Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Berg570FE OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I want to get my wife an Adventure bike . . . .

Hello all,

I would appreciate some input and/or help from you guys/gals. I am knowledgeable about bikes, and have been riding for 30 years, but am having a tough time deciding on an Adventure bike for my wife.

Lindsey is an intermediate ladies rider, 5'1", 130 lbs, athletic and strong. She currently rides a 2012 KTM 250 XCF-W that is highly modified for her (lowered, Rekluse, bars cut, ect) for single track mountain riding. She loves it.

I have a 2014 Husaberg 501 FE for single track, and a 990 KTM for Adventure rides.

I want to get her something that can favor the dirt (everything BUT single track), yet can comfortably rip down the freeway at 65 for, say, 25 miles if need be. I have to be able to lower it, and I mean slam it down.

Im not concerned about her picking it up, as I would always be there, or the other ladies in our group would help as they often do for each other now. Her friends have a 650 GS, KTM 500, and a KTM 690.

Id like to keep the whole thing under $10K. Including bags, guards, . . . .you get the idea.

So on my radar are the following, with my concerns for each: And I don't wish to offend anyone who owns said bikes.

KLR 650 - I had one. Power to weight ratio is not so good, and it just seems like a HUGE bike for a 650?
DRZ 400s - Enough power to handle the Hwy?
DR 650 - Im leaning toward this bike, though its one of the few bikes Ive never ridden. No Efi or even FCR carb . .
My Husaberg 501 - I am planning on a '16 anyway.Ive dual sported it all around Moab, and it does not like the hwy speds at all. Not comfy either.
KTM 690 - Cost, and the concern I cant lower it enough?
XR 650L - I don't have any single reason to not consider it?

Her 250 just isn't happy hitting the hwy (Moab). She was revving the piss out of it just doing 50, geared up even.

So, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 716
My vote is DR or DRZ, both are good bikes that can be lowered and will handle the highway transitions no problem, but why aren't you letting HER decide?
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,550
DR650, CRF250L, WR250R are what I'd recommend. I love my DRZ-SM for all around duty but above 65mph, even though I've geared it down to 15/38, it gets loud. Honestly most of the bikes you listed would work, but if she's that small I'd stay on the lighter-weight side of the spectrum so the KLR and KTM are out.

An incredible resource right up this alley is the Shortypants Thread here on ADV. Lots of women showing off their (often extremely) lowered dual sports which they seem perfectly able to still have a ton of fun with. Have your wife check that thread out and, if she wants, post some questions to the ladies there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
DR650, CRF250L, WR250R are what I'd recommend. I love my DRZ-SM for all around duty but above 65mph, even though I've geared it down to 15/38, it gets loud. Honestly most of the bikes you listed would work, but if she's that small I'd stay on the lighter-weight side of the spectrum so the KLR and KTM are out.

An incredible resource right up this alley is the Shortypants Thread here on ADV. Lots of women showing off their (often extremely) lowered dual sports which they seem perfectly able to still have a ton of fun with. Have your wife check that thread out and, if she wants, post some questions to the ladies there.
+2 on the shorty pants thread.

One note GypsyWriter... the KTM 690 is actually the same weight or lighter than all the bikes the OP posted, and is also lighter than the CRF250L and a bit heavier than the WR. I don't believe however, you could get it low enough.

My wife ended up with 3 bikes; we just found there was no way to do most everything with one bike.

KTM 200XC - Dirt, mostly ST and Quad track stuff
CRF250L - Dual sport. Riding dirt, needing to get from point A to point B and require a plated bike
BMW F650GS - Adventure riding. Pack up all the camping gear, long distance rides on dirt, gravel, and tarmac for a few weeks.

It's become a bit more costly that we originally anticipated as I am set up the similarily (also with a 990A), but pretty damn sweet.
Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,106
Hey Berg,

IMHO if I could have just one bike, it would be my 2010 690. It does everything I ask of it just fine. I also have a 2011 570 Berg and it rocks on the tight stuff and does ok on the freeway, and my 990 is great too, but the 690 does everything it does better except for one thing, the 990 goes down the road so smoothly, easy to do 700 miles a day on the slab.

You can lower the 690 with dog-bones and shortin up the forks if needed. I have the Rally Raid front tanks and 200 miles is no problem and for a 335lb. bike, it does really well, just don't put your foot down...

I also have a Renazco high seat on mine, but in stock form it is a pretty low standing bike. It would be my choise for anyone looking for what you described.

Take care Brother, Eric.

BTW, come on out to Phoenix and she can take it for a spin and we can rock those Bergs!!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
Berg570FE OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.

The link to the ladies short legged thread was indeed helpful as well.

Here is a picture of her on her KTM several weeks ago.

I think I may look into the DR 650, perhaps modify it a bit.

I will get her whatever bike she wants, but, she isn't sure what bike will best fit her "adventure riding" needs . She will try to test ride a DR 650 if she can find one.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Berg570FE OP
Adventurer

Big-E

We will be in Arizona this November. My wife will be doing her horse competition, but we are bringing the bikes as well.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
My vote is DR or DRZ, both are good bikes that can be lowered and will handle the highway transitions no problem, but why aren't you letting HER decide?
+1 for DRZ

Amazing bike...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,937
I would think the DR would be the choice. It's got good power, is stupid simple, and a great after market.

Can the DRZ be lowered very much?

The XRL is to tall and even with a lowering link is pretty high.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,874
stock DRZ's not that great on the hiway because of the gearing... but there are a couple companies that make a lower 1st gear. then you install a bigger countershaft sprocket and maybe a smaller rear cog & get decent hiway speeds. kinda lot of work but it's on my list. just a thought
Old 05-21-2015, 04:06 AM   #11
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,043
My friend is 5'2", and I have an XR650L with a lowering link. He has no chance of even test riding it. When one foot is on the ground his other foot is about at footpeg height.

He recently got a DRZ and lowered it. A DR650 would be similar height.

I wonder how happy she'd be following a 990 adventure on a thumper though? I've recently been eyeballing the Honda CB500X with the Rally-Reid adventure package. It looks like a fun small bore adventure bike. You;d be close to 10 grand by the time you're done I think if you went for the full package.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012021

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,583
At 130 pounds, is there a reason she needs anything bigger than a 250? XT 250 or WRR? Even with an athletic build, I would imagine she would have a hard time moving a bike around that is nearly TRIPLE her body weight. If you weigh 200 pounds, go find a 600 pound bike and see what it is like. Try picking that bike up after you drop it. I would think a 280 pound 250 might be tough to handle.

Edit: I would be looking at a WR250X, put some knobbies on the SM wheels, lower the suspension a bit.

Another test you could do is find some weights and strap 125 pounds to the XCW that you have and see how she likes that.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #13
decooney
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 411
Other thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg570FE View Post
Hello all,

Lindsey is an intermediate ladies rider, 5'1", 130 lbs, athletic and strong. She currently rides a 2012 KTM 250 XCF-W that is highly modified for her (lowered, Rekluse, bars cut, ect) for single track mountain riding. She loves it.

If you can swing it, maybe keep the 250 XCF-W for the shorter more technical dirt rides, and perhaps try something like the CB500X with a stock 31.9" seat height or a used BMW G650GS with the Wunderlich Ergo Low seat for those longer rides. My buddies wife kept her KLX250S and added the BMW 650 for the same reasons and it worked out well. Try it for a few years and sell what you don't use, etc.

Article: 10 best motorcycles for women -
http://www.visordown.com/features/10.../22057-10.html

Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
If you can swing it, maybe keep the 250 XCF-W for the shorter more technical dirt rides, and perhaps try something like the CB500X with a stock 31.9" seat height or a used BMW G650GS with the Wunderlich Ergo Low seat for those longer rides. My buddies wife kept her KLX250S and added the BMW 650 for the same reasons and it worked out well. Try it for a few years and sell what you don't use, etc.

Article: 10 best motorcycles for women -
http://www.visordown.com/features/10.../22057-10.html

I second this... here is my wife on the F650GS.

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
I second this... here is my wife on the F650GS.
You are saying a 440 pound (wet weight) bike plus racks/bags/gear (490# loaded) is ok for a 5'1"/130# woman? I would like to see how that works on a rutted dirt road. Scratch that, I don't.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote