Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #31
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,618
I'm an avid internet buyer but buying a new, unproven product is one reason I made my purchase through a local bike shop.

I believe Tourmaster is currently a brand name of HelmetHouse or something like that, so you might try there.
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #32
Rabbit_Fighter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Kevin - I looked through the warranty info and it indicates that the waranty is provided to the end user " . . purchasing from an authorized TourMaster dealer". The Tonker site says that it is an authorized online detailer, so I think you are okay.

The booklet also says "To obtain warranty service, contact your local authorized Tour Master dealer".

I would try calling Tonker first.
Rabbit_Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #33
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 471
Connecting...

I have a pair of the widder chaps. Is there a way to attach them to the tourmaster jacket controller with an adapter?

I dont know what type of connector the tourmaster line uses. Someone mentioned its the RCA style. Is this the type of RCAs found in audio products? Theorectically I could get some from Radioshack and rig up an adapter, no?
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #34
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Thumb Wow!

I can't believe it! I just received my Tourmaster Synergy Jacket and it is awesome!! Take it out of the bag and guess what? It includes everything I need to get going - no additional part req'd. It came with the connector and leads to connect to the battery, which on my bike (06 BMW 1200 GSA) took me a whole 3 minutes to connect. Plus it comes with a temp controller! The temp output is great! it took less then a minute to start feeling the warmth!!

All I can say, is WOW, what took me so long to get heated gear! I have been suffering far too long - though, NOT any longer. Best bang for the buck!

D
DukeVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #35
chef_of_the_future
You talking to me?

Oddometer: 263
More Size Tips Please

I would appreciate if you synergy owners would let me know your demensions (height & weight) and the size vest/jacket you got and the fit. Thanks!

2007 1200GS
chef_of_the_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #36
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,618
6'1" or thereabouts, 195# (That would be 1.85m, 88Kg for those outside the USA) I tried on the XL and it was far too baggy - Needs to be reasonably snug to transfer warmth to your torso. L fits just about right although it could even be a bit tighter and still be fine. Sleeves are the right length for me and I would say I have more or less average shoulder-width and arm length for my height.

- probably more info than you needed.
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #37
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_of_the_future
I would appreciate if you synergy owners would let me know your demensions (height & weight) and the size vest/jacket you got and the fit. Thanks!
I got a size large and it fits me perfect (snug). I am 6'0, 175-180lbs (lean).
DukeVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #38
spraypilot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_of_the_future
I am 6'2" and 165ish, 42" chest, flat stomach, 36" inseam, and long arms so I ordered the xl for a little extra length. It is a little loose in the torso and I could have gotten the large but I don't like tight jackets riding up and constantly pulling them down. If you are going to wear a jacket over the synergy(as per it's primary design) you can have a little slack around the torso because this jacket puts out some serious heat. It puts out more heat than a stich liner and is way warmer with no hot spots. I have never owned a widder or gerbing so can only compare it to the aerostich. If ordering again I would still get the xl. my 02
spraypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #39
Ateesman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Jacket and gloves

I have had both the Synergy jacket and gloves for about 1&1/2 months now and really like them (posted as much a while ago).

Everything everyone is saying about the jacket is true. I glanced quickly through and I didn't see too much about the gloves, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth about them (the jacket is great - end of story).

The gloves don't seem nearly as warm as the jacket though I must admit my hands don't seem to get cold in them at all. The gloves have some sort of lining in them that I am not crazy about - it makes my hands feel a little clammy all the time. The lining also seems just a little bit loose inside of the glove. Next time I ride, I am going to try them with some glove liners I already have. I think that will help.

I can't imagine using the gloves without the jacket. Running the cords down my sleeves would be a pain and having the control unit on the back on my hand would be cumbersome as well. The gloves work well with the jacket though.

For the money - Synergy stuff is great.
Ateesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateesman
I have had both the Synergy jacket and gloves for about 1&1/2 months now and really like them (posted as much a while ago).

Everything everyone is saying about the jacket is true. I glanced quickly through and I didn't see too much about the gloves, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth about them (the jacket is great - end of story).

The gloves don't seem nearly as warm as the jacket though I must admit my hands don't seem to get cold in them at all. The gloves have some sort of lining in them that I am not crazy about - it makes my hands feel a little clammy all the time. The lining also seems just a little bit loose inside of the glove. Next time I ride, I am going to try them with some glove liners I already have. I think that will help.

I can't imagine using the gloves without the jacket. Running the cords down my sleeves would be a pain and having the control unit on the back on my hand would be cumbersome as well. The gloves work well with the jacket though.

For the money - Synergy stuff is great.
that's the only issue I see with this over the 1st gear liner I was looking at

my glove liners need to be ON if I need them, no controller in the loop

I can see needing the hands at full blast (TDM has no handguards ... yet), but turning the jacket liner down

so I was interestested in how 1st gear wired the liner so you could either control the gloves/liners with the jacket liner or separately

also how big is the liner if you roll it/stuff it in a pocket?
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #41
Ateesman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Size of Synergy liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak

also how big is the liner if you roll it/stuff it in a pocket?
I would compare it to any normal non-motorcycle windbreaker or light jacket in size. I would be a little scared to "stuff it" as I don't know how fragile the heating elements are within the jacket.

By the way - It doesn't look completely stupid to wear it as a jacket - unlike some liners I have seen.
Ateesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #42
DirtRiderwjc2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by spraypilot
flat stomach
Had one of those many years ago
Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #43
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Synergy Sizing Info

Just got my Synergy today, ordered Mon. from Oneida Suz. As for size, I'm a 16 1/2 - 33 shirt, 5' 10", 200 lb, and fairly athletic build (some would call me hunk, others think I am more like a blob). Ordered the XLg Synergy and it fits about right. Hope to try it as soon as the temp gets in the 30's. I'm a little surprised at the bulk of the wires across the shoulders but don' think it will be at all noticeable when wearing the liner.

Also got another item ordered Mon. I need to stay off the computer, costs way too much!
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #44
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I purchased the Tourmaster Synergy vest w/collar when I bought my Versys last week and got to put it to a real test today (however I did test it on a short ride a few days ago). The news said it was 22F this morning, the bank I passed said it was 15F, but I was nice and warm the entire 21miles/45 minute commute to work this morning.

It's the first heated item I've owned and love the warmth. I was wearing it under a First Gear leather jacket w/liner - I had a button up shirt & undershirt on under the vest.

The only thing I don't like about this vest, is that the power connector on the vest only comes out about 2" - which requires me to have a good 12"-16" of cord coming off the bike from under the seat. The installation instructions say you should only have about 2" of cord coming from under the seat (or where ever it's routed from) but I don't see how that's possible with my vest.

On my first ride when I tested it, I stood on the pegs once just enought to pull out the connections, but not enough for the cord to come free. My worry is that the cord could come free , dangle from the seat and possible get caught in the chain.

I'm going to explore other routing options for the wire to keep it away from the rear of the bike, but still there will be at least 10"-12" of loose cord coming off the bike.

I have tried to see if more cord would come out of the jacket, but I don't think there is any.

Looks like someone had the came problem in response to the WebBikeWorld review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-m...t.htm#comments

Overall I love the vest, I just may need to explore some options with the power lead.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #45
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,947
would somebody take a minute this weekend and stick an ammeter (10A should be enuff) in series with the + lead and report the actual current draw at each controller setting?

I want to see if:

a) their controller is a PWM controller type or something else

b) I need to plan on running it at a lower setting on say the GPz vs. the TDM vs. the XT600E

thanks
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote