Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #361
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
As much as I'd like to try the TourMaster Synergy jacket, after reading through this entire thread, I think I will go with a First Gear heated jacket liner instead. While some have experienced no issues with the TourMaster it seems that many more have been frustrated with repeated heat controller failures. Thanks to all for posting your experiences.
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #362
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I had the grommet ripping out probelm after only a few days of riding last year. (as did another guy at the K1100 forum.) I sent it back and got a warranty replacment. Now I don't strap the ocntroler to my leg, I just let it hang free so it won't get stressed.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #363
mike toon
AKA Mr Pastrami

Oddometer: 183
I swing it up and clip it on my pocket.

mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #364
guzzigeezer
Old wrinkly git

Oddometer: 88
Whats the stock #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate
Just ordered a Medium from www.tonker.com final price with discount code "bab" and free shipping was $153.89.

Medium was confirmed the live person there.
(5-10, 180lbs, large t-shirt, 42 jacket/filight suit, medium "polo" shirt)
Got an order code?

"We may lose or we may win, but we will never be here again"

2007 Tiger 1050 - Love of my life
1989 Suzuki SR41A DRBIG - 800 Conversion
guzzigeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #365
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
I had the grommet ripping out probelm after only a few days of riding last year. (as did another guy at the K1100 forum.) I sent it back and got a warranty replacment. Now I don't strap the ocntroler to my leg, I just let it hang free so it won't get stressed.
I do the same, just let the controller dangle. In the two years or so I've had the electric stuff, I've had two controller go bad but no torn or ripped wiring.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #366
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzigeezer
Got an order code?
Tonker seems to be out of business.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #367
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

This was mentioned earlier but check this out.

Tour Master Heat-troller Adapter
$9.95
Tour Copier Adapter When you get tired of either replacing the tourmaster controller when it fails or when you want a reliable, honestly designed controller, this adapter will allow you to use our heat-troller with the tourmaster gear Just connects where the failed controller plugs in Once connected you can plug a heat-troller or controller between the battery harness and the clothing just like normal

For those who don't want to or can't mod their by themselves. I have dual permanent mount trollers on one of my bikes, thinking of wiring in the TM stuff to a bike that has no trollers and using this for when on the other bike.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #368
mike toon
AKA Mr Pastrami

As Dusty Boots found out, with the wires jumped (or this adaptor) and without a heatroller there is more than just the jacket's elements being on high. I would think this adaptor is putting the jacket at risk of burning out if someone thinks they can just plug it in straight. Does this adaptor come with a warning?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #369
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike toon
As Dusty Boots found out, with the wires jumped (or this adaptor) and without a heatroller there is more than just the jacket's elements being on high. I would think this adaptor is putting the jacket at risk of burning out if someone thinks they can just plug it in straight. Does this adaptor come with a warning?
It's to be used with their troller.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #370
mike toon
AKA Mr Pastrami

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
It's to be used with their troller.
An email to them confirms no damage to the jacket without their `troller.

Me..
"So, you think it's safe to run that (Synergy) jacket with your adaptor and no Heat-Troller....if someone wanted a backup device for the ever failing Tourmaster controller?"

Mike Coan from Warmnsafe.. "Yes as long as you know the maximum heat the jacket will make is ok for you."

Looks like a good emergency item to be kept in the pocket in case the stock controller fails on a trip. Remember it's on HIGH and very hot.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #371
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,675
OK, I need gloves...

Went for a New Years Day ride today in the teens and my heated grips with handle bar mitts just won't do anymore! I've the Synergy vest and now I need heated gloves, but not Tourmaster ones.

So, if I go with say Warm & Safe gloves I need a dual heat troller and an adapter to use the Synergy vest???? With the dual troller I can control the heat levels on both the vest and glove interdependently of each other, correct?

Thinking of going with the dual remote one. As for the gloves, I especially want to heat the thumbs! Any recommendations on gloves for this setup?
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #372
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc
Went for a New Years Day ride today in the teens and my heated grips with handle bar mitts just won't do anymore! I've the Synergy vest and now I need heated gloves, but not Tourmaster ones.

So, if I go with say Warm & Safe gloves I need a dual heat troller and an adapter to use the Synergy vest???? With the dual troller I can control the heat levels on both the vest and glove interdependently of each other, correct?

Thinking of going with the dual remote one. As for the gloves, I especially want to heat the thumbs! Any recommendations on gloves for this setup?
To use the troller on the tourmaster you need to short out the 4 wires in the main plug. There is a pic in this thread showing how. Or just order the plug from WnS. I'd go with the WnS carbon gloves personally as they seem to be the only heated gloves that are useful even without plugging them in and they have armour and offer pretty good dexterity.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #373
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Synergy jacket liner update: It doesn't usually get cold enough for local riding to need to use electric gear but I just used my Synergy liner for a four day ride up the coast. On day 4, maybe an hour from my house, my contoller started crapping out and would only stay on for a few minutes and then drop out. I'd guess I've only used the jacket 12-15 times before the controller crapped out.

A buddy of mine gave me his Synergy controller when he switched to a Heat Troller so I have a backup unit but I'd really like to have something more reliable. So I ordered the TM plug thing from Warm & Safe and a Powerlet controller from Eastern Beaver. (The reason I got the Powerlet controller instead of the Heat Troller is that the Powerlet controller has a lifetime warranty.)

An inexpensive but affordable backup with some control would be to get the Warm & Safe TM plug and a simple but cheap coax on/off switch.

(Disclaimer: Jim at Eastern Beaver is a friend of mine but I'd buy from him even if he weren't.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #374
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
(The reason I got the Powerlet controller instead of the Heat Troller is that the Powerlet controller has a lifetime warranty.)
Doesn't the heat troller also have a lifetime warranty? I thought all his stuff had a lifetime warranty on the electronics and wiring? If not however, it is good to know.

I'm guessing it's a rebadged warm n safe troller and not a chinese copy like the gerbings unit?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #375
12voltclothing
Banned

Oddometer: 130
Warm & Safe has a 3 year warranty on their heat trollers. Lifetime warranty on the jacket liner wiring.
I'm not sure if Powerlet increased the their warranty on the heat troller, I'd be surprised if it's lifetime since it's made by warm & safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Doesn't the heat troller also have a lifetime warranty? I thought all his stuff had a lifetime warranty on the electronics and wiring? If not however, it is good to know.

I'm guessing it's a rebadged warm n safe troller and not a chinese copy like the gerbings unit?
12voltclothing is offline   Reply With Quote