Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #511
madmaximum
She said we're all idiots

Oddometer: 3,319
Tom, the new jacket allows the gloves to be controller separately.
madmaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #512
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaximum View Post
Tom, the new jacket allows the gloves to be controller separately.
+ 1 he's right....

Two sets of wires within the jacket allow separate control of the gloves and jacket, which is IMPORTANT I always run the gloves hotter than the jacket.

As a matter of course when I first get on the bike I set the jacket to 1 and the gloves to 3, so far that's been perfect for 40 degrees Fahrenheit and above.

Ron W.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #513
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
+ 1 he's right....

Two sets of wires within the jacket allow separate control of the gloves and jacket, which is IMPORTANT I always run the gloves hotter than the jacket.

As a matter of course when I first get on the bike I set the jacket to 1 and the gloves to 3, so far that's been perfect for 40 degrees Fahrenheit and above.

Ron W.
Thanks for the comments guys!

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #514
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

I got the Synergy 2 gloves on the weekend. They work well and are controlled separately on the dual controlled on my Synergy 2 jacket. It hasn't been all that cold (I think -4c or about 25f was the coldest) but the gloves work very well. One thin I noticed is that there appears to be very little heat on the area of the hand that holds on to the hand grips. Is this normal? I have hand guards so I gather this is to provide heat on the outside that is normally exposed to the airflow. It seems to me that I might have to finally install my heated grips to warm up the other side.

Also, it looks like the beset way to wear them is to put them on before my Roadcrafter jacket so that the elastic sleeve goes over the s
synergy jacket and goes under my Roadcrafter sleeves. A
How do you guys wear them?

Thanks,

Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #515
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I never noticed there wasn't any heat for the palms, I guess that say's it's not a big deal because my hands stay warm. I don't know if I would bother with adding heated grips, a non issue so far.

As far as to what order you put the gloves on I just eliminated the small grommet and pulled the coax connector back out so now I put the gloves on last and pull both cuffs over the jacket. Maybe if it rains that's not the best solution but with both cuffs pulled tight I can't see too much water getting back into the inside of the gloves.

So far I'm happy with the Synergy 2 jacket and gloves.

Ron W.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #516
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I bought a Tourmaster heated liner and Gerbings liner at the same time via mail order with the plan to return one. It allowed me to compare both. The Tourmaster was much cheaper price wise however the Gerbings provided more even heat and was of slightly better quality. I ended up keeping the Gerbings which was significantly more expensive with the controller. I'm glad I did as I've since had a connection issue with the Gerbings which is covered under their great warranty plan. There is not the same warranty coverage on the Tourmaster stuff. I would say the Tourmaster stuff is still OK for light use but if you are hard on your gear of plan to keep it a long time go for Gerbings or Warm & Safe.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #517
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
One thin I noticed is that there appears to be very little heat on the area of the hand that holds on to the hand grips. Is this normal?
Tom
Yep,,,, noticed that with mine too. I have heated grips on my bikes too but even on the XR where I can't run the gloves and grips at the same time, warmth wasn't a huge issue at roughly freezing temps.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #518
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
There is not the same warranty coverage on the Tourmaster stuff. I would say the Tourmaster stuff is still OK for light use but if you are hard on your gear of plan to keep it a long time go for Gerbings or Warm & Safe.

Do the Gerbings and Warm and Safe offer Lifetime warrantees?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #519
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,960
I gotta give this the ol bumplestiltskin.
I can't be the only sap with problems with this stuff.

I've had 2 synergyII heatroller failures.
The first one was a single (for gloves) which was replaced by the vendor without question. (Motorcyclegear.com is excellent btw)
The second was a dual jobber, that went with the new gloves and a new jacket. The led's light, but I'm getting weak/no heat.
Anybody else having similar issues?
What's the best fix, warm&safe?

This is not a low voltage/wiring issue. I do also have can email in to tourmaster. I'm not trying to slam them, I just need stuff that works.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #520
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
I gotta give this the ol bumplestiltskin.
I can't be the only sap with problems with this stuff.

I've had 2 synergyII heatroller failures.
The first one was a single (for gloves) which was replaced by the vendor without question. (Motorcyclegear.com is excellent btw)
The second was a dual jobber, that went with the new gloves and a new jacket. The led's light, but I'm getting weak/no heat.
Anybody else having similar issues?
What's the best fix, warm&safe?

This is not a low voltage/wiring issue. I do also have can email in to tourmaster. I'm not trying to slam them, I just need stuff that works.
This might be a long shot but the vest that I got from them required the SAE pigtail to be reversed for my vest to heat like it should. Somehow the polarity was reversed on either the pigtail attachment to the battery or the vest itself. After I switched leads and put the negative on the positive terminal and vice versa I've never had another issue. Worth a look (I know you said it wasn't a wiring issue but I didn't "think" mine was either).

XFanMan screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 10:18 AM
XFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #521
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,960
Good tip.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #522
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFanMan View Post
This might be a long shot but the vest that I got from them required the SAE pigtail to be reversed for my vest to heat like it should. Somehow the polarity was reversed on either the pigtail attachment to the battery or the vest itself. After I switched leads and put the negative on the positive terminal and vice versa I've never had another issue. Worth a look (I know you said it wasn't a wiring issue but I didn't "think" mine was either).
That does not make sense, polarity matters not when it comes to heated gear. Perhaps there was a loose connection from the get go and you when messed with it you fixed it.

Heated gear works by basically shorting out the negative and positive. This short causes the wires in your jacket to get hot, thus provide heat. The wire is just thin enough and long enough that you don't see spark and won't cause a fire\melt the garment.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #523
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Do the Gerbings and Warm and Safe offer Lifetime warrantees?
Yes, on the wiring, as does Tourmaster
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #524
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

I posted this in another thread here that I returned all my Tourmaster Heated Gear (it was all Synergy II.) Too many assorted parts of it broke. The same kind of stuff is happening with my swife's stuff and we have returned her gloves.

I replaced my gloves with Gerbings (I needed them right away and couldn't wait for Warm and Safe to get to me in Canada) and then ordered a Warm and Safe heated jacket. Both work very well together.

In fairness to Tourmaster gave full credit to our dealer for the gear. This both for my gear which was less than a year od and my wife's which was over a year old.

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #525
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
That does not make sense, polarity matters not when it comes to heated gear. Perhaps there was a loose connection from the get go and you when messed with it you fixed it.

Heated gear works by basically shorting out the negative and positive. This short causes the wires in your jacket to get hot, thus provide heat. The wire is just thin enough and long enough that you don't see spark and won't cause a fire\melt the garment.
I don't know...all I know is that's what it took to get my gear to work correctly. I went through 3 different controllers thinking they must be faulty ( Tourmaster was very good about replacing them) and none worked correctly. When I swapped the leads in the SAE cable they all worked perfectly afterward. I'm no electrician, I just know it works now.

I'll probably replace it with Warm N Safe when it's time although I don't think they make just a vest and that's all I really need and what I like.