comes with a controller. I paid about $175, including taxes - Could have done better on-line but my local dealer let me try a few on, cut me some slack off the MSRP and will be there if I have any warranty issues. Also, they actually had one in stock, whereas most of the on-line sellers who claim to do so actually have only the vests available. Of course, my home-made vest only cost $7, plus about two or three hours of my time.

3) Comfort - Being adjustable will be a big bonus - both my previous heated clothes were either on or off as I'm too cheap to buy a controller (I know how to make one easily for about $15 though). Also, I had big issues with hot spots in both my home-made vest and the BMW vest (which burned my stomach, keeping me tugging at my jacket and squirming in the saddle for 600-miles while riding back to Louisiana from New Mexico in 50 F and pouring rain. The Synergy gives evenly distributed heat with no wires to create hot spots.

4) Reliability - This is the big unknown - However, I can say that the home-made vest melted because I made it a little too hot, then layered it UNDER too much other stuff and also because it was all-on or nothing so I left it on even when I knew it was overheating a bit. Never had a problem with the wiring or connections however :) The BMW had the same on-or-off issue and also broke several wires inside, having to be repaired several times - It had seen a LOT of use though. No data for the Synergy yet, obviously. The wiring LOOKS to be substantial and well-attached to the jacket. I will probably do some poking around to figure out the pinout in the temp controller connector so I know how to jump it should the controller fail - as I imagine that to be the most likely potential problem.

5) Power - At a rated 76 watts, the Synergy jacket is about the same as my home-made vest and quite a bit more than the BMW (45 or 50 watts IIRC). As such, I know my 1100GS can provide the necessary power easily but not so sure about my R80RT - might need to make some changes to free up a few amps if I plan on using the Synergy and heated grips while riding at night.

Off to the garage to swap my existing power connector for the Synergy socket - then a test of real-world performance!
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Thumb

I've been using the jacket liner for over a month now and I like it. It works perfect, for the price it can't be beat. The controller is ok with three settings. Like others have said I wish the glove connectors were longer. It packs well and I do believe it was a good purchase.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #23
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Does it have options like the Widder for sleeves that connect which then plug into gloves? The Widder set up is pretty good and has been reliable. Cold weather I wear it all.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #24
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
You can get either a vest-without-collar, vest-with-collar, or full jacket liner. Add-on sleeves for the vests are not available, although the full liner is thinner than others I have tried on so you may not need to use a vest for a compromise between warmth and freedom-of-movement.

I just went out for an hour's ride in temps warming through the 40's. Wearing my Kilimanjaro air mesh over the top (i.e. essentially no wind or cold protection except the Synergy) I was quite comfortable. In fact, as temps approached 50F, I had to turn the jacket down.

Noticed that the temp controller is not quite as easy to access as one on the handlebars would be - you have to look down to see what setting it is on - Still easier than fumbling down by your side though!

Happy so far!
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #25
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1
Does it have options like the Widder for sleeves that connect which then plug into gloves? The Widder set up is pretty good and has been reliable. Cold weather I wear it all.
I don't think you can add sleeves to the vest. The jacket liner does have plugs for the gloves.

As far as heat level goes; at 15 degrees my jacket liner kept me very warm on high and I ride a DR650 with no wind protection. It feels warm all over and I get a slight hot spot on my elbows when on high, its right at the elbow pads. Not enough to bother me, you just feel your elbows getting a bit warmer.

I wear a long sleeve knit or flannel shirt over a regular white T, then I have the jacket liner with a Kili 4.0 over that. I've never been cool with this set up, I can add the first gear fleece liner to the mix and I find my self using the low setting.

The gloves on the other hand could use more heat, but you can add a glove liner and all is toasty for me. I don't feel the need to wear a thermal under shirt with the liner, it works vey well. I did try it with a short sleeve T shirt and the bare arms get a little too warm against the heated liner sleeves. I don't think the jacket liner needs any more heat, it works well for my riding temps in the mid teens and I don't use the high setting unless I get chilled walking around. I hope I don't find a temp where the high setting is not enough. I would need a snow mobile helmet.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,961
questions

I was looking at the first gear jacket liner, but this thread caught me eyes

I like carbon fiber heating, my home made vest has 3 carbon heating elements in it, but I'm thinking sleeves ... sleeves .... yeah

first, the "catalog" descriptions are all the same and not enough specific info.

1) how thick is the liner?

2) do the glove leads have a pocket or something to stow them in?

3) do the glove leads have a separate feed? i.e. do they feed off the controller output also, or can they feed off a separate controller/ on-off switch?

4) what kind of plug does this system use?

thanks
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #27
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I'm pretty sure the glove power is controled by the main jacket controler so you can't put the gloves on high and the jacket on low for example. The jacket-glove connector is the same as a gerb, dunno about jacket-bike connector.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #28
spraypilot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Nwe jacket review

I recieved the Tourmaster jacket liner today. It took me longer to find my wire pliers than it did to get the wireing harness hooked up. Remove the seat and the battery cables, red to red, black to black, tie wrap the slack in the cord so about 2 inches of cord and the plug hang out at the front of the seat, reinstall the seat and you are done.
I am 6'2" and 165lbs with a 36 inch inseam and a wingspan to match so I ordered the XL so the sleeves would not hit me just below the elbow and I am satisfied with the fit. The large probally would have been O.K. but I don't like tight jackets that ride up another reason for the xl. I have a little slack around the torso but it is not an issue.
It was in the mid 30's when I made a test ride this morning. Light weight long sleeve teeshirt, synergh jacket, leather riding jacket, guantlet riding gloves(unheated) to keep the cold air from blasting up the sleeves. I started with the controller on high and had to turn it down in less than 5 minutes. Medium is also too much with this set-up so I ran it on low. I then took off the leather jacket and replaced it with a lightweight mountain hardwear wind breaker and went for a 60 mile ride. I never needed more than the low setting although I played with the temp controller to test for ease of use with heavy gloves on. I did not use the accompanying leg strap to clip the controller onto rather I just flipped it up into my jacket pocket. I have to look at it to operate it but it is very manageable with heavy riding gloves on. I remained toasty warm on my ride even with the windbreaker over the synergy.
All in all I give the synergy a 10. I have owned the aerostich electric liner in the past and the synergh blows it away hands down(much lighter and way more flexible).
$156.99 well spent. Now I just gotta show the new liner Alaska.
spraypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #29
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Here my 3 cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
questions

I was looking at the first gear jacket liner, but this thread caught me eyes

I like carbon fiber heating, my home made vest has 3 carbon heating elements in it, but I'm thinking sleeves ... sleeves .... yeah

first, the "catalog" descriptions are all the same and not enough specific info.

1) how thick is the liner?

Its thin in my book, its like my first gear fleece that came with the Killi.

2) do the glove leads have a pocket or something to stow them in?

Yes, there is a pocket on each sleeve that closes with a zipper.

3) do the glove leads have a separate feed? i.e. do they feed off the controller output also, or can they feed off a separate controller/ on-off switch?

You can control everything of the jacket liner's control or use the supplied harness and controler for each item. I some times hook up the gloves apart from the jacket liner for better control when the temps are above 40 degrees.

4) what kind of plug does this system use?

The RCA round type.

thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #30
Tiz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Does anyone have an email or phone for TourMaster Warranty support? My pants liner controller died after 15 minutes.

Tonker.com is not returning my emails on the issue. That is where I got them.

--Kevin
ex-2001 XR400
ex-2002KLR650
Tiz is offline   Reply With Quote