User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
mrgeoff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Geoffs KTM 690 build up

Hi, bit of a build thread for my 14MY KTM690. UK spec.

Probably won't go into a lot of detail, but will include details on things that don't fit right.

Bits fitted so far:
Post 1.
Britannia Lynx R Fairing
Low Font fender, with RR graphics and RR fitting brackets.

Post 2.
Rally Raid front tanks.
KTM Ergo seat - Deleted.

To come:
Akprovic? Exhaust
Renthal high bars
Heated Grips
Daytime running lights.

The bike on my first day with it: OK, maybe a bit lame, but its called Katie, just to wind the wife up

Fairing off, ready for the Lynx.

Sharp edges removed from the battery tray for the Lynx R loom. They don't say to do much here, but it maybe would be nice to have a fitted loom, with un-equal lengths of cable. I may re-terminate mine so it fits better.

If you compare this picture to a standard Lynx R dash, you will notice I have cut / trimmed a lot of material away so all the cables were not so tight. (look close on the right where the clutch cable runs, big scollop removed, as well as making the hole on the other side MUCH bigger) Took a while to get this better, so be warned, its not "ready to fit"

This shows the back of the Lynx R fairing. I noticed that the ally bracket has a LOT of sharp edges, and the wiring runs over these… so I fitted some edging strip to prevent the wires rubbing thru. Again, not a simple ready to fit.

Lynx R fitted up, note the clocks point at your chest now, so can't read them so easy as they don't point at your face.

Ready for first fix. Note, I put the indicators in a much lower position on the fairing. They looked odd in the recommended position on the side of the dash. I guess putting them on the dash means not disconnecting them on fairing removal, not a big issue, as I think they look so much better here. Note, this could be an option in the instructions, especially if the mould was slightly flatter / squarer in this area.

Now with some decals.

Finished off with a low fender on the RR fender mounting. Note, the decal set was "out of date" they didn't stick very well, and the 2 sides have also since started to peel from the back edge. RR sent me new decal set, but unfortunately it was the same batch, and they are similar in the way they have taken a "set" in the packaging and by the time I get a warm day to fit them, they will be even older and I will probably be too late to get another replacement from a new batch :( Never mind, I will probably spray the fender white at some point.

So first impressions of the Lynx R, the lights are great, I only got the 35w HID, and its plenty. The kit came with nearly everything, and was fairly good quality for an aftermarket item. I would buy another. Not sure if the lower mounting bracket was anodised, I may need to paint this for british roads.

RR low fender mounting. Good quality, good fit. My only reservation is using stainless bolted straight to ally. This is a big no-no in automotive. I may have to paint these for british roads. Steel CR4 with a good thick coating of Zinc Plate would make these perfect, if RR wants to improve product quality.

Thanks - Geoff.

mrgeoff screwed with this post 12-24-2014 at 09:36 AM
mrgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
mrgeoff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Rally Raid Front tanks. The fitting of these went quite well, only small issues encountered.
I dont understand why RR did not wash them out themselves? And they tell you half way the the instructions. Lucky I had read other posts, and washed them out in good time, so they had time to dry before fitting. I also decaled them up off the bike, so they could be nice and warm. Decals had no issues. They mist sell more of these ;-)

Issue with the crankcase breather. I thought the tang on top was a bit big, so cut it down before I started in the first picture. compare these 2 pictures, the lower one is with the tang cut nearly flush 2nd time around, otherwise it fouls the tank.

Now then, I keep coming up with issues that as I have not bought RR everything, the finish is a bit short of perfect. Is this a way of RR trying to sell more stuff? Anyway, as I don't have the RR faring, once the tanks are fitted, the key lock and front of frame is a bit bare:

I cut up the old frame protector to fit round the lock and front of frame. RR say discard these pieces, but I think this looks much better. PS, RR supply a new breather tank which is made from the LH frame guard. Why not supply both bits with the kit, they have thrown the part I made in the bin!
Here are the frame protectors back on, trimmed to fit the RR tanks.

Same goes for the radiator grille. RR say cut this down slightly if your not fitting the RR stainless version…. But if your not fitting the RR fairing, you have to cut the plastic radiator guard down quite a lot, and the edge detail is quite poor, this is strongly suggesting to buy the stainless RR guard, in reality, they should of included it being the plastic one now looks a little sorry.

Tank on bike. Not finished by a long way, give me a couple of weeks to finish it and put some more pics up!

Quick note on the KTM Ergo seat. Don't bother. Harder than a 2014 standard seat, not as comfortable, more like an enduro / MX seat, don't understand why its an option. Dosnt fit as well, and lacks some of the buffers that sit on the frame. Quite poor for a KTM part, looks far more aftermarket.

Thanks - Geoff.

mrgeoff screwed with this post 12-24-2014 at 09:47 AM
mrgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #3
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
Nice work. I think painting the front fender white will look great.

Personally I'd pull all the decals off the bike as they look too busy. It's a bad ass bike it doesn't need Power Ranger graphics.

If you find the plain look too boring a sign shop can whip you up some custom graphics.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #4
Dualsport4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Nice work. I like the fairing- looks like it will provide good wind protection. I agree with painting low fender. I kinda like the graphics. If any, I would maybe change/modify the tank graphics. Awesome bike - should serve you well. Thanks for posting .
Dualsport4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #5
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
Awesome thread. My rally fairing (with safari tank) left wiring and radiator a bit exposed to mud and dirt with the low front guard so I went back to the high one after a while; the Low one looks cool though.
Old Today, 07:46 AM   #6
VikB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Awesome thread. My rally fairing (with safari tank) left wiring and radiator a bit exposed to mud and dirt with the low front guard so I went back to the high one after a while; the Low one looks cool though.

What about a fender extender for the rear of the low fender?

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:37 AM   #7
juno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
On your way to a great adventure bike! Following the build!
This is the Lynx 2 fairing? Do you prefer that look over the original lynx?
juno is offline   Reply With Quote