Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #211
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
now you're ready for a real big adventure.
looks good!

another mod to think about is an updated rear disc guard.
i've seen alot of those plastic ones get smashed way too easily.
i bought a alum one of ebay. devol makes a nicer wrap around one. scotts builds the bomb but it's $$$$

fyi, keep the stock shift lever. it's soft to bend/flex in case of a crash. the xr uses a smaller diam shift lever and thus several have reported upgrading the shift lever (which they felt was too soft) with a stiffer on and then crashing and snapping the shaft (big pain to fix) the stock one bends back just fine every time.

also make sure you pull & lube the swing arm bolt (if you haven't yet) before springtime stream crossing!!!!!

i still laugh at your horn. my horn is me screaming in my helmet...get the f*ck outtta my way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I put the Big tank on the XR today.... Thanks Eakins!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 03-10-2008 at 01:44 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #212
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
A very muddy weekend in Loooooseeanna

The ride leader and I swapped bikes for a bit so he could play on the 400. He liiiiiiiiked it!

This was a graceful dismount on top of a hill. I gassed it to make the climb, only to find that there wasn't as much runoff at the top as I'd have liked - I grabbed the front brake and the front washed. I ejected to the left and stayed on two feet
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #213
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
A very muddy weekend in Loooooseeanna

Sweet pic!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #214
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
now you're ready for a real big adventure.
looks good!

another mod to think about is an updated rear disc guard.
i've seen alot of those plastic ones get smashed way too easily.
i bought a alum one of ebay. devol makes a nicer wrap around one. scotts builds the bomb but it's $$$$

fyi, keep the stock shift lever. it's soft to bend/flex in case of a crash. the xr uses a smaller diam shift lever and thus several have reported upgrading the shift lever (which they felt was too soft) with a stiffer on and then crashing and snapping the shaft (big pain to fix) the stock one bends back just fine every time.

also make sure you pull & lube the swing arm bolt (if you haven't yet) before springtime stream crossing!!!!!

i still laugh at your horn. my horn is me screaming in my helmet...get the f*ck outtta my way.
Bill,

I hope to find a better disc guard soon. Mine's already cracked, and I'm finding that I throw this bike down in the rocks alot more than I do my 950.

Swingarm lube is gonna have to wait until after the Kokopelli Ride this weekend. I've just run out of time.

I also found the "quiet" spark arrest/baffle for the discontinued White Bros. pipe I have on ebay. Can't wait to get that thing on- it's entirely too loud like it is.

Another thing I did, per your advice, is slid the forks down in the triple clamps. I haven't had much chance to test it, other than in my alley, but it already feels more stable. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the tank!

BTW- I'm still looking for a Adventure Hello Kitty sticker for my horn.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #215
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
All hail the XR!!! I just got my tenticals on a cherry '03 with about 1200 on the clock. It is nicely upgraded (clarke 4gal, pro tapers, roost protectors, wide pegs, heavy duty clutch upgrade, and yes, it has a scotts sharkfin).
Attached Images

SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #216
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
All hail the XR!!! I just got my tenticals on a cherry '03 with about 1200 on the clock. It is nicely upgraded (clarke 4gal, pro tapers, roost protectors, wide pegs, heavy duty clutch upgrade, and yes, it has a scotts sharkfin).
Nice Steed!!

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #217
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Sweet pic!
I think I had the lil bike revved out in that bit of play time.... I wish they woulda gotten the donut pics....
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #218
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
I think I had the lil bike revved out in that bit of play time.... I wish they woulda gotten the donut pics....
Rides much better when it's not coughing and spitting, huh?

You were too far away to get decent pic. Here's the others, but that one was the best of them.

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #219
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

And of course, there was this...

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #220
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
And of course, there was this...

You touched the ground that time! See, picture proof!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #221
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
man you guys gotta come ride colorado with those xrs!
they need to touch the motherland.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #222
2old2race
I wana ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
man you guys gotta come ride colorado with those xrs!
they need to touch the motherland.
I'd love to bring my XR to Colorado if I had an invitation..

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #223
KLRnow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
'02 XR400R questions

I posted this in thumpers as it's own thread, but things get buried extremely quickly, so looking to increase my chances of helpful advice...
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on an '02. Very, very nice condition. $2200.00. Owner will not budge on price...yet.
It was 35 degrees out, and the bike was an absolute bear to start. We almost gave up. It finally started. (75 kicks??) He said it hadn't been started in a few months. Also, when leaned over on it's side, gas drained out of the vent hose. I think the float may have been stuck. I tapped on the bowl after about 50 kicks.
The owner says that once warm, it starts easily, which I saw to be somewhat true. He did say that when he is out riding, on a 65-70 degree day, that if he stops for over a half hour, it is again, difficult to start.
Once it started, it took along time to warm up. When it would stall, it didn't chug and then stall, it was abrupt. Like flipping a switch. When snapping the throttle open, there was a noticable hesitation before it would come to life.
Is this bike just way too lean? If so, what are the recommended jet sizes? (Michigan, stock exhaust, UNI filter. I have also heard that the iridium plug makes a big difference. If so, which one?
Any and all advice, comments will be appreciated. I really want to snatch this up, but am concerned.
Sorry for the long post, but am trying to give as many "clues" as i have. I want this bike, but I dread the hard starting issue, as sometimes you find yourself in very precarious situations, where a few kicks is difficult enough, not to mention the energy it takes, and the slight embarrassment.
Please, help me to run away, ease my mind, give any and all fixes, pointers, etc. I am not sure the owner had the exact starting drill down either.
I have never had a kick-only 4-stroke, only 2 strokes. I have a KLR now, but am looking to get a bit dirtier with this addition. I take my KLR places I probably shouldn't now.

Thanks!!
Mike
KLRnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #224
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRnow
I posted this in thumpers as it's own thread, but things get buried extremely quickly, so looking to increase my chances of helpful advice...
I don't know all the technical stuff, but the XR is a picky starter. Thing is, once you get used to it - you'll be able to do it easily hot or cold. This is the first bike I've ever had to kick start and at first it was tough. I almost gave up.

But I'm glad I didn't!

When mine is cold, it likes the idle knob turned up a half to a full turn with full choke. If it's been sititng more than a half hour, it likes about a quarter turn with half choke. Once it's idling with the choke off, I turn the knob back down and it's good to go.

I've also heard (but can't really confirm yet) that they like to have the carb emptied if you won't be riding it for a week or a more. Last run of the day, I come back and just turn the fuel off while it's still running and let it die on its own so I know it's drained. Next time you start it, just prime it with 8-10 full (easy) kicks with the decomp lever pulled in and it should be good to go.

If it goes over while running and you don't kill it, I found that hot or cold, it takes half choke and about a quarter turn on the idle knob again. You get used to it. Maybe 6 or 7 kicks flooded.

Whatever you do - do NOT grab for throttle when you're starting it. It'll flood in a heartbeat.

If it's been sitting, save your kicking leg and just pull and clean the carb. I don't know about jetting #s personally, but if it's set up for your altitude a clean carb should be all it needs.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky screwed with this post 03-13-2008 at 12:40 AM
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #225
2old2race
I wana ride

Hey Mike

I had that same hesitation when cracking the throttle too. Put on a pumper carb from XR's only and night and day difference. Sounds to me like you have run across a nice bike, you will never regret buying a XR400. On the recomendation of one of the inmates here, I turned on one of my shop lights and pointed it directly at the enging on a very cold morning for about 15 min to warm things up, 2 - kicks and it was running. Turning up the idle screw for warm up worked great too.

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone