Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #166
Supersignet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Sorry, I didn't think that site would do any harm. It is after all the motorcycle factory's website. But a lot of Chinese websites are really garbage.

I took an image of the page with the specs and hosted it on photobucket for those who are interested in looking but don't want to visit the site. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to send them to shoddy site.

dimensions(LWH)(mm) 21408101140
wheel base(mm) 1450
weight(kg) 131
dry weight (kg) 100
engine model D8TC
front wheel 110-70/17
rear wheel 140/70-17
compression 8.8:1
power(PS/r/min) 30PS/9000R
torque(\kg-m/min) 3.4kg-m/5.500rpm
max speed(km/h) ≥140

Supersignet screwed with this post 02-17-2008 at 10:22 PM
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #167
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,576
Wow! What a blatant rip-off of an XR400. Looks like they just took a pic of a Honda and photoshopped their logo on it, too. The Chinese factories have no shame I guess.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #168
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider
There was a artical several years ago in one of the major publications where someone did what you describe except they used the entire atv motor which not only retained the electric starter but also the atv's reverse.

An XR400R with reverse? cool!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #169
Supersignet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Wow! What a blatant rip-off of an XR400. Looks like they just took a pic of a Honda and photoshopped their logo on it, too. The Chinese factories have no shame I guess.
Actually the factory bought the tooling from Honda and has a the rights to manufacture the bike.

Most of the bike factories in China legally license or have legally bought their engine tooling from Japanese companies. Many of these factories also turn out Honda bikes, Yamahas and Suzukis. They just stamp a different name on the bike as it is being assembled.

I am friends with the domestic sales rep for this factory due to the fact that I am the first white guy to buy a bike directly from the factory. If anyone wants I can update the threah when I know more about what is going on with the bike.

I'd have no problem riding this one....
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #170
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersignet
Actually the factory bought the tooling from Honda and has a the rights to manufacture the bike.

Most of the bike factories in China legally license or have legally bought their engine tooling from Japanese companies. Many of these factories also turn out Honda bikes, Yamahas and Suzukis. They just stamp a different name on the bike as it is being assembled.

I am friends with the domestic sales rep for this factory due to the fact that I am the first white guy to buy a bike directly from the factory. If anyone wants I can update the threah when I know more about what is going on with the bike.

Interested to hear first hand how the bike compares.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #171
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforsythe
I'm about to that point. Any special tricks to it on this bike?
besides following the starting procedure. make sure to do all these things.
-gordon mods from TT (thumper talk)
-properly adjusted valves!
-denso iridium plug: IX24
http://www.amazon.com/IX24-Denso-Iri.../dp/B000HDGRDO
there is no direct cross as the xr4 plug is one of a kind. the IX24 is the same shape, pitch, legnth etc. only difference it has full legnth threads. i was one of first to discover and use this plug. currently it has had years of use by most TT users, with zero problems. it makes a world of difference starting & running the bike. no XR4 should be without it!
-remove the resistor:
http://www.kamware.com/vtr1000f/resistor1.htm
there is one in the plug anyway and i doubt any of you will be riding and listening to the radio. another well publicised TT mod w/ years of use.
-make sure the the fuel screw plug is removed and the screw is adjusted out properly. i use an extended lever one so i can fine tune on the fly:
http://www.koubalink.com/fuelscrew.html
-make sure you're jetted properly!!!!!!!
0000 ft > 160 / 60
1600 ft > 158 / 58
3200 ft > 155 / 55
5000 ft > 152 / 52
6500 ft > 150 / 50
9800 ft > 148 / 48

if you have all these things done/adjusted right then using the proper starting procedure to prime the engine should result in it firing with only 2 kicks at max. mine often fires in 1 kick! if the bike has sat for more than 2 weeks it becomes harder and will take longer. one of the best tricks is to point a lamp or space heater and warm the carb/engine area.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #172
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
I know it sounds stupid, but just in case...

Make sure you are getting the choke position correct - up is on and down is off. I had it the other way around when I first got the bike and got to the point of asking someone else to come over and kick it for me since I thought I had a defective leg...
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #173
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:

interesting news, but not unexpected.
honda has a lot of cross/out-sourced production of bikes for different markets through out the world.
cheaper markets get older technology bikes. the xr4 will never disapear from the world market. it will always be found somewhere as it is such a perfect longevity motor. we're so obsesed with new bling in this country that we get it, even if it's not the most reliable.

wonder how this pans out as honda still makes the the xr4 as a motard in japan for that market and a few others. my guess is a better produced bike than the chinese version.

honda italy then takes the motard version and produces this:

the xr4 motor is also found in an atv.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #174
rforsythe
You'll shoot your eye out

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
besides following the starting procedure. make sure to do all these things.
Cool thanks for the info! I wouldn't have thought to buy plugs from Amazon of all places (I guess I still think of them as a book store).

Since I have the pumper carb upgrade, the Gordon's jetting numbers won't work, but I have spoken with someone at XR's Only who gave me the recommended numbers and that part is set right.

Since I purchased the bike used and I doubt the previous owner ever did the valves, I will check those next. I'll do the plug and wire at the same time though for good measure. I also figure it couldn't hurt to just tear it down and regrease/retorque everything while I'm at it.
...There's a general risk of racing that can be managed, and then there's being stalled in a silt bed, in the middle of the night, zero visibility, with a bunch of San Bernadino tweakers bearing down in their 5000 lb chevy...
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #175
rforsythe
You'll shoot your eye out

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
I know it sounds stupid, but just in case...

Make sure you are getting the choke position correct - up is on and down is off. I had it the other way around when I first got the bike and got to the point of asking someone else to come over and kick it for me since I thought I had a defective leg...
Pumper carb. The choke is on the carb itself, out is choked and in is "off". :)
...There's a general risk of racing that can be managed, and then there's being stalled in a silt bed, in the middle of the night, zero visibility, with a bunch of San Bernadino tweakers bearing down in their 5000 lb chevy...
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #176
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,366
Quote:

Most of the bike factories in China legally license or have legally bought their engine tooling from Japanese companies. Many of these factories also turn out Honda bikes, Yamahas and Suzukis.
I saw the Lifan 200 at the Denver IMS show a few years back, was noting to the dealer/rep there how much the engine resembled an XR200 mill. He said it was built under license from Honda, etc.

re: the ATV motor deal - when I was looking for XR400's a couple years back, I ran across one for sale online. It was in Oklahoma, and I was pretty much set to buy it (it had been done right and was a low mile XR to begin with - very nice) when I found one here in town - a std. XR, no e-start, for a great price...and jumped on it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #177
Enigma
Wet Behind the Ears

Oddometer: 38
I want an XR400R... any of you want to let go of one?!?!?!?!

Enigma

"Why cant we Americans get cool shit like that? "

"...because the consumer wants Harleys, crotch-rockets, and cruisers, and not real motorcycles that actually do shit."
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #178
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
I want an XR400R... any of you want to let go of one?!?!?!?!

Enigma
If you find a reasonable deal, don't hesitate and buy it. Many of the XR owners, especially the plated ones, have them for keeps. The XR will have the same desire value as the Elsinore MT250 in the future, if not soon.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #179
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
I have a '96 XR400 punched out to 440. Not cheap, but it is sweet. I was amazed to find this thread. An e-start XR4 is the ticket. Doing it with quad parts is $$ but the solution. Mine has always started poorly cold..even doing all the carb tricks. Once fully warmed up, it restarts with 1 kick. I sure would like one of the italian SM's.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #180
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford
I have a '96 XR400 punched out to 440. Not cheap, but it is sweet. I was amazed to find this thread. An e-start XR4 is the ticket. Doing it with quad parts is $$ but the solution. Mine has always started poorly cold..even doing all the carb tricks. Once fully warmed up, it restarts with 1 kick. I sure would like one of the italian SM's.

Pics?