Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #2326
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
I didn't mind so much pulling the sub frame as I needed to inspect the tell tale weld breaks and sure enough the paint is cracked but I can't tell if its cracked yet so I'm going to go ahead and strip it down and reweld and add some bracing. I also have a strange condition where the right rear corner seam of the air box is separated. It looks like a stress crack that just vibrated till it separated the full length. I've got a plastic welding rig so no worries.

Its got a Uni foam filter and the baffle tip has been removed. Do you think that is why the jetting may have been increase to 145 from 138? Also where is the screen everyone is talking about that needs to be removed? If its between the airbox and the rubber intake boot then the whole damn thing has already been removed. If its somewhere else I haven't found it yet.

I've just read through the carburetor section of my manual and its kind of interesting. Stock jetting in 1996-97 models was 62 pilot, 162 main. 1998-on was 52 pilot, 142 main. I realize it was right about the time emissions standards changed but that's a pretty radical reduction in jetting!

Thanks again for the help so far. Later T

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #2327
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles
Also where is the screen everyone is talking about that needs to be removed? If its between the airbox and the rubber intake boot then the whole damn thing has already been removed. If its somewhere else I haven't found it yet.
It's been 15 years, but I think I remember pulling/cutting the screen out of the snorkle under the seat and also pulling/cutting a screen off of the cage that holds the air filter. Can anyone confirm or correct my memories?
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #2328
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
My buddy Jared is 5'10" and 150lbs soaking wet. I know he'll be able to go faster, basic physics. I just was hoping to get a bike I could also ride for other reasons in other conditions.
I resemble that remark.

Quote:
We're not in a race on this trip but I also don't want him to be a hazard doing 60 flat out on highways with 75 as the speed limit.
There is a trick to fix this. Its simple. Its effective. STAY OFF OF THOSE ROADS! The XR4 really sucks at anything above 60, really. Its a trail bike man...
You say you are planning the route yourself??? Its totally up to you, you ALWAYs plan a trip around the weakest link.

Quote:
I totally understand it being two different bikes designed for two different worlds but I also know my girl is scared to death of my XR6 and my buddy is a little intimidated by its ease of wheel stands. LOL. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again, Later T
I can wheel stand my XRL in first and second easily............ This was in about 3rd or 4th (with some assistance...) was higher, but camera got what it got...
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #2329
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

LaOT, You have yours set up with the 5.8G tank? Do you like it? have you ever ridden with it totally full? Did you change your front springs? If so what rate spring do you suggest? I've been toying with the idea of the 5.8G verses the 4G for the 400. I'm already set on the 5.8 for my 600 for obvious reasons but I don't want to have to carry spare fuel for my buddy just in case we encounter a long stretch between fuel stops. I'd rather he have enough from the start.

I was a little too ambitious to think we could do 500+ miles each day for 3 weeks on DS bikes. I think we'd all die somewhere along the route. That would be a race. But I also feel like planning for 250 miles a day knowing the route we'd all like to cover works out to a totally unrealistic time frame.

Even if I trailer the bikes to Denver to meet up with the rest of the gang, which has not been ruled out, we're still looking to cover 4K-6K miles total. That's 16-24 days at 250 a day. I may have to settle for this as a compromise.

I've always wanted to write about this trip since we conceived it a few years ago. I'm thinking of started a daily updated Blog as the trip comes closer to actually happening and then taking my Army surplus laptop to upload pictures from the ride every few days along the route. (Wherever I have an internet signal from my Sprint Datalink card.) My cousin is a professional movie director for Independent films and he's setting me up with a pair of digital helmet cam's so we can record hands free while riding. I mostly want them so I don't have to stop every 100 yards to take a picture. I can record say 10 minutes at a time then pick out still's from the footage each evening. Also my cousin has agreed to help me edit all the data and upload movie clips to the Blog. Something I have no idea how to do.

Anyway thanks for all your help so far, I'll post some pictures of the bikes soon as I get my camera back from girlfriend, long story, left it at her house after taking late night nudies of her. LOL and don't ask, I won't defile her on the internet for all you poor desk jockeys.

Later T

Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #2330
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
any of you guys have any luck fitting an aftermarket DOT light besides the Baja standard light on your XR400?? I tried fitting a UFO and it doesn't fit cause of the oil cooler. Now I'm thinking Trail Tech 8" with a VW golf lens in it cause it may work..I need to set up my DS for plate and registration quick..and I don't wanna spend a ton ordering different lights just to see if they fit..thanks
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #2331
kawamatt2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I went with the Acerbis Dimension HP. It comes with a 35/35 watt HS1 bulb but can be upgraded to any H4 bulb you have power for. I went with it cause it looked the most like stock of any i saw. It has a good pattern on low and will throw some light on high.

I have it fitted pretty high for two reasons; to give good airflow over the oil cooler and maybe give me some better wind protection than a lower facia.

kawamatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #2332
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I had an older Acerbis DHH for a while, it's okay as long as you aren't planning on driving at night

went with the BD unit, works better, looks better (IMO)

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #2333
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
The only screen is the one that's a part of the stock air filter cage. That gets replaced with the UNI filter, as it comes with it's own cage.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #2334
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42
The only screen is the one that's a part of the stock air filter cage. That gets replaced with the UNI filter, as it comes with it's own cage.
I knew my memory was poor. Thanks for the clarification. NX
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #2335
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
LaOT, You have yours set up with the 5.8G tank? Do you like it? have you ever ridden with it totally full? Did you change your front springs? If so what rate spring do you suggest? I've been toying with the idea of the 5.8G verses the 4G for the 400. I'm already set on the 5.8 for my 600 for obvious reasons but I don't want to have to carry spare fuel for my buddy just in case we encounter a long stretch between fuel stops. I'd rather he have enough from the start.

I was a little too ambitious to think we could do 500+ miles each day for 3 weeks on DS bikes. I think we'd all die somewhere along the route. That would be a race. But I also feel like planning for 250 miles a day knowing the route we'd all like to cover works out to a totally unrealistic time frame.

Even if I trailer the bikes to Denver to meet up with the rest of the gang, which has not been ruled out, we're still looking to cover 4K-6K miles total. That's 16-24 days at 250 a day. I may have to settle for this as a compromise.

I've always wanted to write about this trip since we conceived it a few years ago. I'm thinking of started a daily updated Blog as the trip comes closer to actually happening and then taking my Army surplus laptop to upload pictures from the ride every few days along the route. (Wherever I have an internet signal from my Sprint Datalink card.) My cousin is a professional movie director for Independent films and he's setting me up with a pair of digital helmet cam's so we can record hands free while riding. I mostly want them so I don't have to stop every 100 yards to take a picture. I can record say 10 minutes at a time then pick out still's from the footage each evening. Also my cousin has agreed to help me edit all the data and upload movie clips to the Blog. Something I have no idea how to do.

Anyway thanks for all your help so far, I'll post some pictures of the bikes soon as I get my camera back from girlfriend, long story, left it at her house after taking late night nudies of her. LOL and don't ask, I won't defile her on the internet for all you poor desk jockeys.

Later T
Poor desk jockeys? I actually work for a living! Hah.

Bike.
5.8 gal tank is pretty big, it works though. I took it off of my XR650L and fabbed up my own mounts. Yes, I have ridden with it full. Only time I really feel the fuel is when its about half full and sloshing around. But not that bad. Range is huge-ish! If I had to buy a gas tank for my 400 I would get the 4.0. I'd get the 4.0 for my 650 if I had to do it again, also.

I'd say you are DAMN ambitious if you plan on covering that much ground. 250 a day on any sort of dirt road is very unlikely and will be primarily pavement. 500miles/day will be 100% road. Let me just say, I wouldnt go on the trip if I were invited.
I'm not going to tell you what to do as far as trips go... but me myself and I would plan a shorter trip... say to Colorado or Utah... hell even Idaho has good riding. But, plan to cover less geographical distance and ENJOY the ride. I guarantee if you pack on that many miles you will regret it and not enjoy it.4-6000 miles could almost get you to Alaska.

Video is fun, hard work. Especially the editing. This is half of my video from a trip to Mexico... took me nearly 2 weeks to edit this out... and I still have some personal quarrels with the outcome. But, its a rewarding gift to yourself when you are done...

I'll probably get bitched at for this but here is a recent video from a 4x4 trip. Its worth a look though...

LaOutbackTrail screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 03:26 PM
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #2336
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Thanks for posting that! I enjoyed watching it. Yep your totally right, I must have been really tired when I first thought of this. I've been set back into place by not only you but several of my other riding mates. In fact two of my friends from Denver have now backed out for other reasons (prior engagements) so I'm rethinking the plans altogether.

I think now its looking like a truck ride with trailer from TX to Durango, CO and a 14-18 day ride through Utah, a section of Eastern Nevada, up to Idaho and back down through North Utah and on to NW Colorado to Durango.

We'll see, this plan may change once again as time creeps closer to Sept. Anyway thanks so much for the advice. Talk soon T

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 AM   #2337
pzs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
xr400 dakar fairing

any one tried modifing the stock headlight surround, and tranforming it into a dakar high screen, I have seen others eg klr's and dr 650 and the like, but nothing for our beloved xr400's,
pzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #2338
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
The last farkle for awhile. Baja Designs analog speedo.

I think I'll wait until it gets a little warmer before I try doing 160mph. I'm not sure but I think I may need a smaller rear sprocket, like a 4t.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #2339
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr

I think I'll wait until it gets a little warmer before I try doing 160mph. I'm not sure but I think I may need a smaller rear sprocket, like a 4t.
And a C-130 to drop her out of

Just a heads up guys..I'm in and out of the XR4 thing pretty quickly..just not big enough for my big ass body and I need something a little more street worthy..sucks..but I'm selling my tricked out XR4 as well..here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573442

Bonebag screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 06:20 PM
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #2340
XRizal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs
any one tried modifing the stock headlight surround, and tranforming it into a dakar high screen, I have seen others eg klr's and dr 650 and the like, but nothing for our beloved xr400's,
here is mine...

nothing fancy...just added a gs650 dakar windshield onto a DRZ headlight plastic...i'm still using a stock XR4 big headlight under plastic with extended bracket to fit...

moves well at 60-70mph with much less fatigue on hwy...not a full fairing but it does its job the way i want it to...

*April '04 - Sept '10 : 1996 XR400RV BigTankerEdition
*Sept '10 - Current : 2009 Tenere XT660Z Beige
XRizal is offline   Reply With Quote