Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #496
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post

I'll be cutting into the jacket and rewiring it then.
If you're confident doing a little soldering and heat-shrink and can trace a wire, you will not find it especially challenging. You will simply reconnect the wires that go through the sleeves to the input power lead, rather than the output of the controller. You will, of course, end up with gloves that are always on maximum heat when plugged in - but I think that's what you are after anyway.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #497
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
If you're confident doing a little soldering and heat-shrink and can trace a wire, you will not find it especially challenging. You will simply reconnect the wires that go through the sleeves to the input power lead, rather than the output of the controller. You will, of course, end up with gloves that are always on maximum heat when plugged in - but I think that's what you are after anyway.
Ya. I could always add a controller at the gloves if I want to get fancy. I don't think they will get too hot on high anyway, like the jacket does.
thanks for the info guys
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #498
madmaximum
She said we're all idiots

Oddometer: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Ya. I could always add a controller at the gloves if I want to get fancy. I don't think they will get too hot on high anyway, like the jacket does.
thanks for the info guys
You could check the tourmaster site, they may still have the old style glove controller. I've had mine for 3 years or so and it has been rock solid. It's the controller and wiring all in one.
madmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #499
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,319
Dunno if this'll help Gord, but here's a pic of the wiring when you want to just eliminate the controller, and run your own separate controller on the dash.

It was posted in this thread about 3 years ago, if you want to go search for it.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #500
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Thanks Drif. That may come in handy.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #501
madmaximum
She said we're all idiots

Oddometer: 3,348
Actually that pic shows how to wire the jacket if your tour master controller fails. It will run on high constantly. Somebody does make a plug, warm n safe I believe, so you can use a heat troller.

Found it, here's the link:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/tour-master...oller-adapter/
madmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #502
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaximum View Post
Actually that pic shows how to wire the jacket if your tour master controller fails. It will run on high constantly. Somebody does make a plug, warm n safe I believe, so you can use a heat troller.

Found it, here's the link:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/tour-master...oller-adapter/
Yes. It is also here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...M-Adapter.aspx

I hope that they are still available if mine ever breaks. Also because the plugs are the same this should work nicely to replace the heat controller:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ontroller.aspx
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #503
TJTraver
Kbiker

Oddometer: 16
Pls Verify Controller replacement ( Hot wire + Rheostat)

Oh well , my Tourmaster Series 1 (N) controller just failed today after several years of use . I've contacted Tourmaster to see if they'll send me another controller as new ones don't seem to be available for purchase .
If Tourmaster replaces it under warrantee I may roll the dice again and just use it.

But I've read and heard first hand sooo many problems with the series 1 controllers , I'm thinking I will just go for the sure thing and replace it like this .....

< Looking for verification this will work >

From what I've read I can :
1) Remove the existing controller and "jumper it " like the diagram a few posts above
2) Plug this Tourmaster rheostat in-line to the existing vest power cord

Will post my outcome once verified ..... Todd
TJTraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #504
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTraver View Post
From what I've read I can :
1) Remove the existing controller and "jumper it " like the diagram a few posts above
2) Plug this Tourmaster rheostat in-line to the existing vest power cord

Will post my outcome once verified ..... Todd
I'm sure that will work fine. You might even cut into the jacket and make the "hot-wire" job neater and permanent.

Wonder if this is a true resistive rheostat or a more efficient electronic controller?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #505
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
My TM controller quit after I carelessly beat the crap out of it without knowing it. Bought that jumper/adapter and have used my Gerbings controller, identical to the TM shown in a few posts back. Works just fine for both my single and dual Gerbings.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #506
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I'm sure that will work fine. You might even cut into the jacket and make the "hot-wire" job neater and permanent.

Wonder if this is a true resistive rheostat or a more efficient electronic controller?
That controller is the PWM version, the same as the ones Gerbing uses. Pretty efficient in controlling the heat.

I have the dual version on my new TM Synergy 2 heated jacket and gloves, recommend the dual version controller for anyone using a jacket and gloves combo the ability to control the glove heat independently is worth it's weight in gold. The jacket always gets warmer than the gloves.

Ron W.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #507
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
That controller is the PWM version, the same as the ones Gerbing uses. Pretty efficient in controlling the heat.

I have the dual version on my new TM Synergy 2 heated jacket and gloves, recommend the dual version controller for anyone using a jacket and gloves combo the ability to control the glove heat independently is worth it's weight in gold. The jacket always gets warmer than the gloves.

Ron W.
Hey Ron,

I have the Synergy 2 jacket and the dual controller. How do you wire the gloves in?

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #508
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
Hey Ron,

I have the Synergy 2 jacket and the dual controller. How do you wire the gloves in?

..Tom
Tom

The gloves connect to the connectors tucked into the sleeve of the jacket.

The other connectors are as follows.... jacket has three power leads, 2 male, one grey and one black and one female black. When you run a dual controller the the two male connectors connect to the two color coordinated female connectors coming off of the controller. When your running a single controller you connect the female black (it has a grey band on it by the way) to the male grey on the jacket and the remaining black male goes to the single black female from the controller.

All these connectors are tucked away in a small pouch by the way.

Go to this web page for the PDF manual.

http://www.tourmaster.com/images/pro...ngtag_sy2j.pdf

Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #509
TJTraver
Kbiker

Oddometer: 16
Great Customer Support from TourMaster !

Here is TM's response ( within 24 hrs ) to my failed controller email to customer support :

" Thank you for contacting us. Yes, we had a known defect with the original Synergy controllers. Therefore, I have put in a warranty request for a replacement Synergy 2.0 controller and a V-Split adaptor. The adaptor allows the older Synergy garments to be compatible with the new controller. Please bear with me a day or so while I await a response from warranty. "

Can't beat that ...

Todd
TJTraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #510
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Tom

The gloves connect to the connectors tucked into the sleeve of the jacket.

Thanks, but I actually asked the wrong question: when you have the v2 jacket with the dual controller and add the Synergy 2 gloves will the Dual controiler control the gloves seperately from the jacket? I seem to recall messages here that said the gloves are tied into the jacket's controller and the instructions don't actuall say anything of this. (I don't have the gloves yet and amwaiting foir procduction to restart. Not a biug ussiue as its only been a little below freezing.)

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote