Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #91
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo
OK I am getting ready to buy a jacket but I have to say I am a bit leery of this due to all the bad controlers. Do you think all the bad ones are out of the system?
Lee
When you order a Jacket ask them if it has the new controller. Call Helmet House (Jacket Manufacturer) and ask them directly. I reached them at 800-421-7247. They we very helpful.
D
DukeVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #92
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeVA
When you order a Jacket ask them if it has the new controller. Call Helmet House (Jacket Manufacturer) and ask them directly. I reached them at 800-421-7247. They we very helpful.
D
Do you know how to tell the new from the old? Does it matter if yours hasn't failed already?
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #93
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
Do you know how to tell the new from the old? Does it matter if yours hasn't failed already?
I don't know how to tell the difference. My new controller should arrive tomorrow or Tues. If it looks different I will post here. Otherwise, I suggest you give them a call and ask, they may be willing to send you a new one. they sent me one at not cost.

D
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #94
Swashplate

Oddometer: 1,150
No way to tell the diff. from the outside. I had a bad one, got a new one at no cost. HH knows the issue.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #95
bipbap
JM Speedbump

Oddometer: 610
Maybe not all out of the system yet

Unfortunately, I think I have to +1 to the bad controller stories. I just brought my almost new Tiger home and the controllers were either intermittant or non-functioning at all. I tested them on my other bike before I left, checked it on the Tiger before I got on the road, then once I got going, they either wouldn't operate at all or only operate on high for a random, short amount of time. I got them through Helmet Harbor, so I'll get a call in to them.
bipbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #96
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
I got a new controler from HH and didn't even ask for one! I had emailed them about having my power turn off unexpectively and didn't hear back for over a week. In the mean time I discovered that it was the red power connector that was the problem - I took it back to my dealer and they swapped out the wiring harness that connects to the bike and my jacket then worked fine.

A few days later HH finally responded to my email saying they had sent out a new controller. I emailed them back to say I didn't need it, that the issue was something else. They emailed me back (5 days later) saying to keep it. So I have an extra controller in case mine ever goes bad.

I hope they get those bad controllers out of the system, since its a great product, but bad PR with those controllers.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #97
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniels
I got a new controler from HH and didn't even ask for one! I had emailed them about having my power turn off unexpectively and didn't hear back for over a week. In the mean time I discovered that it was the red power connector that was the problem - I took it back to my dealer and they swapped out the wiring harness that connects to the bike and my jacket then worked fine.

A few days later HH finally responded to my email saying they had sent out a new controller. I emailed them back to say I didn't need it, that the issue was something else. They emailed me back (5 days later) saying to keep it. So I have an extra controller in case mine ever goes bad.

I hope they get those bad controllers out of the system, since its a great product, but bad PR with those controllers.
Is the jacket wired up such that you have to use their controller, or could you use a Heatroller or other power source?
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #98
bipbap
JM Speedbump

In the interest of completeness, Jane from Helmet Harbor has been great about this. They are replacing all three controllers, no questions asked. She left two messages to keep me informed about what they were doing. They don't even want the old ones back. She mentioned something about problems with amperage, but I don't recall the specifics.

In the Synergy manual, it states that you should plug in before starting the bike, otherwise power surges could occur that wrecks the controllers. I wonder if other brands of gear have that same warning or if Synergy's controllers are a little more sensitive?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #99
LostAussie
Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer: 532
Just One More Reason not be buy from Tonker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiz
Does anyone have an email or phone for TourMaster Warranty support? My pants liner controller died after 15 minutes.

Tonker.com is not returning my emails on the issue. That is where I got them.

--Kevin
Pass the word around. TONKER.COM DOESN"T HAVE CUSTOMER SERVICE! I bought an intercom system from them, spent over $600 and it didn't work when it arrived. When I finally got hold of them they basically said "Sucks to be you."

I bought my Tourmaster Heated Gloves from Motorcycle-Superstore.com and three months later finally tried them. The thumbs didn't heat and they immediately took care of it. I even got a friendly, helpful person on the first phone call and they sent me a return shipping label to make the process easy.

No reason to buy from places like Tonker.com when you can get about the same price and true customer service from places like Motorcycle-Superstore.com.
LostAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #100
motoman525
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Just got my new vest. Worked great for about ten minutes. I guess I will be calling helmet house too!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #101
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
I just received my new controller and you can NOT tell the difference between the new controller and the old controller.

According to Helmet House they had a 'bad' batch of controllers and they were experiencing some problems with some bikes (I have an 06 GSA) and the controllers. They said something about power surge ruining the circutry - mostly due to plugging in the jacket/vest after the bike was started (the reccommend plugging the jacket/vest in prior to starting). They sent me one free of charge. Give them a call and request a new one, they may send you one. It is nice to have one in case it craps out.

D
Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #102
RSL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeVA
I just received my new controller and you can NOT tell the difference between the new controller and the old controller.

According to Helmet House they had a 'bad' batch of controllers and they were experiencing some problems with some bikes (I have an 06 GSA) and the controllers. They said something about power surge ruining the circutry - mostly due to plugging in the jacket/vest after the bike was started (the reccommend plugging the jacket/vest in prior to starting). They sent me one free of charge. Give them a call and request a new one, they may send you one. It is nice to have one in case it craps out.

D
If you wanted to use another brand of controller, such as Heattroller, is it plug and play, or is it wired up such that only house brand controller works?
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #103
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbap
In the Synergy manual, it states that you should plug in before starting the bike, otherwise power surges could occur that wrecks the controllers. I wonder if other brands of gear have that same warning or if Synergy's controllers are a little more sensitive?
That would keep me away from the product. My usual morning routine is roll the bike out, start it up, then plug in. I'll stay with my dependable Widder controller and vest. The wires aren't really an issue. I was very toasty this morning
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #104
DukeVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
If you wanted to use another brand of controller, such as Heattroller, is it plug and play, or is it wired up such that only house brand controller works?
I don't know the answer to this question.

Now that I have the new controller all seems to be well. The Jacket, as I have said in a previous post, is awesome! If you have questions, call Helmet House, they were very helpful.
D
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #105
bipbap
JM Speedbump

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1
That would keep me away from the product. My usual morning routine is roll the bike out, start it up, then plug in. I'll stay with my dependable Widder controller and vest. The wires aren't really an issue. I was very toasty this morning
Does the Widder manual say anything about plugging in before or after you start the bike, or doesn't this matter with your gear?